Seahawks Fire OC Bevell

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How is Goodwin?

He's alright. Arians loved him and thinks he's a future head coach, I'm not sure I would go that far, he was interviewed a few times though. As our o-line coach he's dealt with a lot of injuries so it's kind of tough to say. He made John Wetzel go from an absolute trash lineman to somewhat serviceable. He developed Humphries really well, although he's gotten hurt as well. Players love him. Miles and miles and miles better than Cable 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

The first two links you are posting are 'when not pressured' which is not 'inside the pocket' 

The last link is an article from after the 2015 season. Is this really the best you can do to show that Wilson is a good pocket passer? icon_lol.gif 

I know I didn't exactly make a case as to why he isnt a good pocket passer other than stating the issue that his height creates in seeing passing lanes, but its been known for a few years that the way you try to beat wilson is to keep him in the pocket. Your rushers cant get too far upfield. Ive seen film reviews where he has guys open but he cant see them because there are lineman in the way. 

TLDR you still havent proven anything

You're making anecdotal observations, and while they're not necessarily wrong, they don't correlate to the conclusion you're drawing, which is wrong. At the very least, the 3rd article proved your assumptions were false, even if it is from 2 years ago. The way to beat any mobile QB is to keep them in the pocket and then collapse when they want to scramble - Wilson is no different, and Bevell's scheme didn't help. The Rams basically perfected that approach against them.

If you need more help looking up Russell Wilson's stats, check out @FieldGulls on twitter. They often have a lot of interesting stats they provide.

2 hours ago, BLick12 said:

So is the argument that Bevell has gotten worse as a player caller? Because he's been Wilson's OC this entire time, correct?

Honestly, I think there's a lot to be said for having a very effective run game as Bevell/Wilson had earlier in Seattle.  I think that likely masked a lot of deficiencies that have been exposed now.

Hmmm, thinking about it, I don't think Bevell's gotten any worse over the years. The one area he's improved in this year was his utilization of Jimmy Graham in the red zone. Still, so many times Bevell would get predictable, call ridiculous screens and absolutely kill drives with stupid play calls.

I think you're absolutely right in your second paragraph there, and I think that extends to most teams as well. An effective running game did a lot to hide a poor offensive line that couldn't pass protect, and helped extend drives, shorten games, etc. etc.. Now that Wilson didn't have a running game at all and the entire offense was going through him, they didn't stand much of a chance and somehow still finished 11th in the league in PPG, which is nothing short of a dang miracle.

Looking forward, I would expect the Seahawks to make a strong commitment to getting back to that running game, developing/improving their OL (which they're already starting to do with the acquisition of Duane Brown, Britt's extension, acquisistion of Joeckel, and when they get George Fant back so he can switch to RT and move Ifedi back inside or benched forever), and improving their defense. It was pretty clear over the past 2 years that the playcalling was lacking and the OL development had severely stunted.

2 hours ago, BLick12 said:

So is the argument that Bevell has gotten worse as a player caller? Because he's been Wilson's OC this entire time, correct?

Honestly, I think there's a lot to be said for having a very effective run game as Bevell/Wilson had earlier in Seattle.  I think that likely masked a lot of deficiencies that have been exposed now.

The seahawks pretty much had no run game on a team specially built to run the ball and play defense, both of those units failed this year so i don't think exposed is the right word choice in this situation. The Seahawks are not built to be a passing team at present.

17 hours ago, RandomCampBody said:

The seahawks pretty much had no run game on a team specially built to run the ball and play defense, both of those units failed this year so i don't think exposed is the right word choice in this situation. The Seahawks are not built to be a passing team at present.

So why is that the OC's fault? Sounds more like a GM's fault that traded an all-pro C for a TE that refuses to block.

21 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

So why is that the OC's fault? Sounds more like a GM's fault that traded an all-pro C for a TE that refuses to block.

At the time, they needed more pass catching weapons and Jimmy Graham was someone who could play inline or split out wide.

What happened after that is completely on the OC in how they used him (as an inline blocker without any redzone targets). It wasn't until this year they figured out they could split him out wide and throw jump balls to him. This was year 3 of him being in the system.

Archived