Seahawks Fire OC Bevell

goldfishwars

6 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

At the time, they needed more pass catching weapons and Jimmy Graham was someone who could play inline or split out wide.

What happened after that is completely on the OC in how they used him (as an inline blocker without any redzone targets). It wasn't until this year they figured out they could split him out wide and throw jump balls to him. This was year 3 of him being in the system.

Considering Graham was more productive his first and second year than this year, I don't know that I buy that.

tom cable tried his absolute hardest to make sure darren mcfadden would be a bust. it took hue jackson coming in and revamping the offense and blocking scheme to turn him into a good nfl player

he just has this vision of how an OL should work that quite frankly never works. its really odd. the one good thing cable did was make robert gallery not a complete waste of a career

11 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Considering Graham was more productive his first and second year than this year, I don't know that I buy that.

More productive in terms of overall receiving yards, catches, etc. sure but still in those years he was largely underwhelming and his redzone production/usage was highly questionable.

This was the first year they actually utilized him in the red zone, and it worked like a charm. Bottom line, the acquisition for Graham wasn't bad at face value, but knowing how Bevell wanted to run his system (run first) and didn't like to split TE's out wide and maximize their skillset, it was a terrible acquisition and his usage/production since has confirmed that.

16 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Chip doesn't strike me as the sort of individual who would want to be a coordinator over being a head coach somewhere else.

Probably not, and I imagine him and Pete Carroll's ego would be quite a collision. 

10 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

More productive in terms of overall receiving yards, catches, etc. sure but still in those years he was largely underwhelming and his redzone production/usage was highly questionable.

This was the first year they actually utilized him in the red zone, and it worked like a charm. Bottom line, the acquisition for Graham wasn't bad at face value, but knowing how Bevell wanted to run his system (run first) and didn't like to split TE's out wide and maximize their skillset, it was a terrible acquisition and his usage/production since has confirmed that.

Ok - well now you're arguing something else.  He was used and used more frequently overall, that is the point .  It gives further credence to the fact that that was a poor trade. Your guys o-line has been garbage since and you want guys that fit within your system especially if you're already having success with that system.  It seems like your GM traded for the shiny toy that was on the market, without considering how it would impact things overall.

11 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Ok - well now you're arguing something else.  He was used and used more frequently overall, that is the point .  It gives further credence to the fact that that was a poor trade. Your guys o-line has been garbage since and you want guys that fit within your system especially if you're already having success with that system.  It seems like your GM traded for the shiny toy that was on the market, without considering how it would impact things overall.

Yes, it was a bad trade because Graham wasn't a scheme fit and Bevell didn't change anything (until year 3) to maximize Graham's skillset. Definitely agreed there. The trade, at it's face value, was good because Wilson does throw lots of jump balls and the Hawks needed a receiving target and better red zone targets. If Bevell would've been able to adjust his scheme to accomodate Graham, it would've worked out much better. However, it was unlikely that was going to happen, and ultimately the trade panned out pretty much how everyone expected it to.

Archived