Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Are you talking about the 2009 Jets? That roster is the actual definition of mediocre. Revis was on an island in 2009, he was the only star on that defense.

Disagree 

You don't have a defense like that without a lot of very very good players. I would list of bunch of stats, but it's not worth it

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Disagree 

You don't have a defense like that without a lot of very very good players. I would list of bunch of stats, but it's not worth it

Yeah but just look at the names though. That wasn't some star studded defense, even though this thread and that tweet probably sold it a bit short.

I don't think them putting up stats (if it's that specific year) proves anything different?

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

Yeah but just look at the names though. That wasn't some star studded defense, even though this thread and that tweet probably sold it a bit short.

I don't think them putting up stats (if it's that specific year) proves anything different?

IIRC

Off the top of my head - Harris - Scott - Leonhard - Rhodes - Revis - Lowery - Pace - Ellis - were all very good players. 

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

IIRC

Off the top of my head - Harris - Scott - Leonhard - Rhodes - Revis - Lowery - Pace - Ellis - were all very good players. 

I don't know if I would go far as very good with Lowery. Interesting versatility though. He was a young pup then too. Pace was never bad but I just never saw anything in him other than solid. Hey I'll eat a ton of snaps and get you a half dozen sacks.

Leohnard and Kerry were both solid safeties no doubt. I'd be more inclined to call Rhodes very good than Jim though.

Can't fight you on the rest.. Bart Harris and Shaun were good football players. It's just impressive they did so well with that roster instead of better ones we've seen who couldn't put up those numbers

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I don't know if I would go far as very good with Lowery. Interesting versatility though. He was a young pup then too. Pace was never bad but I just never saw anything in him other than solid. Hey I'll eat a ton of snaps and get you a half dozen sacks.

Leohnard and Kerry were both solid safeties no doubt. I'd be more inclined to call Rhodes very good than Jim though.

Can't fight you on the rest.. Bart Harris and Shaun were good football players. It's just impressive they did so well with that roster instead of better ones we've seen who couldn't put up those numbers

Well we'll see next year how much difference Pettine makes. 

17 minutes ago, cannondale said:

IIRC

Take off Revis and I would take Perry, Matthews, Daniels, 2017 Clark and 2016 HHCD over all those players.

That defense was coached to greatness 100%, talent wise, they had no holes but "solid" is the best I'd call them.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Take off Revis and I would take Perry, Matthews, Daniels, 2017 Clark and 2016 HHCD over all those players.

That defense was coached to greatness 100%, talent wise, they had no holes but "solid" is the best I'd call them.

Too many clarifications and omissions for me to agree - but it's nothing to argue about

I have no idea how much Pettine will make a difference. We'll see

Seeing Ahmad Carrol on his roster made me hopeful that we won't completely suck once we have to bring the old squad back together at the end of this coming season to have Gunter, Dorleant, Hawkins, Pipkins and Donatello Brown as our only healthy cornerbacks heading into the playoffs next year.  At least Gute will actually sign Gunter and Dorleant unlike Thompson, who promoted a WR converted to Cornerback when the Packers were down almost all corners and were about to face the league's number one passing and scoring offense two years ago. 

21 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Pardon my ignorance, but has there been a Pettine sighting in Indy this week ?

I didn't see him, but I haven't watched all of the workouts.  I saw Jerry Montgomery, our DL coach, on the field during DL exercises today.  On Friday I saw Ben Sirmans, our RB coach on the field  with the RB prospects too.

Archived