What Happens With Ty Montgomery?

smetana34

I think we're likely going to see some changes at WR this offseason with Adams big raise.  That could mean that Cobb is let go as he never came close to earning that monster deal that he signed.  If that's the case, I think Monty fits into that role nicely.  He's probably not the receiver that Cobb is but he's a significant improvement when handed the ball out of the backfield. 

39 minutes ago, SSG said:

I think we're likely going to see some changes at WR this offseason with Adams big raise.  That could mean that Cobb is let go as he never came close to earning that monster deal that he signed.  If that's the case, I think Monty fits into that role nicely.  He's probably not the receiver that Cobb is but he's a significant improvement when handed the ball out of the backfield. 

Yep, this team wouldn't miss a beat without Cobb.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:35 AM, smetana34 said:

Title says it all. What is his future Outlook? With how great both Jones and Williams looked, he's the odd man out. Montgomery did some nice things out of the backfield, but those two looked much more like naturals back there (as they should compared to a WR convert.)

With the state of our WR corps in a bit of flux, I feel like he's getting lost in the shuffle. We can't go into the season paying three WRs 30 million combined. Montgomery and Cobb are the same mold of player; does he alone make Cobb expendable? 

Montgomery's future is completely dependent upon what we do with Cobb and Nelson. I think he could play the slot and excel at it. I think he could overpower CB's in the slot and be effective. I don't see him going back to running back for us. Although with injuries you never say never. 

On 1/10/2018 at 8:35 AM, smetana34 said:

What is his future Outlook?

He hasn't really taken to either position very well.  He's not durable enough to play as an everydown RB, and given the success of Jamal Williams and Aaron Jones he probably isn't going to crack the RB rotation anytime soon.  And he wasn't real great at WR.  His best scenario is he becomes a utility player.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He hasn't really taken to either position very well.  He's not durable enough to play as an everydown RB, and given the success of Jamal Williams and Aaron Jones he probably isn't going to crack the RB rotation anytime soon.  And he wasn't real great at WR.  His best scenario is he becomes a utility player.

KR/PR/RB/Slot WR. That surely helps when filling out a roster. His availability might go up if he's playing fewer RB snaps

20 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I agree as long as Cobb is replaced with something. Otherwise on paper he is Rodgers #2 or #3 option behind Davante and maybe jordy. 

I  think we could see an outside receiver added.  A combination of Monty and Jordy would more than replace Cobb IMO.  Monty would be an upgrade out of the backfield and could have an impact in the slot.  We've seen  great deal of success with Jordy in the slot.  With his age getting up there and his speed deteriorating I   think we're going to see him in the slot a lot more.  IMO, our offense was at its best in late 2016 when Jordy was playing a lot more snaps in the slot.  

• 9 months later...
On 1/10/2018 at 5:05 PM, Packerraymond said:

If Mac can't find a way to utilize him with a full off-season of thought and preparation, that's a complete and utter failure on his part. That's coming from one of his biggest supporters. His "one RB per drive" stance is outdated and stupid. I understand that not subbing doesn't all the defense to sub, but let's face it Aaron takes the playclock down to 1-4 seconds before snapping. We have PLENTY of time to sub, and when Rodgers wants to catch a guy coming off he can motion to the sideline not to sub.

JFC Ray you really nailed this situation back in January.

Failure to properly utilize Monty as a RB, check.

One RB per drive approach outdated, check.

Running down the clock maddeningly, check.

8 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

JFC Ray you really nailed this situation back in January.

Failure to properly utilize Monty as a RB, check.

One RB per drive approach outdated, check.

Running down the clock maddeningly, check.

How is one RB per drive outdated?

We've got another thread going on right now where people want to run the 2 minute offense constantly.

Which is it?

Archived