Dez Bryant: Keep, Release or Trade?

Super4

Trade or Release Dez Bryant?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Trade or Release Dez Bryant?

• Yes, it's his time to go.
    • No, he's still valueable.
    • Not yet; find his replacement.

Assuming we can get a decent pick(s),   I regrettably think we should trade Dez.   Here's why:

1. Dak is going to be the QB for at least another 2 seasons, and he can't or won't throw the go up and get it deep ball that Dez lives off.

2.  He's 29 with 2 years left.   Are we really gonna re-sign him at 30/31.    

3. He has had nagging injuries the past couple years.   That doesn't get better after 30.   

4.  Dez is not gonna be able to keep cool with season like this.   

It's too bad, because this offense could be killer with the Oline, Zeke, playaction, and Dez.   Better to get something now.  Heck the Pats would probably trade a 2nd for him.

12 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Assuming we can get a decent pick(s),   I regrettably think we should trade Dez.   Here's why:

1. Dak is going to be the QB for at least another 2 seasons, and he can't or won't throw the go up and get it deep ball that Dez lives off.

2.  He's 29 with 2 years left.   Are we really gonna re-sign him at 30/31.    

3. He has had nagging injuries the past couple years.   That doesn't get better after 30.   

4.  Dez is not gonna be able to keep cool with season like this.   

It's too bad, because this offense could be killer with the Oline, Zeke, playaction, and Dez.   Better to get something now.  Heck the Pats would probably trade a 2nd for him.

With Dez or any player for that matter who is getting up there and has had nagging injuries and a corresponding lack of production we have to ask ourselves as you have are we going to resign him when his contract is up?  Look at the Patriots.  Belichick is the master at knowing when to pull the trigger and release someone.  The challenge is what's the cap hit if we trade or release him, and do we have someone who can step up and offer production?  We may need to find his replacement first before we gas him.

Yeah we need someone to replace our leading receiver with before we just cut him or trade him for a 4th+. He may have fallen off but he is still the best we have.

If you're unhappy with your job, you don't quit and then start looking for another. Thats irresponsible.

You start looking for another, find another, THEN you can put in notice at your job.  In that order. 

Why not sign a FA Wr like Sammy Watkins or other AND trade him for, I would say no less than a 3rd round pick. Didn't the pats give up a 1st or get a 1st or possibly a 2nd for Moss???

Either way, get a 3rd or hopefully a 2nd and draft that Kid out of Okl. St, Washington, I believe is his name.

You still have Butler, Witten, Williams, Beasley, Switzer, your FA and draft pick.

Look at Philly, they got all new WRs thru FA. Wonder where they are this weekend?

You guys really think anyone would trade something decent for Dez? Huge contract, nearing 30, lowest production of his career, three years of nagging injuries, two years removed.from his last 1000 yard season...

Youre getting a sixth at best.

And.for that you may as well keep him

This isnt Madden video games guys, there is no overall rating that justify draft pick swaps for aging veterans. You just dont see this in the NFL. Its very uncommon and for an excellent reason. In Madden, Id trade him easily for a.late first, or even swap my 3rd and Dez for a top 5 first rounder. But thats a game, man. Real world, youre getting a sixth if you are lucky...and thats not worth losing him for.

40 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Why not sign a FA Wr like Sammy Watkins or other AND trade him for, I would say no less than a 3rd round pick. Didn't the pats give up a 1st or get a 1st or possibly a 2nd for Moss???

Either way, get a 3rd or hopefully a 2nd and draft that Kid out of Okl. St, Washington, I believe is his name.

You still have Butler, Witten, Williams, Beasley, Switzer, your FA and draft pick.

Look at Philly, they got all new WRs thru FA. Wonder where they are this weekend?

A few things, Rams probably aren't letting Sammy go. Next, Pats gave up a 4th rounder for Moss. Philly didn't really get all new receivers. They added Alshon Jeffrey and Agohlor stepped up big. Torry Smith barely did anything this year for them. 

31 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

A few things, Rams probably aren't letting Sammy go. Next, Pats gave up a 4th rounder for Moss. Philly didn't really get all new receivers. They added Alshon Jeffrey and Agohlor stepped up big. Torry Smith barely did anything this year for them. 

And it isnt like Jeffery was a huge boost -

57 catches 789 yards, 9 scores

Thats Tight End type production.

By comparison:

Zach Ertz 74 for 894 and 8 scores

Dez Bryant 45 for 561 and 6 scores

2016 Cole Beasley 75 for 833 and 6 scores

Todd Pinkstons best year.. 60 for 798 and 7 scores

So to recap:

Alshons "beast year for Philly" that cost them quality #1 receiver money to "bring in all new receivers" was less than 1000 yards, wasnt even top on his team (a TE was), was about the same as Dallas' slot receiver/third option last year, and is about on par or slightly better than a draft bust's best year (Todd Pinkston), and really not that far off (150 yards better only) than Dez Bryant at his worst.

So no..it is not as easy as you guys are making it sound to.replace Dez or.bring in new receivers. Butler cannot run routes and his hands are a question. Beasley is not tough enough for the outside. Williams is a better outside blocker than legitimate receiving threat. And no draft pick is a guaranteed win that will come in and pick up the slack. And I doubt Dez is.done. You guys need to get over this "but he didnt.do well this past year" crap and look at both the context and the whole picture.

56 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

And it isnt like Jeffery was a huge boost -

57 catches 789 yards, 9 scores

Thats Tight End type production.

By comparison:

Zach Ertz 74 for 894 and 8 scores

Dez Bryant 45 for 561 and 6 scores

2016 Cole Beasley 75 for 833 and 6 scores

Todd Pinkstons best year.. 60 for 798 and 7 scores

So to recap:

Alshons "beast year for Philly" that cost them quality #1 receiver money to "bring in all new receivers" was less than 1000 yards, wasnt even top on his team (a TE was), was about the same as Dallas' slot receiver/third option last year, and is about on par or slightly better than a draft bust's best year (Todd Pinkston), and really not that far off (150 yards better only) than Dez Bryant at his worst.

So no..it is not as easy as you guys are making it sound to.replace Dez or.bring in new receivers. Butler cannot run routes and his hands are a question. Beasley is not tough enough for the outside. Williams is a better outside blocker than legitimate receiving threat. And no draft pick is a guaranteed win that will come in and pick up the slack. And I doubt Dez is.done. You guys need to get over this "but he didnt.do well this past year" crap and look at both the context and the whole picture.

Well they sure as heck did something right. If nothing else Jeffrey opened up coverage so Ertz can be singled up. AND, as I heard Adam Schefter (still don't know if that is right) say on sports radio, "Today's NFL is not about having the fantasy football stud equating to championships, its about keeping it simple and NOT making the big mistake." Or something to that  affect.

So we don't need the 10 TD/ 1000 yard WR. All we need is to spread the ball around so everyone has modest to respectable numbers, and convert. Catch the damn ball on 3rd and six or 3rd and 8. Make the 1st down. We don't need the 40 yard pass play in every game.

2 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Well they sure as heck did something right. If nothing else Jeffrey opened up coverage so Ertz can be singled up. AND, as I heard Adam Schefter (still don't know if that is right) say on sports radio, "Today's NFL is not about having the fantasy football stud equating to championships, its about keeping it simple and NOT making the big mistake." Or something to that  affect.

So we don't need the 10 TD/ 1000 yard WR. All we need is to spread the ball around so everyone has modest to respectable numbers, and convert. Catch the damn ball on 3rd and six or 3rd and 8. Make the 1st down. We don't need the 40 yard pass play in every game.

Know what they did right? They simplified the offense for Wentz and let him play like a.sophmore QB, and improved their defense to the point they were able to play even keeled games, not throw 40 times trying to play catch up.

A lot of the production is more a testament to that defense, the run game, and drastic improvements from Wentz. To put it on Alshon as the missing piece solving the puzzle is overshadowing how great the rest of that team has played and how improved Wentz was. Even the OL, was probably the best pass protection unit in the league this year. 

As for spreading the ball around..isnt that was this team does too? The problem was more in the protection breaking down, hence forcing bad throws and mistimed ques. Yes, Dez needs to finish a damn route. Yes, Williams needs to separate. Yes, Beasley needs to cut back harder to break open. Yes, Dak needs.to place some of those balls better. But this is an offense based around spreading the rock to many guys. When the team forces it to Bryant, it is usually to try and get him going because he is the lifeblood of this passing game, an outstanding YAC receiver, and capable of big plays that crack games open or rally the team back from behind. But as we saw when the passing game was working last year, we spread the ball around quite a bit.

I think many people need to stop having so much tunnel vision, staring at small pieces of everything and fixating upon it. We have seen Dez be a monster. We have seen this team spread the ball around a lot and with great success doing so, all less than a full calendar year ago. It was a tough year all around, but that is no cause to start trading off players and trying to copy what some team did instead.

Last year, everyone cried how we need to go thr Giants route and pay all these high priced FAs because it worked for them. Hows that looking now? That defense could not stop the freaking 49ers lol, high priced FAs and all. Now because Philly did it on offense, we should also, because it worked for.them, right? 

Know what we should do? Do what works for us, what has a track record of prolonged success, and.not what a team does here or there for a year of success then falters.

Dez had a disappointing year. Was it all on him? No. The drops and route running need to improve as well as creating better separation. I think it's hard to believe that he is declining so much at only 29. 

Dak needs to go back to spreading the ball around better and not force it to him just because he is Dez.

The coaches have to put him in better position and in other scenarios rather than the back shoulder and 50/50 balls. It worked with Romo but its not working with Dak.

I understand why people want to move on from him and I agree we cannot continue to pay him at his current rate for what he is producing but this is not the year to do it. His cap hit would be too much and if we trade him were not getting more than a 5th.

If we move on from him it should be after next year when the money makes sense and we have either drafted someone or signed someone that can step up.

On 1/19/2018 at 3:52 PM, Dallas94Ware said:

Know what they did right? They simplified the offense for Wentz and let him play like a.sophmore QB, and improved their defense to the point they were able to play even keeled games, not throw 40 times trying to play catch up.

A lot of the production is more a testament to that defense, the run game, and drastic improvements from Wentz. To put it on Alshon as the missing piece solving the puzzle is overshadowing how great the rest of that team has played and how improved Wentz was. Even the OL, was probably the best pass protection unit in the league this year. 

As for spreading the ball around..isnt that was this team does too? The problem was more in the protection breaking down, hence forcing bad throws and mistimed ques. Yes, Dez needs to finish a damn route. Yes, Williams needs to separate. Yes, Beasley needs to cut back harder to break open. Yes, Dak needs.to place some of those balls better. But this is an offense based around spreading the rock to many guys. When the team forces it to Bryant, it is usually to try and get him going because he is the lifeblood of this passing game, an outstanding YAC receiver, and capable of big plays that crack games open or rally the team back from behind. But as we saw when the passing game was working last year, we spread the ball around quite a bit.

I think many people need to stop having so much tunnel vision, staring at small pieces of everything and fixating upon it. We have seen Dez be a monster. We have seen this team spread the ball around a lot and with great success doing so, all less than a full calendar year ago. It was a tough year all around, but that is no cause to start trading off players and trying to copy what some team did instead.

Last year, everyone cried how we need to go thr Giants route and pay all these high priced FAs because it worked for them. Hows that looking now? That defense could not stop the freaking 49ers lol, high priced FAs and all. Now because Philly did it on offense, we should also, because it worked for.them, right? 

Know what we should do? Do what works for us, what has a track record of prolonged success, and.not what a team does here or there for a year of success then falters.

Just for the record, Philly also signed almost an entire new defensive backfield AND Jernigan on the D line, which helped take double teams off of Cox.

So there FA signings, probably about 11 quality when all is said and done, have paid HUGE dividend.

And their go to WR, you know, the guy they traded to Buffalo, was replaced by Jeffrey and Smith.

I get what you are saying about simplifying the offense, and I'm with you on that.

I guess one of the biggest fingers pointed not being mentioned here is the losses of Free and Leary. Totally crushed our O line dominance and it a posed our young QB.

Archived