Jaguars vs. Steelers Divisional Playoff GDT

JLambert58

2 hours ago, DR43 said:

Pick a coach you think is doing a good job.  Now advise how he's a good coach WITHOUT bringing up statistics.

Why? You think it's impossible to do it? I just gave you a quick example of how to do it for a WR, i'm not going to do it for another coach for no reason.

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

Why? You think it's impossible to do it? I just gave you a quick example of how to do it for a WR, i'm not going to do it for another coach for no reason.

Comparing how to talk about a coach and a WR is not the same.

On 2018-01-15 at 5:51 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

I mean, they also got their team 7 points, which was obviously a big difference in the game.    And if you count the INT that led to a TD, thats another 7.     Then the 4th and 1 stops (although our terrible playcalling could be blamed for that as well).   They gave up alot of points and yards, but made enough plays.   Our defense didnt make a single play all game against a far inferior offense to our own.

Either way,  Im too annoyed with the way we played (at least the defense and playcalling) to be bothered about them talking.     

Agree , accept for the last part. I feel like typing about it very much until changes take place xD Butler is a FA, better let him go. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Comparing how to talk about a coach and a WR is not the same.

How are they not? You can see how the WR acts on the field. You can see how the team acts on the field, and how the coach acts in front of media, and how the coach acts in training camp, etc. You can mention things other people say about the coach.

This profession does not boil down to just statistics. Marvin Lewis has a 0.527 win rating with 125 regular season wins 14th all time. Jeff Fisher has a 0.542 regular season record with 142 wins, 11th all time. They are not good coaches though.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:25 AM, TXsteeler said:

Impossible?  Probably not.  

It's obvious that you want to try to limit me when I would give the most obvious reason in keeping Tomlin.

4 hours ago, DR43 said:

Impossible?  Probably not.  

It's obvious that you want to try to limit me when I would give the most obvious reason in keeping Tomlin.

I'm not trying to limit you at all dude, it's just a damn thought exercise. I'm saying, let's come at it from the perspective where Mike Tomlin is not the person responsible for his coaching records and achievements, he has had a good GM and a HOF QB his entire time, plus he started with very good defense, the 2008 one of which he won a SB under being one of the best ever. How do you prove me wrong?

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

I'm not trying to limit you at all dude, it's just a damn thought exercise. I'm saying, let's come at it from the perspective where Mike Tomlin is not the person responsible for his coaching records and achievements, he has had a good GM and a HOF QB his entire time, plus he started with very good defense, the 2008 one of which he won a SB under being one of the best ever. How do you prove me wrong?

Here's the issue to me of wanting us to use anything but statzzzzzz to explain why we should keep Tomlin:

99% of what is non-stat related happens behind the closed doors of the Steelers facility.  We're not privy to what happens there.

Which guys that are drafted by the team are guys Tomlin pushed for and guys that Colbert pushed for?  What FA's are guys Tomlin said we need to target and guys Colbert said we need to target?  Was it Tomlin, Butler, or Lake who pushed for more man coverage?  Who's responsible for more 1 gapping from Heyward?  By all accounts bringing in Manchuck was a Tomlin move, so should we give him credit for that?  We know that Bringing Fichtner down from the booth was Tomlin's move at Ben's request....what else did he do as a go between?

That's all stuff that we don't have answers for that could make this much more in Tomlin's favor or as a Tomlin deterrent.  That's the type of stuff you can talk about without talking about record.  We're not privy to that information.  Tomlin is the master at coach speak. The media knows that and that's why they try to blow up little things.  Most posters don't know that and that's why posters are still falling for it and making a big deal out of it.  Tomlin is also a master of keeping things in house.  We never hear of the team punishing, fining, or anything like that for any player.  He's great with that type of stuff that just won't give away what's happening in the facility.

Given that they aren't firing Tomlin tells me inside those locked doors, what Tomlin does is quite valuable.  

But to me, that's what makes Tomlin an impressive coach despite his flaws.

11 hours ago, warfelg said:

We never hear of the team punishing, fining, or anything like that for any player.

Maybe because he doesn't punish much.

Given that they aren't firing Tomlin tells me inside those locked doors, what Tomlin does is quite valuable.  

No. No it doesn't. This is just a ridiculous circular argument. Tomlin isn't being fired, so he must be a good coach. Well, thanks for the insight.

We know that Bringing Fichtner down from the booth was Tomlin's move at Ben's request....what else did he do as a go between?

I love the subtle shift here. We're crediting Mike for caving to his QB's demand to create a buffer between himself and his OC. What a coaching job!

By all accounts bringing in Manchuck was a Tomlin move, so should we give him credit for that?

I'm not aware of what accounts those would be. Nor did it really take a genius to hire Munchack to coach the OL. At best, you can credit Tomlin for not being threatened by the presence of a former HC on his staff. Though, he has more job security than anyone besides Belichick just by virtue of being in the Steelers organization. Now let's go through all the terrible hires he had in that position before hand. So, congrats...after like 5 tries, he got it right.

Was it Tomlin, Butler, or Lake who pushed for more man coverage?

I think it was the media and fans, personally. Even Mikey isn't arrogant or dumb enough to go into NE with the same gameplan after being caught on Brown's Facebook Live bragging how they'd be ready for NE...only to get humiliated by doing the same old thing he's always done against them.

Archived