Wolf to Cleveland

Toddfather

ESPN article

Eliot Wolf will join the Cleveland Browns and serve as one of John Dorsey's top advisers as they try to rebuild a team that went winless last season.

Looks like he will be the no.2 in Cleveland. I was one of the many who thought it wasn't his time yet. That being said I really hoped he would stay in Green Bay until his time came to be the no.1 somewhere. Oh well, I hope he has success with Dorsey. 

Unfortunately for Eliot Wolf, over the years it has got a bit log-jammed at the top of the executive tree. That seems extraordinary given the exodus of Schneider, McKenzie, Dorsey, the loss of Highsmith and the move upstairs for TT.  I wish Wolf well, in Cleveland (I always thought he would go if not made GM).

Now the front office depth looks thinner than it has been for years. With Wolf gone and Gute in at GM, there doesn't seem much behind them. That is good news for guys like John Wojciechowski and Jon Eric Sullivan who have more space above them to get promoted into, and  for for a college scout/coordinator to step up, as well. I think the Packers are fine as they are, but you wouldn't want to see any more big losses - this executive tree has been pruned back hard enough as it is.

32 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

ESPN article

Looks like he will be the no.2 in Cleveland. I was one of the many who thought it wasn't his time yet. That being said I really hoped he would stay in Green Bay until his time came to be the no.1 somewhere. Oh well, I hope he has success with Dorsey. 

No. 2 in Cleveland.  That pretty much sums up how I think/feel about that job and city.

37 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Peace Eliot. Hope it works out for all 3 former Packer front office guys over in Cleveland. They have a ton of draft assets to work with. 

I suspect the idea of Dorsey, Highsmith and Wolf trying to resurrect that franchise from the dead might hold some appeal to these gentlemen.

Cleveland has loads of draft picks and the decision makers just so happens to be ex Packers front office guys. Highsmith and Wolf has scouted the current pool of incoming draft prospects and they already know who we like and don't like.

You can absolutely bet on them making our draft extremely difficult for us this year.

Its almost certain they will be drafting the players we like especially towards the later rounds.

Make no mistake, Wolf and Hightower will be motivated to "beat" us.

54 minutes ago, Chili said:

Cleveland has loads of draft picks and the decision makers just so happens to be ex Packers front office guys. Highsmith and Wolf has scouted the current pool of incoming draft prospects and they already know who we like and don't like.

You can absolutely bet on them making our draft extremely difficult for us this year.

Its almost certain they will be drafting the players we like especially towards the later rounds.

Make no mistake, Wolf and Hightower will be motivated to "beat" us.

Sorry, but that sound extremely weird. A) They don't draft in the area the Packers draft, thus, they will not steal anyone which they consider BPA in early rounds and B) They signed with the Browns to build their roster, depending on their needs and fits for their scheme, not to hurt the Packers "stealing" their favorite players. Otherwise they'd have the completely wrong job and should be kicked out of town in Cleveland immediately.

51 minutes ago, Gravedigger93 said:

Sorry, but that sound extremely weird. A) They don't draft in the area the Packers draft, thus, they will not steal anyone which they consider BPA in early rounds and B) They signed with the Browns to build their roster, depending on their needs and fits for their scheme, not to hurt the Packers "stealing" their favorite players. Otherwise they'd have the completely wrong job and should be kicked out of town in Cleveland immediately.

Indeed. I also think its pretty early in the draft season and the teams are still collecting info and writing reports more than honing in on who they want. This is new for Packer fans, but every year the GM and front offices around the league are shuffled in January. If it happened in March, different story.

Edited to add that Eliot was on the pro personnel side, more limited on the college draft

Archived