Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

The Packers are bringing back LB coach Scott McCurley, unsure what his role will be. The Packers made two other coaching moves, per Demovsky. They moved Jason Simmons from special teams assistant to a defensive position and hired Maurice Drayton to take Simmons’ old role on special teams.

Is McCarthy the one filling the defensive staff too? Thought he'd leave that up to Pettine. I can't remember but I believe he let Capers fill out his defensive staff after hiring him. It's a bit surprising that we haven't seen any coaches who worked under Pettine being brought in, though I know they interviewed Jim O'Neil before he ended up getting hired by the Raiders

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

I think it's more than interesting that Pettine hasn't brought in a single guy, either from a previous staff or from his other relationships. Mind boggling actually

It's when you examine the 'Why ?" of that it becomes interesting.

Does he wear on people after a while - does he throw others under the bus - does he advance on the backs of others ? Any of these could explain why guys he worked with before, are not being brought in. 

OR

Maybe because he was hired by the Packers in good time,  he was able to get (what he and maybe MM thought was) the absolute best available guys out there. I must say that looking at the guys coming in, they look to me like very good choices as position coaches.

Another side to this is that unlike McCarthy he has't gone back to his roots, so this may indicate his  self-confidence in making things work without any safety net..

37 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Is McCarthy the one filling the defensive staff too? Thought he'd leave that up to Pettine. I can't remember but I believe he let Capers fill out his defensive staff after hiring him. It's a bit surprising that we haven't seen any coaches who worked under Pettine being brought in, though I know they interviewed Jim O'Neil before he ended up getting hired by the Raiders

Its very clear that MM is the one doing the coaching hires for the defence. Any hire with a Pittsburgh connection, whether its living there or for a university or for the Steelers, you can bet it has McCarthy's fingerprints all over it. Pettine has some Pittsburgh background as a graduate assistant at Pittsburgh Panthers, throw in the fact he also ran a successful 3-4 scheme in the NFL and he was probably MM no.1 on the list.

I get the impression that Pettine wasn't an "in-demand" coaching hire. He has been out of the game for two years and it wasn't as if coordinator jobs were lining up for him. So with little leverage he had he took the one coordinator job that was offered to him but it came with limited say on coaching hires but at least he would get to call plays.

Whitt is McCarthy's guy, kept him through two coordinator changes.

Graham through McAdoo connection

Drayton through Whitt

Simmons is someone he's familiar with and also has a Pittsburgh connection. Simmons knows Perry as a player and coach and his promotion might hint towards Perry coming back.

McCurley is another Pittsburgh guy. My theory is his contract was up rather than actually being fired so he was allowed to explore the job market before coming back because he wasn't going to get a promotion here.

Everything stinks of McCarthy doing the hiring.

Thinking back I now suspect it was McCarthy doing the hiring and not Capers. He hired Capers, a coordinator with Pittsburgh connections, he kept ahold of Whitt and Moss, he hired Perry, he hired McCurley, he hired Greene. All those guys had Pittsburgh connections. Only Trgovac I suspect was a Capers hire which would explain why he was fired as soon Capers was fired as he was not Mike's guy.

Maybe he has the same arrangement with Pettine as he did for Capers by allowing him make one hire. At the moment the DL spot has not been filled so a potential candidate could be Jason Rebrovich who is the assistant DL coach for the Jags and has a connection with Pettine from his time on the 2013 Bills. It may explain why the position has yet to be filled as the Jags are still in the playoffs.

15 hours ago, Chili said:

Its very clear that MM is the one doing the coaching hires for the defence. Any hire with a Pittsburgh connection, whether its living there or for a university or for the Steelers, you can bet it has McCarthy's fingerprints all over it. Pettine has some Pittsburgh background as a graduate assistant at Pittsburgh Panthers, throw in the fact he also ran a successful 3-4 scheme in the NFL and he was probably MM no.1 on the list.

I get the impression that Pettine wasn't an "in-demand" coaching hire. He has been out of the game for two years and it wasn't as if coordinator jobs were lining up for him. So with little leverage he had he took the one coordinator job that was offered to him but it came with limited say on coaching hires but at least he would get to call plays.

Whitt is McCarthy's guy, kept him through two coordinator changes.

Graham through McAdoo connection

Drayton through Whitt

Simmons is someone he's familiar with and also has a Pittsburgh connection. Simmons knows Perry as a player and coach and his promotion might hint towards Perry coming back.

McCurley is another Pittsburgh guy. My theory is his contract was up rather than actually being fired so he was allowed to explore the job market before coming back because he wasn't going to get a promotion here.

Everything stinks of McCarthy doing the hiring.

Thinking back I now suspect it was McCarthy doing the hiring and not Capers. He hired Capers, a coordinator with Pittsburgh connections, he kept ahold of Whitt and Moss, he hired Perry, he hired McCurley, he hired Greene. All those guys had Pittsburgh connections. Only Trgovac I suspect was a Capers hire which would explain why he was fired as soon Capers was fired as he was not Mike's guy.

Maybe he has the same arrangement with Pettine as he did for Capers by allowing him make one hire. At the moment the DL spot has not been filled so a potential candidate could be Jason Rebrovich who is the assistant DL coach for the Jags and has a connection with Pettine from his time on the 2013 Bills. It may explain why the position has yet to be filled as the Jags are still in the playoffs.

I was under the impression that the HC is usually the one who does the hiring and firing of assistants?

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

I was under the impression that the HC is usually the one who does the hiring and firing of assistants?

I don't know .. I kind of thought thatMcCarthy would hire his DC and then let him select his assistants .. or at minimum let him have major input.  Who knows .. maybe Pettine is fully on board with every move that's been made so far.  None of us really can answer that. 

48 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't know .. I kind of thought thatMcCarthy would hire his DC and then let him select his assistants .. or at minimum let him have major input.  Who knows .. maybe Pettine is fully on board with every move that's been made so far.  None of us really can answer that. 

Considering Pettine is the one that has to work with these guys 16 hours a day, and agree on philosophy and scheme, and not hate each other for no good reason, and not MM, I find it very peculiar. How is it that there isn't a single guy Pettine wants to bring in ? How is it that he would agree to offensive minded MM bringing in his staff ? Sounds like a built in excuse for failure before it even starts. Hope there is a news conference soon and someone has the balls to ask the question

39 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Considering Pettine is the one that has to work with these guys 16 hours a day, and agree on philosophy and scheme, and not hate each other for no good reason, and not MM, I find it very peculiar. How is it that there isn't a single guy Pettine wants to bring in ? How is it that he would agree to offensive minded MM bringing in his staff ? Sounds like a built in excuse for failure before it even starts. Hope there is a news conference soon and someone has the balls to ask the question

This could be a good question for the General forum to see if the HC or DC hires defensive assistants on their teams...

Archived