Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

Just now, Leader said:

Thats an interesting observation. Do you have anymore fruit to put on that tree? From "where" within the organization and possibly why the dissatisfaction.......

I posted that -- or was one of the guys that did. Can't remember where I saw it, could have been a McGinn nugget or someone else in the midst of all the madness. There was no other information that came along with it.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats an interesting observation. Do you have anymore fruit to put on that tree? From "where" within the organization and possibly why the dissatisfaction.......

It came from McGinn, so it has to be taken worth a grain of salt.  Nothing really tangible, but something that just needs to be noted.  That being said, I've always been under the impression that he was more of a motivator than an X's and O's kind of guy.  Maybe I'm off base on that one, but that was the feeling I got.

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

I posted that -- or was one of the guys that did. Can't remember where I saw it, could have been a McGinn nugget or someone else in the midst of all the madness. There was no other information that came along with it.

Wellllllll hell cannon......you wanna get back to us when you have some details? LOL (Just busting on ya!)

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

It came from McGinn, so it has to be taken worth a grain of salt.  Nothing really tangible, but something that just needs to be noted.  That being said, I've always been under the impression that he was more of a motivator than an X's and O's kind of guy.  Maybe I'm off base on that one, but that was the feeling I got.

Understood and understood in context. Thanks!

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

One of the most mysterious guys on the payroll. At one point it was thought he worked with the ILB ?

Doug Pederson thinks he's stealing money :D

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

This.  I don't buy any reports coming out of a divisional rivals' media station with much value.  To me, it's pretty damn telling that the Packers opted to hire Pettine despite not having actually interviewing Bradley or Fangio.  And the timing of everything is weird.  As soon as news broke that Pettine was their new DC, Fangio re-upped in Chicago and Bradley did the same in Los Angeles.  Maybe the Packers reached out to those two, and got word that they weren't really looking around but I'd tend to think that Pettine was their guy.

Yep.  Believe interest in others was a smokescreen.  Really have to give MM credit on this one.  Really smart smart hire.  Ryan based defenses are consistently among the best in the league.  Said some time ago I wanted a guy from the Ryan coaching tree.  Pettine is extremely well versed.  I think he'll be an excellent coordinator.  Might take a few years to right the ship but expect immediate improvement next year.  Wanted Philbin back as OC and a guy from the Ryan coaching tree.  Got both I am ecstatic.

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Yep.  Believe interest in others was a smokescreen.  Really have to give MM credit on this one.  Really smart smart hire.  Ryan based defenses are consistently among the best in the league.  Said some time ago I wanted a guy from the Ryan coaching tree.  Pettine is extremely well versed.  I think he'll be an excellent coordinator.  Might take a few years to right the ship but expect immediate improvement next year.  Wanted Philbin back as OC and a guy from the Ryan coaching tree.  Got both I am ecstatic.

Why would they need to run a smokescreen for a guy who hasn't coached in 2 years?  I'm sure their interest in all 3 was legitimate whether they had a preference for 1 over the others or not.

On 1/9/2018 at 7:47 PM, persiandud said:

His success with the Jets is very nice. However, Polian's comments make me concerned. Capers was known for having a complex scheme. I was kind of hoping we'd bring in someone to simplify things. 

Well he only knows how to draft for a Tampa-2 and that type of simplicity is stupid nowadays (mostly kidding).

On a serious note though, love the combination of Seattle and Rex's stuff, probably wowed with diversity in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

Why would they need to run a smokescreen for a guy who hasn't coached in 2 years?  I'm sure their interest in all 3 was legitimate whether they had a preference for 1 over the others or not.

You ask a fair question, but deception or misdirection is a big part of the NFL, especially during the draft, FA, and hiring coaches.  Get your opponents focused in the wrong direction and move in quietly on your target.  Not saying I know this to be the truth in this instance, but I tend to agree with scoremore on this.  I also think the Packers legitimately reached out to Bradley and Fangio, and maybe they weren’t confident in their responses.  To many unknowns - we’re all just spitballing here.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe.  I'm just not sure that Mike would make a demand like that.  That being said, I think there were rumblings that some inside the organization had hoped that Winston Moss would move on without being forced to leave.

He had 0 connections with Dom and Mac forced him to keep him.

From what I've heard about the other turd from CLE and SF we interviewed to be our LB coach, I sure as hell hope we keep Moss.

5 hours ago, craig said:

Speight, what is the ideal player profile for that role, and in what way is Ha Ha built for it?  

Is that a role where speed/range is even higher priority (side-to-side coverage so you need to get places fast?)?  Smarts/instincts (quick aptitude to read what's happening and respond smartly/quickly is paramount)?  Tackling?  (last line of defense, so if you miss a tackle who's going to save you?)?  

I have no idea, really.  Just seemed like this year, HaHa always played so far off guys that he'd always let guys get open for first-down completions, and would come in for tackles often but only after the 1st-down conversion;  seemed he always positioned himself so far back from receivers and the first-down marker that if his role or intention was to contest or prevent first downs, he was always late.  

Is that what Capers/Perry/whitt told him to do?  Give tons of space, let them get easy 1st downs, bend-don't-break, just don't get beat deep?  Or did the coaches and scheme allow for him to contest first downs, but he just lacked the instincts and recognition to get there on time?  

You need a guy who can run, but also has a feel for the QBs eyes.

The problem this year was Dom did not trust the corners by the end of the year and we were playing a lot of Quarters and other split safety coverages which makes the safety play from the hash to the sideline or from the middle to the hash. While he was at Alabama he exceled playing a lot of Cover 3, and Cover 1, which is what Bama likes to do, and positions that safety in the middle of the field and lets him read the QB and react. 

Basically single high coverages give more freedom to the safety. I think a lot of his problems this year is they were relying on him to cover up for poor cornerback play, and using him as a safety valve rather then letting him make plays. 

But also this is the NFL, he his gonna be asked to play every type of coverage, and he did play poor last year, so who knows. 

Bama Coverage Scheme - This is what Ha-Ha excelled at. Capers kept making him play quarters and cover 2

Slide13.JPG

The front side players will simply match the receiving threats as they normally would out of Cover 3. A lot can be assumed that the Cover 3 adjustments to spread are philosophical changes in how the secondary is played. Actually, that isn't the case - the 'secondary' teaching is quite subtle. The fulcrum of the Rip/Liz/Mable (3 deep zone) success is going to come with your inside linebackers. Those two players will control the guts of the coverage, and fully support everything that is being handled by the secondary.

As you can see by the diagram, nothing much changes with the secondary players. We will go over how the "alert" players (M&W) are to handle 3x1 formations:

Slide14.JPG
btw - this becomes the "Zeke" adjustment to any trips look

This isn't a different coverage, just a built-in system for handling stressors of the base concept, and doesn't deviate much at all (from the call side) the standard pattern-match rules.

Let's go over the rules.....

dennis-system.jpg

In 3x1 (mable)
Will – backer to the single split side.

• Back flow TO – match it (jump the flare)
  • Back flow AWAY – cut the 1st crosser

Mike – backer to 3 receivers (final 3 player) Related to #3 receiver after distribution

• #3 is inside - ROBOT, depth and jump underneath inside breaking route
  • #3 is outside - push the strong hook

Sam – (to trips) Relate to #2 receiver after distribution.

• #3 inside (M has him) depth and jump #2
  • #3 outside carry inside-underneath

Strong Safety – (to trips)Looking to jump the first underneath receiver. Relate to #1 receiver after distribution)

• #2 outside – jump it
  • #2 inside (S has it) buzz underneath

Corner (to trips) simply plays old 2-to-1 read Cover 3 because he has to match the 1st vertical threat.

Slide15.JPG
Again, as you see the reaction of the inside linebackers becomes the fundamental under current of Rip/Liz/Mable/Skate, allowing them to aggressively play run (flow) and put them in great leverage position based on this reaction. If those inside backers are trained appropriately, you will have an automatic response to handle most every route combination.

As a footnote, I'll just say that we've covered adaptations, the evolution, of standard zone coverage (by one who has been setting successful trends for a few decades). Saban, himself, doesn't just sit in one coverage throughout a game or rely on these rules / adjustments to beat-all. His defenses and how he uses/employs them is actually quite different. Using a 'pro approach', the defense is purely situational and will handle formations, D&D, areas of the field, differently and on a situation-by-situation basis.

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/search/label/Cover 3

Archived