Wolf to Cleveland

Toddfather

37 minutes ago, th87 said:

Despite his fortunate situation (deserved or not), in the end, they still jerked him around pretty hard by essentially blocking him from becoming a GM. 

They blocked him from the Detroit position, offered him a raise so he wouldn't interview with the Eagles, allowed him to interview with the 49ers and were going to allow him to interview with the Colts (or he did, I can't remember). Not exactly slamming the doors on a 35 year old. 

37 minutes ago, th87 said:

While the Packers made him who he is faster than anyone else, they still actively hindered his career advancement in the end. Anyone would be unhappy about that. 

I wouldn't call his fast promotions "hindered". They gave him his opportunities. When it came time for the open GM position someone else was selected over him. I personally think it speaks more to the skills of Gute than the difficencies of Wolf. I understand he would be hurt and might want to leave.  He didn't get the position his father had set him up for.

I don't have a problem with him leaving. I'd probably do the same. I think both he and GB might be better for it right now.  But do I do have a problem with Ron Wolf's comments... he seemed to have a lot of "entitlement" expectations.

11 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

They gave him his opportunities. When it came time for the open GM position someone else was selected over him. I personally think it speaks more to the skills of Gute than the deficiencies of Wolf. But do I do have a problem with Ron Wolf's comments... he seemed to have a lot of "entitlement" expectations.

Agree on the Gute comments, he was just better at this stage.

We don't know the context, tone or nuances of Ron comments. He simply said "the Packers didn't feel he was worthy, end of discussion"

insert the word "ready" instead of "worthy" and its a completely different story. Eliot is very talented, and while some say he advanced only because of his fathers' name - I don't think that's the case at all . He advanced because he started doing this at a very young age and he learned from his father morning, noon and night. You could not ask for a better tutor or mentor and the other guys who learned from Ron have all said the same thing. Eliot advanced not just because of his Dad's name, but because of his Dad's tremendous ability to teach, groom and mentor personnel guys in the NFL.

That's why there are so many of them currently employed all over the League. Ron's a great mentor

And none of them had as much access to Ron Wolf as young Eliot did.

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

We don't know the context, tone or nuances of Ron comments. He simply said "the Packers didn't feel he was worthy, end of discussion"

Did he mean it in a negative way or not - We might never know 100%. But I think we can all agree it wasn't the comment we wanted to hear from him. I think he could have handled it better.. family makes you act crazy sometimes. 

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Eliot advanced not just because of his Dad's name, but because of his Dad's tremendous ability to teach, groom and mentor personnel guys in the NFL.

I agree to a point. I think he has talent and could be a good GM someday, he just isn't quite there yet. But he did get his start due to his dad, and his last name probably contributed partially to some/all of his promotions.

Talent + Pedigree doesn't hurt, and more power to him for having both. But feeling entitled (at least the vibe I get from Ron) to a position isn't right. 

Part of me wonders if Murphy didn't also consider if he hired Eliot he was getting a package deal of Ron as well, at least unofficially. If Eliot became GM and tanked... justy imagine how difficult it would be to remove Eliot and the fall out with the Wolf family. 

Blogger TotalPackers is running with the conspiracy theory that Murphy conspired to manouvere himself into a position of power by ousting TT.

https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/01/packers-nation-got-scammed-packers-leadership/

Whilst the blogger is a bit of an arsehole with his mean spirited articles he does provide food for thought with an interesting perspective but incredibly unlikely scenario. But.....Lets just pretend for one moment that it was true.

First Murphy managed to manipulate TT to step aside. If Murphy was to assume power he would need a GM he could control. Ball was one candidate he considered. The articles about Ball was secretly pushed by Murphy to gauge the reaction of the fanbase and since it was overly negative hiring Ball would be a no-go. Next was Wolf. He would be impossible to control. He is very proud of the Wolf legacy and if he figures out that Murphy was up to no good then Wolf would turn the entire fan base against him. Gute on the other hand was the perfect patsy, a proper scout and by hiring him it also allowed him to push Wolf out of the door. Two birds one stone.

He essentially becomes GM himself, Wolf out of the picture and manuipulated McCarthy to his side simply by giving him more power within the organisation by allowing him a direct line of communication to Murphy. Misson accomplished.

Gute now essentially runs the scouting department. Ball runs the accounting department and McCarthy runs the players department with all of them directly reporting to the de-facto GM Murphy. He now has a lot of power, as if he's the owner but does it stop there?

Again...lets pretend all that was true. What is his next step? What is his ultimate goal? ownership of the team? How will he go about that? how does he convince the board of directors to sign over their ownership to him? maybe he doesn't so he secretly has a deal in place with the NFL cabal to somehow legally force the Packers stockholders to give up their rights to a sole legal entity...the NFL and Murphy's reward for his efforts would be to become the sole owner of the Green Bay Packers. Farfetched? probably.

The cabal isn't going to just trust Murphy with this plan. He would have to prove to them he can make the Packers extremely profitable. He managed that by increased profits to record levels. He’s upgraded Lambeau Field and boosted seating capacity to the third-most in the NFL. He’s expanded the Green Bay Packers’ real estate footprint and revenue streams to include the sparkling new Titletown district. And as far as I can tell he did it without spending any money by using the proceeds from the stock sale. That would've made the cabal very happy and gave him their blessing to move on to the next stage of the plan starting with by ousting TT.

Everything he said in the media, he has done the opposite. Murphy hires Korn Ferry to lead the GM search but its just window dressing meant to satisfy the fans and make the hiring process look legitimate. It was done very quickly before anyone realises what happened.

A multi billion dollar cabal with one team left up for grabs. Money and power is a huge motivator. One day someone is going to want to find a way to get their hands on it. Maybe that someone could be Murphy and he has the legal background and smarts to pull this off. Maybe his Aww-shucks personality is just an act to get us to trust him. A wolf in sheep clothing.

Now i'm paranoid and its time for me to sleep...somehow. :o

I don't get pretty much any of his arguments.

There has to be someone in charge...it was Murphy, it still is. Rather than being in charge of the guy in charge of the other guys he's just directly in charge of the other guys now.

I don't see how this is a power move whatsoever...

55 minutes ago, Chili said:

Blogger TotalPackers is running with the conspiracy theory that Murphy conspired to manouvere himself into a position of power by ousting TT.

https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/01/packers-nation-got-scammed-packers-leadership/

Whilst the blogger is a bit of an arsehole with his mean spirited articles he does provide food for thought with an interesting perspective but incredibly unlikely scenario. But.....Lets just pretend for one moment that it was true.

First Murphy managed to manipulate TT to step aside. If Murphy was to assume power he would need a GM he could control. Ball was one candidate he considered. The articles about Ball was secretly pushed by Murphy to gauge the reaction of the fanbase and since it was overly negative hiring Ball would be a no-go. Next was Wolf. He would be impossible to control. He is very proud of the Wolf legacy and if he figures out that Murphy was up to no good then Wolf would turn the entire fan base against him. Gute on the other hand was the perfect patsy, a proper scout and by hiring him it also allowed him to push Wolf out of the door. Two birds one stone.

That sounds like someone that is inherently negative, and decided they wanted Wolf and wouldn't be satisfied unless he got what he wanted.  For me to assume that this is correct, Mark Murphy has a sinister plot to take over the Green Bay Packers, and only young Elliot Wolf is immune to his power.  Ball was his puppet.  Gute was his puppet.  So in order to get rid of the chosen one, the pure of heart, he had to manipulate events to purge this pure actor.  Even though the favorite son was easily the best, Murphy, who benefits from the success of the organization that he is President and CEO of, decides to get rid of the best because he couldn't control him? Give me a damn break.

I give Murph credit.

He admitted on the radio today that Aaron's injury exposed deeper weaknesses in the organization that he ever imagined existed, and he took bold action in response thereto.

“That’s a great question,” Murphy said in a radio interview Friday when asked if the same overhaul would have occurred had the Packers been in the playoffs this weekend. “And I hate to speculate, but um, yeah um, you know, I’ll give you, maybe not as many (changes) as we made. And that’s where — you hate to say it — but sometimes things happen for a reason, and sometimes you can have blessings in disguise. And I think this did really focus all of us, force us to really focus on what do we need to do to ensure that we can continue to compete for Super Bowls.”

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/12/murphy-rodgers-injury-may-have-helped-spur-packers-housecleaning/1029833001/

I wish Murph had recognized the "communication" problems between the various "silos" at 1265 earlier, but better late than never. 

As for Gut, no reason to believe he was not a good selection at this point.

Finally, I can understand Wolf's desire to move on but frankly don't care at this point as he is no longer part of the organization.

7 hours ago, th87 said:

Despite his fortunate situation (deserved or not), in the end, they still jerked him around pretty hard by essentially blocking him from becoming a GM. 

While the Packers made him who he is faster than anyone else, they still actively hindered his career advancement in the end. Anyone would be unhappy about that. 

Because they blocked him from going to a divisional rival?  I hate to burst your bubble, but that's a common practice in most professions where you're talking about a significant job.  It's called a non-compete.  There's a reason why the Packers let him interview last year, they just weren't going to lose him to a divisional rival.  Same reason the Vikings wouldn't let us interview Paton.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because they blocked him from going to a divisional rival?  I hate to burst your bubble, but that's a common practice in most professions where you're talking about a significant job.  It's called a non-compete.  There's a reason why the Packers let him interview last year, they just weren't going to lose him to a divisional rival.  Same reason the Vikings wouldn't let us interview Paton.

Blocked from the Eagles job too, per Nagler.

9 hours ago, BluePacker said:

They blocked him from the Detroit position, offered him a raise so he wouldn't interview with the Eagles, allowed him to interview with the 49ers and were going to allow him to interview with the Colts (or he did, I can't remember). Not exactly slamming the doors on a 35 year old. 

I wouldn't call his fast promotions "hindered". They gave him his opportunities. When it came time for the open GM position someone else was selected over him. I personally think it speaks more to the skills of Gute than the difficencies of Wolf. I understand he would be hurt and might want to leave.  He didn't get the position his father had set him up for.

I don't have a problem with him leaving. I'd probably do the same. I think both he and GB might be better for it right now.  But do I do have a problem with Ron Wolf's comments... he seemed to have a lot of "entitlement" expectations.

All fair statements. 

People putting a lot of energy into the Wolf thing. It's a complete wash if you ask me. Sure we put some limitations on his movement to protect the franchise and keep as many options open as possible as well as keeping as much talent on staff for as long as possible. Shame on the Packers for such things !!!

Wolf also got as good an education or on the job training that one could ever ask for, set him up for the rest of his life by age 35, and he probably made more bank than any of us could imagine. Poor Eliot. He'll make 10-30 million by the time he retires all due to the training he received here. 

It's a wash

Archived