What Happens With Ty Montgomery?

smetana34

Title says it all. What is his future Outlook? With how great both Jones and Williams looked, he's the odd man out. Montgomery did some nice things out of the backfield, but those two looked much more like naturals back there (as they should compared to a WR convert.)

With the state of our WR corps in a bit of flux, I feel like he's getting lost in the shuffle. We can't go into the season paying three WRs 30 million combined. Montgomery and Cobb are the same mold of player; does he alone make Cobb expendable? 

The guy just can't stay healthy ... can't count on him.  He literally can't go more than a few games without getting injured.  I think you just have to look at him as a jack of all trades at rb/wr.  If they cut Cobb loose I think he'd be a slot option, but you better have someone else as well ready to go because he'll be injured at some point. 

1 minute ago, Hands said:

Monty hasn't shown that he can stay healthy. That being said, he was much better as a RB than a WR. I think his natural position is RB. I hope he stays there and stays healthy.

Agreed. I like the idea him supplanting Cobb in the slot(especially because he was more effective there than Cobb was), but he is better served at RB given his vision.

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If I'm coach, he becomes a James White for us. Few carries but lines up in the slot and in the back field. He's still a mismatch if used right. 

This.  He's a useful player.  Find creative ways to use him as sort of a RB/WR hybrid.

If he could stay healthy he's probably a better RB than Williams but he likely won't ever be healthy enough to be counted on like that.  He's still on a rookie deal so I'd just keep him at RB and give him some snaps behind Jones next year to see if he holds up for once.

Don't know if we had a choice, but we haven't used him right so far. Rumor has it he's tight as a drum so gotta wonder if he is a smaller version of Mike Neal. Wonder if MM has ever heard of the wheel route. Have we ever even seen him catch a screen pass ? All that being said, he's in the last year of his deal and you just drafted 3 guys. Ty might be dead man walking

3 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

There’s so many options with him. A good offensive coach would love having a guy like Ty (aside from injuries) let him have some carries, run some routes outta the backfield and lineup as a WR. Matchup nightmare.

Totally agreed. I see him as another Percy Harvin type and hey, Percey Harvin was injury prone too. We definitely should get him more involved in the return game as well. That was one of the primary reasons we drafted him in the first place. He was a special returner in college. We can have return some punts and kicks for us, give him a few carries a game and line him up in several WR spots.

If Mac can't find a way to utilize him with a full off-season of thought and preparation, that's a complete and utter failure on his part. That's coming from one of his biggest supporters. His "one RB per drive" stance is outdated and stupid. I understand that not subbing doesn't all the defense to sub, but let's face it Aaron takes the playclock down to 1-4 seconds before snapping. We have PLENTY of time to sub, and when Rodgers wants to catch a guy coming off he can motion to the sideline not to sub.

Archived