Don 'Wink' Martindale promoted to DC

diamondbull424

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Here's a question-

Does anyone believe Wink is pulling play out of this Defense above it's talent level?

In some areas I think he is (particularly getting pressure on the QB given who we actually use), but there are also still some obvious holes (still relying on Jefferson in deep coverage, not rotating much etc)

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Here's a question-

Does anyone believe Wink is pulling play out of this Defense above it's talent level?

I don't think anyone on this team is playing above their talent level, I think we're playing right about where we should be, and the guys who aren't good are getting exposed (mainly Tony Jefferson). The only area where we are still lacking is in a consistent pass rush considering the talent we have there.

5 minutes ago, drd23 said:

In some areas I think he is (particularly getting pressure on the QB), but there are also still some obvious holes (still relying on Jefferson in deep coverage etc)

Yea, the Jefferson thing is weird. It's 100% clear he's a liability in deep coverage, but he somehow keeps finding his way back there lol. Wink will commit clear tactical errors like that, and frequently getting mismatched in the middle of the field. And then unleash some pretty clever decisions like using Kenny Young on inside & outside blitzes. Making him an odd evaluation. 

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Well, Wink going into year 2 and he's lauded as one of the best coordinators in the entire NFL. Reading back on this thread is prettttty funny. Guess we shouldn't have fired Harbaugh for promoting him after all ;)

Turns out this John Harbaugh guy might know what he's doing.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2018 at 1:29 PM, sp6488 said:

FWIW, I was optimistic about the hire (promotion) based on the comments Harbaugh made when he announced it (specifically his constant mention of how much he liked Wink's aggressive style, which he directly mentioned as a critique of the team under Pees on numerous occasions).  Apparently not in this thread, though.

7 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Well, Wink going into year 2 and he's lauded as one of the best coordinators in the entire NFL. Reading back on this thread is prettttty funny. Guess we shouldn't have fired Harbaugh for promoting him after all ;)

7 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Turns out this John Harbaugh guy might know what he's doing.

Cautious optimism, not looking so bad right now. 

• Like 1

Vic Fangio was also hired on staff as a defensive consultant and has since went on to guiding some of the best units in the NFL.

Hopefully Martindale follows the Fangio trajectory and continues to do well in this modern NFL. I still think it’s too early to crown his accomplishments however. With this franchise top 10-15 defenses are unimpressive, so if he regresses he’s just proven that he was a flash in the pan. He’ll need a second top 5ish finish for me to be a true believer.