49ers Mock Offseason 1.0

Mockortalk

First crack at a mock offseason obviously not going to be perfect but want to get some ideas of who the 49ers should target this offseason via free agency, trade, and the draft. The draft will expand to more rounds when I do some more homework on the prospects. Well comment and let me know what you think...

Resign

QB Jimmy Garoppolo (obviously)

RB Carlos Hyde (only on team friendly deal)

RT Garry Gilliam (keeping depth at O Line)

C Daniel Kilgore (bring him back to start, Draft his eventual replacement in mid to late rounds)

DE Cassius Marsh (played very well as a situational pass rusher. Need to bring him back)

ILB Brock Coyle (bring him back as a backup and special teams help.)

POSITION CHANGE ( no reason to get rid of players with there talent when they are still on there rookie deals, evaluate next year or trade them)

Move Jimmie Ward from S to CB

Move Arik Armstead from LEO to the BIG END

FREE AGENCY

Sign WR Allen Robinson ( Robinson, Garçon, Goodwin, Taylor, Kittle solid weapons for Jimmy G)

Sign DE Ezekiel Ansah ( need to go after him hard to make him our LEO)

Sign CB Kyle Fuller ( press man corner that is really good in Run support, fits our scheme and is still very young. Costs less than Malcolm butler)

DRAFT

ROUND 1: Quinton Nelson OG ND ( starts day 1 and gives us a pro bowl level player for years to come. )

ROUND 2: Tremaine Edmunds LB VT ( 6’5 236lbs, explosive, aggressive, Sideline to sideline. He will Rotate with Malcolm Smith in year 1 and will take over at WILL LB.)

ROUND 3: Josh Sweat EDGE FSU ( 6’5 250lbs, #1 recruit coming out of high school explosive athlete who can challenge Eli Harold for the SAM LB spot. Future LB CORPS, Josh Sweat, Rueben Foster, Tremaine Edmunds.)

ROUND 3: DJ Reed CB KSU ( very good athlete who is always making plays gives us another CB to go along with Kyle Fuller, Will Witherspoon, Jimmie Ward, Kwuann Williams, DJ Reed.)

TRADE BAIT

Arik Armstead

Jimmie Ward

DEPTH CHART

OFFENSE

QB: Jimmy Garoppolo, CJ Beathard

RB: Carlos Hyde, Matt Breida, Joe Williams

FB: Kyle Juszcyzk

X: Allen Robinson, Pierre Garçon, Aldrick Robinson 

Z: Marquise Goodwin, Pierre Garçon, Aldrick Robinson 

Slot: Trent Taylor, Marquise Goodwin

TE: George Kittle, Garrett Celek

LT: Joe Staley, Trent Brown

LG: Quinton Nelson, Zane Beadles 

C: Dan Kilgore, 

RG: Josh Garnett, Laken Tomlinson

RT: Trent Brown, Garry Gilliam

DEFENSE

LEO: Ezekiel Ansah, Cassius Marsh

3 Tech: Deforest Buckner, 

1 Tech: Earl Mitchell

SDE: Solomon Thomas, Arik Armstead

SAM: Eli Harold, Josh Sweat

MIKE: Rueben Foster, Brock Coyle, 

WILL: Malcolm Smith, Tremaine Edmunds

CB: Kyle Fuller, Jimmie Ward

CB: Will Witherspoon, DJ Reed

NICKEL: Jimmie Ward, Kwuann Williams

FS: Adrian Colbert, Antone Exum

SS: Jaquiski Tartt, Chanceller James

thats what I got what do you think? Hard to predict trades so didn’t want to add those but I wouldn’t mind giving a mid round pick for a guy like Dez Bryant for instance if he becomes available for trade.

I like a lot of this all the way through. 

You resign a lot of guys that I wouldnt in Kilgore, Hyde, and Gilliam but I could be talked into a reason for each of them. Marsh and Coyle are big keepers for me, for some reason I just know in some capacity they make this team better even when they aren't starting. Your FA's in Ansah, Robinson, and Fuller mightall be #1 at their position and command #1 dinero so I'd like to see how all the $$$ work. Hey if we can afford all of them and JimmyG's extension do it, but I dont really see how without crippling us the next 5 years. 

I like the draft enough, Nelson...meh, but Tremaine Edwards is a eye popping prospect...dudes 19 years old and will be until May. He should be a 1st  round pick and if we still had our original 2nd we might have a chance but if we can snag him in round 2 i'm all game. Reed is a stud too, havent watch more than a couple games really but I love his story walking on at Fresno then to juco then to kstate all american. Sweat's medical is going to be the most important for him, he might be another Carradine type guy honestly and I'd rather avoid that after those rough Baalke years. If we could get a guy like Auburn's Jeff Holland instead in the early 3rd that'd be ideal. 

I still think Ward is a safety and starts the year there especially in your scenario where we let go of Reid (good move), sign a top corner FA, and draft a corner early. K'waun has the nickle spot locked down and Akhello would be on the outside with Fuller. 

I threw up a little seeing Aldrick Robinson on the depth chart btw...never want to see him again. 

On 1/11/2018 at 8:24 AM, 48 1/2ers said:

I like a lot of this all the way through. 

You resign a lot of guys that I wouldnt in Kilgore, Hyde, and Gilliam but I could be talked into a reason for each of them. Marsh and Coyle are big keepers for me, for some reason I just know in some capacity they make this team better even when they aren't starting. Your FA's in Ansah, Robinson, and Fuller mightall be #1 at their position and command #1 dinero so I'd like to see how all the $$$ work. Hey if we can afford all of them and JimmyG's extension do it, but I dont really see how without crippling us the next 5 years. 

I like the draft enough, Nelson...meh, but Tremaine Edwards is a eye popping prospect...dudes 19 years old and will be until May. He should be a 1st  round pick and if we still had our original 2nd we might have a chance but if we can snag him in round 2 i'm all game. Reed is a stud too, havent watch more than a couple games really but I love his story walking on at Fresno then to juco then to kstate all american. Sweat's medical is going to be the most important for him, he might be another Carradine type guy honestly and I'd rather avoid that after those rough Baalke years. If we could get a guy like Auburn's Jeff Holland instead in the early 3rd that'd be ideal. 

I still think Ward is a safety and starts the year there especially in your scenario where we let go of Reid (good move), sign a top corner FA, and draft a corner early. K'waun has the nickle spot locked down and Akhello would be on the outside with Fuller. 

I threw up a little seeing Aldrick Robinson on the depth chart btw...never want to see him again. 

Lol that Aldrick Robinson comment made me laugh, but Hyde I don’t really care if he leaves or not he is obviously a good player but also an expendable one if he prices himself out with his contract. Only a team friendly deal would I want to keep Hyde. He stayed healthy this year and with Joe Williams who I’m still really high on returning this year,  I think the Three headed monster of Hyde Breida and Williams would be awesome for our team even though the Fantasy player in me would hate another RBC. but Kilgore played way better at the end of the year with jimmy G under center, who knew the line would look bad when Hoyer and Beathard are holding the ball for 4-5seconds. Jimmy G makes our line a lot more formidable. So I would love Kilgore back and draft someone to learn. 

Yeah im a big fan of Edmunds as well and by the end of this post I wasn’t thinking, because I forgot we are at the end of the 2nd. I agree with you I don’t think he will be there late because he is going to have a good combine as well. 

My top 5 corners so far are

1. Josh Jackson IOWA

2. Denzel Ward OSU

3. Jaire Alexander LOU

4. DJ Reed

5. Tavarus McFadden

Although I don’t think they will be drafted in that order.

Archived