Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

12 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Is he a 3-4 or 4-3 guy?  Don't know much about him.

Hopefully he's a 11 men on D at the start of the play guy.  Or not a have safeties sprint 20-30 yards across the field seconds before the snap or blitz DBs from 15 yards out guy

Just now, deltarich87 said:

Perhaps. Them moving on Pettine could be a sign that they expect both Bradley and Fangio to re-up with their current teams

There's no way MM didn't reach out and gauge interest if he was also interested though is my point.

Could very likely be Pettine was his top guy. Both were grad assts back in Pitt (couple years apart) so he may have been familiar with him for awhile.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

this better not be the case or they better get veterans. Otherwise it’s the same mistake that GB had with Dom Capers

"the way their salary is constructed they really have to play w a lot of young guys on defense..."

Huh? Packers cap situation is in great shape. Yes, they have the mega extension with Rodgers looming, with reports that they plan on getting that done this offseason, but they'll be freeing up cap space by cutting/restructuring guys

Just now, deltarich87 said:

"the way their salary is constructed they really have to play w a lot of young guys on defense..."

Huh? Packers cap situation is in great shape. Yes, they have the mega extension with Rodgers looming, with reports that they plan on getting that done this offseason, but they'll be freeing up cap space by cutting/restructuring guys

link ?

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

My only concern would be that Fangio has shown he can do more with less.

If Pettine needs a star studded roster for his defense to work, that is a concern. We will have a $30m QB soon

Show me a stud defense that wasn't star studded...   To get a defense as good as what he had with the Jets you need to be able to develop players..  I don't know that we had that here the last few years...  Unless it's all on Ted...

Just now, ptisme said:

Show me a stud defense that wasn't star studded...   To get a defense as good as what he had with the Jets you need to be able to develop players..  I don't know that we had that here the last few years...  Unless it's all on Ted...

We don't need a stud defense. Hard to argue what Fangio did in Chicago with what he had to work with. Tell me Pettine can do the same

Archived