Where Do We Get Our D-Line Help From?

Just Want A Title

The Lions pass-rush was terrible this year.  I am not sold on Ziggy Ansah.  He got the majority of his sacks in 3 games against some not-so-great players.  That said we have, legitimate needs at DT and DE.  The real question is where do we get that help from?  There are several options from free agency and the draft:

DE

1.  Sign Demarcus Lawrence.  Since Marinelli has been fired he might willing to move on.

2.  Our draft options will probably include Marcus Davenport, Clellin Ferrell, Sam Hubbard (probably will be a rising prospect) and Duke Ejiofor.  Davenport would be a bit of a gamble but Ferrell, Hubbard and Ejiofor seem like solid players.  I have an early man-crush on Sam Hubbard.

DT

1.  Re-sigh Haloti Ngata to a 1or 2-year deal.  We still need him.

2.  Sign Bennie Logan

3.  Our draft options will probably include Vita Vea (not much pass rush help but might help A"Shawn Robinson), Harrison Phillips, Da'Ron Payne, Christian Wilkins or Taven Bryan.  One sleeper that may go higher than people think as the draft gets closer:  Folorunso Fatukasi.  Good size.  Had good stats despite not having a lot of help around him (and he has an awesome name).

What does everyone think our best options are to upgrade our D-line and pass-rush?

I'm not sold on Ansah at the moment but I think that Bob Quinn will bring him back either way. Ansah is going to be in high demand on the open market. I expect he'll come back on a 3 year deal or the franchise tag (more likely FT). We have the cap space to handle it and it would buy more time one way or another. I'm expecting Ngata is brought back on a 2 year deal, which is really going to be a one year deal. He wants to come back and we did miss having him in that spot. Even if this does happen, we still need to bring in guys to contribute and replace Ngata and/or Ansah. At minimum Ansah needs a reliable option on the other side. One of our issues in terms of pass-rush is that we couldn't stop the run. Teams seemed to have no problem running the ball on us which is going to drastically reduce your pass-rushing abilities. If you're able to make a team one dimensional and put them into obvious passing situations, you can let your pass rushers go all out and make plays.

Basically, I think the fix is:

- Stop the run: Ngata, Robinson and a new addition (either FA or the draft) need to clamp down on the run game

-Healthy Ansah: He struggled with some injuries, which did hurt his effectiveness. While the numbers are a little sneaky, he still had 10 sacks.

- Help at DE: We really need to add a bookend to help Ansah and be another pass rushing option. Possibly Ansah's replacement next season. We'll likely have to address this in the draft. Should bring in some help in FA

I believe the Lions will franchise Ansah.  Remember, Hyder will be back.  He had 8.5 sacks in 2016, mostly without Ziggy.  I think Ngata is going to retire.  I'd sign him to a 1 yr deal, but not as your starter.  He's been injured most of the last 2 yrs.  Not sure how much he has left.  Draft a DT and let Ngata take him under his wing like he did with A'Shawn. 

5 hours ago, lioneye22 said:

I believe the Lions will franchise Ansah.  Remember, Hyder will be back.  He had 8.5 sacks in 2016, mostly without Ziggy.  I think Ngata is going to retire.  I'd sign him to a 1 yr deal, but not as your starter.  He's been injured most of the last 2 yrs.  Not sure how much he has left.  Draft a DT and let Ngata take him under his wing like he did with A'Shawn. 

Haloti Ngata has long been a big veteran presence for the Detroit Lions defensive line. He did the dirty work on the interior of the run defense, and his value was perhaps best noticed when he finally left the field, and Detroit's run defense sort of fell apart.

The five-time Pro Bowler is now 33 years old, fresh off biceps surgery and headed for free agency, but he told 97.1 The Ticket that he'd like to keep on playing, and he'd like to do it in Detroit.

"If I finished the year healthy, I would have been a little closer to retiring," Ngata told the Jamie and Stoney show Friday. "But I want to finish a season, so I want to keep on playing."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/01/haloti_ngata_wants_to_return_t.html

Ansah is a great player to use that franchise tag on. The team clearly needs help with the D-Line, but he's too risky to give a long big-money deal to. Tag him for a year, get some help/develop some talent, and see how he fits in with the new defense. 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, Just Want A Title said:

2.  Sign Bennie Logan

I like that signing. I wanted us to sign him last year.

For Ziggy if he would do like a 3 yr 25 mil deal that'd be great

maybe sign a Beau Allen(eagles) and other depth

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, Nnivolcm said:

With Kris Kocurek leaving for Miami, I'd actually like to re-sign Ngata as a player/coach. Give him a 2-3 yr deal and let him guide the young guys on the field. A'Shawn played well next to him, but groom his replacement. 

Archived