Don 'Wink' Martindale promoted to DC

diamondbull424

6 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

Well, unless Martindale is significantly better than Dean "Sum of its Parts and Nothing More" Pees, we might as well settle in for at least another year of frustrating defense that we know could be so much better.

Well during his tenure in Denver he certainly didn't elevate that unit, so I'm not really sure what to expect in that regard.

3 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

A total collapse would mean injuries, and then you'd have the "Well he got the most out of his players despite injuries" excuse.

A collapse to me would be winning only 1 or 2 games. Would be hard to see a silver lining in that.

Extremely disappointing, but I didn't really expect anything else. I mean John Harbaugh is the once making decisions here. He needs to have at least one incompetent coordinator at all times. Preferably two. 

I echo what @RavensTillIDie said. It was one year, but what a terrible year it was. And he had full control of the defense with McDaniels the head coach. Hopefully Martindale has learned some things since then, but probably not good things learning under Dean Pees. I don't think coaches ever really change anyways, so... everything recently invested in the defense is a complete waste. That's the real shame here.

7 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I’m done with defense. Get as much cap space as we can cutting guys. Get Jimmy Graham. Get a WR. Draft another WR and a RB in the first 3 rounds. I’m done!

I don't disagree with this either. But it's not going to happen. Because building an offense and relying on it isn't the "Ravens way." 

Guys, this is bad. Really bad. They're just going to keep trying to do the same things, building and playing the same way, and expect different results. We might be looking at a complete organizational overhaul for things to start moving in the right direction. But that's not happening either. So... don't invest too much of your heart in the Ravens. You'll get burned. This team isn't going anywhere for a long time.

5 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

We all said this last year.

No we didn't. Harbs is safe for a long time. Always was the case. And come on, that past season didn't move the needle towards replacement at all. 

Do I like this move? No. Do I really dislike this move with the other options out there? Yes. But, it's still better than having Pees again. I'm not really discouraged by an unsuccessful season 8 years ago; a lot of successful coaches have stuff like that, he might be a good coach still. It's just the fact that he was under Pees at all that bothers me, since I wanted a fresh defense built. But maybe if he can just up the aggressiveness it can be something. He spent a lot of time working with Judon, Za'darius, Bower and Williams and getting the most of out of those guys will be the biggest key to if this defense can take the next step.

Edited by wackywabbit

52 minutes ago, Ras said:

A collapse to me would be winning only 1 or 2 games. Would be hard to see a silver lining in that.

We have too much talent to only win 1 or 2 games. Heck, we won 5 games with in 2015 and that was about as bad as it gets. Hoping for a "total collapse" like a 1 or 2 win season just isn't gonna happen.

58 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I’m done with defense. Get as much cap space as we can cutting guys. Get Jimmy Graham. Get a WR. Draft another WR and a RB in the first 3 rounds. I’m done!

I'd be cool with this, but Jimmy Graham isn't really a fit here seeing as he's only useful split out wide and inside the 5 yard line.

36 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

No we didn't. Harbs is safe for a long time. Always was the case. And come on, that past season didn't move the needle towards replacement at all. 

Do I like this move? No. Do I really dislike this move with the other options out there? Yes. But, it's still better than having Pees again. I'm not really discouraged by an unsuccessful season 8 years ago; a lot of successful coaches have stuff like that, he might be a good coach still. It's just the fact that he was under Pees at all that bothers me, since I wanted a fresh defense built. But maybe if he can just up the aggressiveness it can be something. He spent a lot of time working with Judon, Za'darius, Bower and Williams and getting the most of out of those guys will be the biggest key to if this defense can take the next step.

It's more than just the aggressiveness that needs to be upped. It's the whole pass-rushing/blitzing scheme foundation. It's terribly vanilla and obvious, which leads to easy counters. This scheme just isn't going to work if the goal is to have an actually good defense. Stuff needs rebuilding, which it won't be if Martindale was promoted to keep the status quo. And that's exactly what's happening here. Harbaugh doesn't actually want change, never has. Just more of the same as long as it's "his" way which he masks by calling it the "Ravens" way. It's a bad way.

I just saw two silver linings with this hire of Martindale.

1) Martindale literally can’t do any worse with our defense than he did with his previous stint at Denver. He literally can only do better.

2) In Star Wars, some are fans of the Jedi. Some are fans of the grey Jedi. And some are fans of the Sith. May the reign of the sith continue. Darth Wink. He has slain his master Darth Pees and has now risen to power.

And one last aside. I don’t like this hire. And I wanted change. But since we’re not seeing change and since I’m a fan, I’d rather be happy unless proven otherwise. So I’ll give Darth Wink a chance. I remember when he was brought onto the staff years ago, a guy by the name of Vic Fangio had actually coordinated a Texans defense that went 31st in yards, 32nd in points, and 32nd in takeaways in 2005. But  in 2011, six years later, and after joining up with a Harbaugh, his defense went 4th in yards, 2nd in points, and 1st in takeaways.

So I’ll hold out hope that since his last stint and possibly because of his conversion over to the dark side, he has become stronger. I’m just going to wait and see. No use complaining about an unknown quality... as he has never yet coordinated a Ravens defense.

• Like 2