Wolf to Cleveland

Toddfather

Once it was announced that TT was stepping aside, it never seemed likely that both Gute and Wolf would be staying in GB.  Best case scenario appeared to be one of those two staying, along with Ball to manage the financial side.  All things considered, I am fine with how things played out.

What perplexes me a bit, is if Elliot believes in himself, and believes he deserves to be a GM, then why take a lateral move?  If I’m an owner considering him as a potential GM candidate, this ‘might’ raise a bit of a flag.  We know his father Ron appears to be unhappy about Elliot getting overlooked, and I’d assume that Elliot still takes advice from his father.  Not sure what either’s motivation is here, and I don’t want to say “spite” given both their history with the org. 

One thought I had was possibly Elliot is more confident in Dorsey’s abilities to lead the Browns out of the basement and into relevance, given Dorsey’s experience as a GM, and a roster that has a lot of raw, young talent.  If Elliot’s hedging his bets on this, maybe he thinks his stock might rise a lot faster in Cleveland than in GB?

42 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

What perplexes me a bit, is if Elliot believes in himself, and believes he deserves to be a GM, then why take a lateral move?  If I’m an owner considering him as a potential GM candidate, this ‘might’ raise a bit of a flag.  We know his father Ron appears to be unhappy about Elliot getting overlooked, and I’d assume that Elliot still takes advice from his father.  Not sure what either’s motivation is here, and I don’t want to say “spite” given both their history with the org. 

One thought I had was possibly Elliot is more confident in Dorsey’s abilities to lead the Browns out of the basement and into relevance, given Dorsey’s experience as a GM, and a roster that has a lot of raw, young talent.  If Elliot’s hedging his bets on this, maybe he thinks his stock might rise a lot faster in Cleveland than in GB?

Think you just answered your own question.  Cleveland is going to be on the rise and this should benefit Elliot.  Makes sense to me.  

36 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Think you just answered your own question.  Cleveland is going to be on the rise and this should benefit Elliot.  Makes sense to me.  

Exactly... He can be a no.2 on a team with HOF Aaron rodgers or he can go to another front office that seems stable now, and be the No.2 to bring success to a franchise that has been in the dumps for a long time. I respect the fresh start, and the drive to turn a franchise around. I just hope there is no bad blood. 

9 hours ago, SSG said:

Not at all surprised by this.  We kept him from interviewing for jobs and then passed him up when our GM job was available.  Time will tell if we made the right decision. 

I thought of that myself. What jobs didn't we allow him to interview for? I remember the Detroit one. What was our right on that one? Were we still in the playoffs? Because if we weren't and it was for the GM job, shouldn't he have been allowed to interview?

8 hours ago, Haha21 said:

Watch Cleveland turn this all around in a couple years and you will be able to thank the Packers for that. 

And the 800 draft picks and low salary cap. And 2 of the first 4 picks in this draft and 5 of the top 64 doesn't hurt either. 

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Don't blame him for leaving.  But losing him will hurt, just like losing Schneider, McKenzie, Dorsey, etc. before them hurt.

Have to feel this is a bit of an emotional decision by him.  And I don't blame him, but I almost have to wonder if he wouldn't have been better off staying for another year and then going for a GM gig next year.

I don't blame him for leaving either. I'm sure he is hurt. I assume, like I did just a year or two ago that he'd be the guy taking over for Thompson. Now his butt is hurt a little. I think John Dorsey is a top executive in this league, or soon to be and am still shocked he got let go in Kansas City. Anybody know more of why he got let go? Anyways, career wise going to Cleveland was the best thing for Wolf. He get's to learn a few more things from a new viewpoint before he leaves for a GM position, which I assume will be in a year or two. He get's to work on the worst team in football and build it up thru free agency and a ton of good draft picks. Whichever gut got the job here, the other guy was going to leave soon after anyways, it was inevitable. It would have been nice to keep him one more season, but this was the best thing for him and I wish him well. 

3 hours ago, Toddfather said:

Exactly... He can be a no.2 on a team with HOF Aaron rodgers or he can go to another front office that seems stable now, and be the No.2 to bring success to a franchise that has been in the dumps for a long time. I respect the fresh start, and the drive to turn a franchise around. I just hope there is no bad blood. 

I would be surprised if there isn't bad blood.

The Packers have repeatedly blocked him from GM interviews in which he was the favorite, and then snubbed him from the same when it was open for the Packers. Why wouldn't he be furious? Anyone with an ounce of dignity would leave. 

Good luck to him. I totally understand why he left. Hope Dorsey, Highsmith, and Wolf all turn the Cleveland Browns around. It would only add more prestige to the Wolf/Packers tree

If we hire Scot McCloughan then you can pretty much guarantee we're gonna kill drafts 

2 hours ago, th87 said:

Why wouldn't he be furious?

Probably because he got every job he ever got based on the work his dad did nearly 30 years ago, which means he got his first job by the time he was 5. 

Elliot Wolf is 35 years old.  13 years ago, he was named pro personnel assistant.  How many 22-year-old men get hired as pro personnel assistants for professional sports teams right out of college? 

The Packers blocked him from interviewing with the Lions.  The Lions are a... Division Rival.

You think any team wants a division rival to have a general manager that worked for them for 10 years?  You don't see the conflict of interest there?  People can't even work at Lowes and Home Depot at the same time, and you think a pro sports franchise should allow that?

Don't know what second team we kept him from interviewing like everybody says.  He interviewed with the 49ers.  We didn't block that.  He didn't get the job.

Everybody is so in love with Ron Wolf that they're defending his son.  Personally, it's a little bit laughable.  Tom Telesco was the youngest GM in the NFL at 41.  Wolf is 35, and yet we screwed him somehow. 

If he was as capable of being a GM as people think, he would have been hired by another team.  He wasn't.  He's a whiner. 

And before people come in and say, "Oh, but he was responsible for us signing ____, _______, ________, or drafting _______, _________, _______, just remember you only heard about the good ones.  For all you know, he was pounding the table for Thompson to sign Jeff Saturday.  For all you know, he was pounding the table for us to sign literally every free agent available. 

Wolf is unrealistic and I have zero sympathy for him.  He wasn't hired.  Tough titties, get over it. 

19 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Probably because he got every job he ever got based on the work his dad did nearly 30 years ago, which means he got his first job by the time he was 5. 

Elliot Wolf is 35 years old.  13 years ago, he was named pro personnel assistant.  How many 22-year-old men get hired as pro personnel assistants for professional sports teams right out of college? 

The Packers blocked him from interviewing with the Lions.  The Lions are a... Division Rival.

You think any team wants a division rival to have a general manager that worked for them for 10 years?  You don't see the conflict of interest there?  People can't even work at Lowes and Home Depot at the same time, and you think a pro sports franchise should allow that?

Don't know what second team we kept him from interviewing like everybody says.  He interviewed with the 49ers.  We didn't block that.  He didn't get the job.

Everybody is so in love with Ron Wolf that they're defending his son.  Personally, it's a little bit laughable.  Tom Telesco was the youngest GM in the NFL at 41.  Wolf is 35, and yet we screwed him somehow. 

If he was as capable of being a GM as people think, he would have been hired by another team.  He wasn't.  He's a whiner. 

And before people come in and say, "Oh, but he was responsible for us signing ____, _______, ________, or drafting _______, _________, _______, just remember you only heard about the good ones.  For all you know, he was pounding the table for Thompson to sign Jeff Saturday.  For all you know, he was pounding the table for us to sign literally every free agent available. 

Wolf is unrealistic and I have zero sympathy for him.  He wasn't hired.  Tough titties, get over it. 

I think Ron Wolf was incredibly overrated, and don't care either way about his son.

But the idea he shouldn't be furious about the Packers' handling of him is blindingly stupid. He was blocked from the Eagles GM job too. And then was not offered the Packers one when it opened up. So basically, "I don't want you, but no one else can have you either."

His age or nepotism is irrelevant. He was jerked around, rightfully took exception to it, and bounced because he has dignity and self-respect.

Your assumptions are funny though.

On 1/11/2018 at 5:51 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

On 1/11/2018 at 5:51 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

I agree with these two points. I think he got to where he was largely on the reputation of his father. I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, but that was a fast rise for anyone.

The comments Ron Wolf made after his son didn't get the GM position irk me. I get he is protective of his son, but have some tact and be a professional.  Just because he didn't get the position didn't mean the Packers thought less of him, more likely they thought more of Gute. 

I appreciate what Ron Wolf did for GB. But let's stop acting like he is God's gift to the world. Best of luck to him and his son. Maybe someday they will return to the GB family.  But I think some time away is good for everyone. 

6 hours ago, BluePacker said:

I agree with these two points. I think he got to where he was largely on the reputation of his father. I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, but that was a fast rise for anyone.

The comments Ron Wolf made after his son didn't get the GM position irk me. I get he is protective of his son, but have some tact and be a professional.  Just because he didn't get the position didn't mean the Packers thought less of him, more likely they thought more of Gute. 

I appreciate what Ron Wolf did for GB. But let's stop acting like he is God's gift to the world. Best of luck to him and his son. Maybe someday they will return to the GB family.  But I think some time away is good for everyone. 

Despite his fortunate situation (deserved or not), in the end, they still jerked him around pretty hard by essentially blocking him from becoming a GM. 

While the Packers made him who he is faster than anyone else, they still actively hindered his career advancement in the end. Anyone would be unhappy about that. 

Archived