Cousins would seriously consider Browns

Dawgpoun8017

8 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I still don’t see how Washington lets him walk. Unless they really like one of these guys in the draft. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/07/16/with-contract-deadline-looming-kirk-cousins-appears-set-to-play-season-on-franchise-tag-again/?utm_term=.0f45c1cb3f7d

If Washington and Cousins can’t agree to a multiyear deal when negotiations resume in 2018, the Redskins could have to either use the transition tag, which guarantees Cousins a salary of roughly $28 million for 2018, or the franchise tag for a third time, which translates into a salary of roughly $34 million.

But the drawback of the transition tag is other teams could negotiate with Cousins. Washington would have the right to match any deal, but if they get outbid, the Redskins wouldn’t receive any compensation from that opposing team.

And it’s hard to envision Washington being willing to pay Cousins $34 million a year when it was reluctant to pay him more than $16 million following his 2015 success or $20 million following his 2016 production. The only scenario in which the Redskins could benefit from failing to sign Cousins now would be if he takes a step backward on the field in 2017 and is forced to lower his asking price.

I believe Washington has around $65m in cap space for this offseason. I dont know if they want to commit half of it to Cousins. I think the Browns could get him by offering him a deal that they cant match cause of the money the Browns have. Browns could make a big splash in FA and still have more than $65m to play with. I dont think Washington wants to pay him $34m to play under the tag. I think if they tagged him for a 3rd straight year, he will go nuts. He is at the point that he needs that big long term deal. Washington grossly handled him. They could of saved so much money if they just showed him the faith. 

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I believe Washington has around $65m in cap space for this offseason. I dont know if they want to commit half of it to Cousins. I think the Browns could get him by offering him a deal that they cant match cause of the money the Browns have. Browns could make a big splash in FA and still have more than $65m to play with. I dont think Washington wants to pay him $34m to play under the tag. I think if they tagged him for a 3rd straight year, he will go nuts. He is at the point that he needs that big long term deal. Washington grossly handled him. They could of saved so much money if they just showed him the faith. 

I just think when it comes down to it they will resign him. They didn’t need to extend him last year since they tag was manageable. They’ve still got a lot of money and could get more if they cut some guys. You don’t just let a pro bowl caliber QB walk. When was the last time that happened? Peyton?

Man, I would really like to see the Browns sign the two best cover corners in free agency, or sign one and draft Ward. I would love us to develop a top tier defense. Add a great safety, too. 

Here is my concern. We have so many needs, that I am afraid that the first six picks won’t go far enough. 

If you sit back and look at our roster, we are a way off. We may have players, but we need play makers. 

Is it just me, or would anyone else almost rather have Alex Smith over Cousins?  I think Smith might be better. He’s won big games. He’s still playing at a very high level. He would be cheaper. And he knows he is entering the last phase of his career, so in my opinion, he may serve as a better mentor. Although in Cousins’ defense, he is all business when it comes to his job.  I’d acquire Smith, draft your favorite QB at #1, and go from there.

l think Cousins is good, no doubt, but I think Smith would be the better overall choice for us. 

30 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Is it just me, or would anyone else almost rather have Alex Smith over Cousins?  I think Smith might be better. He’s won big games. He’s still playing at a very high level. He would be cheaper. And he knows he is entering the last phase of his career, so in my opinion, he may serve as a better mentor. Although in Cousins’ defense, he is all business when it comes to his job.  I’d acquire Smith, draft your favorite QB at #1, and go from there.

l think Cousins is good, no doubt, but I think Smith would be the better overall choice for us. 

Signing Cousins would be the single stupidest thing that we could do this offseason.

Especially if it included foregoing Darnold at #1.

42 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I just think when it comes down to it they will resign him. They didn’t need to extend him last year since they tag was manageable. They’ve still got a lot of money and could get more if they cut some guys. You don’t just let a pro bowl caliber QB walk. When was the last time that happened? Peyton?

only way they can keep him and make him happy is to offer him a long term contract. Something they dont want to do but run the risk of another team like the Browns coming in and offering him huge money. They could tag him again and pay him $34m but that is a crap load of money for a single season and it would really make him angry. He wants that guaranteed money from a long term contract. If he plays under a tag and gets hurt, ruins any kind of a contract. 

You dont see this situation ever play out because a FO/Franchise doesnt mishandle the contract of their QB like this. If any other team had Cousin playing like he did 2-3 years ago, they would of locked him up long term because in the longterm it would of been overal cheaper to do. Washington was like hoping he would suck or that his cinderalla story would be over and they wouldnt have to pay him franchise QB type money.

Its just weird, all these weird and non-normal situations have happen this past off season and potentially this offseason. Its like the planets are aligning for the Browns. That the Browns could legitimately built an all-pro offense by using one pick on a RB. They could sign the QB and WRs to go along with the TE and OL. Fill a lot of holes with the left over money and draft a bunch of talent in the draft by just going BPA. 

4 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Signing Cousins would be the single stupidest thing that we could do this offseason.

Especially if it included foregoing Darnold at #1.

how could it be the single stupidest thing? Browns go from having the 25-35th rated QBs on their roster to having a top15 QB on the roster. ITs not like the Browns would be putting all of their FA money into it. Browns could sign him and it could only cost them like 22% of their salary cap. Usually a move like that should take up around 50% or higher. I could see if the signing handicapped them or hijacked the rest of the FA from them but it could help them land more players.

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

And completely crap the cap.

How would it crap our cap? We have 100mill to spend and I believe we have to spend some 75% of it. Kirk brings us respectability day 1. He’s 29. But it doesn’t mean we don’t spend a high pick on a QB. He atleast gives us a top 15 QB which if executed correctly can still win a chip 

If signing Cousins means foregoing Darnold at #1, we will continue to suck.

The only difference will be that suck will mean our ceiling is some playoff appearances for a while until we sink back to full suck.

You have to suck to get a franchise QB.

We already have sucked historically.

Now is the time to take the advantage that gives us to get our QBOTF, not to spend assets on a journeyman+.

2 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

How would it crap our cap? We have 100mill to spend and I believe we have to spend some 75% of it. Kirk brings us respectability day 1. He’s 29. But it doesn’t mean we don’t spend a high pick on a QB. He atleast gives us a top 15 QB which if executed correctly can still win a chip 

This is the quote I was responding to: "I could see if the signing handicapped them or hijacked the rest of the FA from them but it could help them land more players."

Archived