Raiders hire Paul Guenther (DC), Greg Olsen (OC) and Rich Bisaccia (ST)

RaidersAreOne

Not a fan of Olsen, but Gruden is an offensive-minded guy so I'm not worried.

I know very little about Guenther though, what kind of schemes and shifts does he favor? How aggressive is he? I was a supporter of Pagano, because he created good pressure for us. I don't recall how he was in SD, but I was rooting for him.

Anything is better than Del Rio for me, I have always loathed his defensive philosophy. I'd just prefer a DC that is really good at pressure since that can mask how ****ty a defense really is (and ours is complete dog****).

12 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Freeman's good year under Olson was sandwiched between two terrible years under Olson. Blake Bortles similarly had a step forward under Olson, followed by a step back. Marc Bulger also had his best and worst years back-to-back under Olson. Even Joey Harrington seemed to take a step forward when Olson was QB coach initially, then take a step back when he became OC.

If we give him credit for the best years that QBs had under him, we also need to give him some blame when they then regress under him afterwards. For all the talk of him developing QBs, every QB he's coached for more than a single year has gotten worse by the end of his tenure there. Bulger, Freeman, Harrington, and Bortles all had bad years in Olson's last year with them. The exceptions are the guys he only coached for one year (Goff, Garcia.) Getting a career year out of those QBs doesn't help if it isn't sustained. It isn't actual development if they regress like that. Just a lot of one year wonders.

Bulger was just destroyed by bad oline play.. He would get rocked..

And the routes were all timed and would take a second to develop.. 

12 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Freeman's good year under Olson was sandwiched between two terrible years under Olson. Blake Bortles similarly had a step forward under Olson, followed by a step back. Marc Bulger also had his best and worst years back-to-back under Olson. Even Joey Harrington seemed to take a step forward when Olson was QB coach initially, then take a step back when he became OC.

If we give him credit for the best years that QBs had under him, we also need to give him some blame when they then regress under him afterwards. For all the talk of him developing QBs, every QB he's coached for more than a single year has gotten worse by the end of his tenure there. Bulger, Freeman, Harrington, and Bortles all had bad years in Olson's last year with them. The exceptions are the guys he only coached for one year (Goff, Garcia.) Getting a career year out of those QBs doesn't help if it isn't sustained. It isn't actual development if they regress like that. Just a lot of one year wonders.

Those QBs didn't get better when he was fired. He at least got one good year out of poor players (or in Bulger's case, a declining player). Do you think those guys would have been any good if they hadn't been coached by Olson at some point?

7 hours ago, Tacos said:

Not a fan of Olsen, but Gruden is an offensive-minded guy so I'm not worried.

I know very little about Guenther though, what kind of schemes and shifts does he favor? How aggressive is he? I was a supporter of Pagano, because he created good pressure for us. I don't recall how he was in SD, but I was rooting for him.

Anything is better than Del Rio for me, I have always loathed his defensive philosophy. I'd just prefer a DC that is really good at pressure since that can mask how ****ty a defense really is (and ours is complete dog****).

Read this (the Defense part). Guenther runs the same defense that Mike Zimmer runs in Minnesota:

http://lastwordonprofootball.com/2017/08/06/breakdown-look-cincinnati-bengals-schematic-philosophy/?doing_wp_cron=1510854238.9839470386505126953125

On 1/10/2018 at 3:36 PM, kramxel said:

Rich Bisaccia is a great ST coach, probably one of the best.

He was great for us, turning one of the worst STs ever into something productive, and only left when they decided to clean house and fire (almost) everyone.

I actually wanted him as our head coach at one point. I’m not sure if that was pre Norv or Pre McCoy timeline wise but seeing what he did with our special teams and how the players got fired up for him I thought he’d  Have success at the next level. Very under rated coach. Easily the best of the Oakland hires as he isn’t a roll of the dice. You already know you’re getting a top notch coach.

On 1/11/2018 at 11:32 AM, oakdb36 said:

Those QBs didn't get better when he was fired. He at least got one good year out of poor players (or in Bulger's case, a declining player). Do you think those guys would have been any good if they hadn't been coached by Olson at some point?

Just saw this, so late reply.

No, it isn't necessarily that I think they would've been good QBs if coached by someone else. I haven't paid attention to most of those players as prospects enough to have an educated opinion there. It's more that I think it's just silly to credit someone for the good and ignore the bad. For instance, I'm fine with praising him for Freeman's 2010, as long as we also criticize him for Freeman's 2009 and 2011. On the flip side, if we want to say Freeman was bad in 2009 and 2011 because he was just never going to pan out regardless, then let's say he was good in 2010 because he was an inconsistent QB. Go either way, I don't care, but I don't think you can have it both ways.

On 1/10/2018 at 4:05 PM, riceman80 said:

1. Olson is an OC by job title only. It will be Gruden's offensive system and Gruden will be calling plays. So any complaining that Olson's a terrible playcaller who runs a terrible offense is irrelevant.

2. He's worked for Gruden before and worked with Carr before so it makes total sense from a familiarity/chemistry aspect.

3. Id wager his primary focuses will be working with Carr and helping install Gruden's system. Basically an offensive assistant. Gruden is always his own OC and playcaller.

Guenther cant be worse than KNJ so i expect us to be better. He'll also have a fair amount of talent to work with than last year. Obi, Conley, and Amerson alone bei ng back should help alot. That added to additions in FA and the draft makes me alot more excited about next year's D. Like i said, a DC with experience with even moderate success is a huge upgrade for us.

Dont really know anything about Bisaccia. Any Cowboys fans who can weigh in on him?

Yeah.  I could see the Olson hire working out alright for them for pretty much exactly those reasons.  Seems to me he's being brought back in as more of a "familiar face" with Carr who can attend to that stuff while Gruden does most of the heavy lifting as the HC+real OC.