Raiders hire Paul Guenther (DC), Greg Olsen (OC) and Rich Bisaccia (ST)

RaidersAreOne

28 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

he helped Bortles get to one season of productive play and then proceeded to completely destroy his mechanics. I don't think his offense is sustainable for any more than a season, which his history as a coordinator would suggest. Pretty sure he directly told Bortles to stop visiting the guy that fixed his mechanics, and, shockingly, Bortles regressed the next year. 

I'm going to say Bortles regressed because Bortles is a terrible QB and didn't care about his mechanics more than Olsen is a bad coach.

1. Olson is an OC by job title only. It will be Gruden's offensive system and Gruden will be calling plays. So any complaining that Olson's a terrible playcaller who runs a terrible offense is irrelevant.

2. He's worked for Gruden before and worked with Carr before so it makes total sense from a familiarity/chemistry aspect.

3. Id wager his primary focuses will be working with Carr and helping install Gruden's system. Basically an offensive assistant. Gruden is always his own OC and playcaller.

Guenther cant be worse than KNJ so i expect us to be better. He'll also have a fair amount of talent to work with than last year. Obi, Conley, and Amerson alone bei ng back should help alot. That added to additions in FA and the draft makes me alot more excited about next year's D. Like i said, a DC with experience with even moderate success is a huge upgrade for us.

Dont really know anything about Bisaccia. Any Cowboys fans who can weigh in on him?

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Since we are returning of the Raiders of old.... can they draft the WR that runs the fastest 40 at the combine?

That's not how Reggie McKenzie works.

His draft board ranks players in order of how injury prone they are and he picks the riskiest one with our 1st rounder.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

will Gruden go with the Tampa2 for D?

This is a question im dying to know the answer to. We dont have the personnel so id think not. Our top 3 corners are best in man or press. Our LBs are built to play downhill. And we dont have the front 4 to get the pressure that the Tampa 2 requires.

Not particularly big on the Olson hire. Been an OC for 10 years in the NFL. Has led a bottom 10 scoring offense in 7 of those years. Has only been top 10 in yards once, top 10 in points twice. I've seen some defense around the idea that he'll be good for Carr, but first, hire him as a QB coach then, and second, the best example we actually have of him grooming a QB is Josh Freeman. Just weird to me to see a guy keep getting OC work with such a poor track record there on paper. Oversaw the fall of the Rams offense when they had Bulger/Jackson/Holt. Took Freeman and the Bucs offense nowhere from a development perspective. Coached flat out bad offenses in short stints since then.

Guenther I think a bit more highly of. Long student of Zimmer and Lewis, and Marvin Lewis understudies have been pretty successful lately. Also feels like Cincy's D somewhat consistently outperforms their talent. Reggie Nelson was way better under him in Cincy too, so that could help revive his play a bit.

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Not particularly big on the Olson hire. Been an OC for 10 years in the NFL. Has led a bottom 10 scoring offense in 7 of those years. Has only been top 10 in yards once, top 10 in points twice. I've seen some defense around the idea that he'll be good for Carr, but first, hire him as a QB coach then, and second, the best example we actually have of him grooming a QB is Josh Freeman. Just weird to me to see a guy keep getting OC work with such a poor track record there on paper. Oversaw the fall of the Rams offense when they had Bulger/Jackson/Holt. Took Freeman and the Bucs offense nowhere from a development perspective. Coached flat out bad offenses in short stints since then.

Guenther I think a bit more highly of. Long student of Zimmer and Lewis, and Marvin Lewis understudies have been pretty successful lately. Also feels like Cincy's D somewhat consistently outperforms their talent. Reggie Nelson was way better under him in Cincy too, so that could help revive his play a bit.

Olson won't be calling the plays. He's a very good QB Coach. He'll be fine as the OC.

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

will Gruden go with the Tampa2 for D?

No. Kiffin was already in TB. Gruden will let Guenther run his scheme.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Just like they had issues working together the first time? Because Carr's never had mechanical problems. Inconsistent footwork? Yes. Mechanical? Never.

Goff didn't have them either and look how Olsen helped develop him. Don't take my word for it, ask @jrry32 .

Olson is very good at what he does. He isn't known for teaching mechanics. He's known for being a great teacher of protections and blitz recognition. Gruden can work with Carr on the little mechanical flaws he sees.

Surprised some people are down on Greg Olson here. He's a fantastic QB whisperer, it seems every QB he's ever worked with has had an up year during the time they were together... took freaking Josh Freeman to the pro bowl, Blake Bortles threw 35 touchdowns under him, Goff played really well this year. Plus he's not the playcaller here, I think both of these hires are decent.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yes, that was one year. He had one good year with Blake here as well. Year two he fell off in a huge way and got fired midseason.

The same thing happened in Tampa when he was OC during Josh Freeman's campaign...    Olsen had one good year and then failed the next not sure why it has happened multiple times but it did which is weird .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Surprised some people are down on Greg Olson here. He's a fantastic QB whisperer, it seems every QB he's ever worked with has had an up year during the time they were together... took freaking Josh Freeman to the pro bowl, Blake Bortles threw 35 touchdowns under him, Goff played really well this year. Plus he's not the playcaller here, I think both of these hires are decent.

Freeman's good year under Olson was sandwiched between two terrible years under Olson. Blake Bortles similarly had a step forward under Olson, followed by a step back. Marc Bulger also had his best and worst years back-to-back under Olson. Even Joey Harrington seemed to take a step forward when Olson was QB coach initially, then take a step back when he became OC.

If we give him credit for the best years that QBs had under him, we also need to give him some blame when they then regress under him afterwards. For all the talk of him developing QBs, every QB he's coached for more than a single year has gotten worse by the end of his tenure there. Bulger, Freeman, Harrington, and Bortles all had bad years in Olson's last year with them. The exceptions are the guys he only coached for one year (Goff, Garcia.) Getting a career year out of those QBs doesn't help if it isn't sustained. It isn't actual development if they regress like that. Just a lot of one year wonders.