Bears Hire Mark Helfrich as OC

gopherwrestler

On 1/11/2018 at 10:32 AM, Nads786 said:

My only concern with this is how many hits is Mitch going to take?

Hard to say, but when Nagy was playcalling he protected Smith pretty well. I think he averaged 2 sacks per game given up, and they were still being pretty aggressive in the playcalling.

I'm sure we won't see any QB beatdowns like Cutler endured under Martz. Nagy should likely get the ball out pretty quickly.

Nagy doesn't want 'yes men' on his staff, he wants people from different backgrounds and he wants everyone to get together, present their best ideas, and build a scheme off that knowledge to best suit Mitch Trubisky.

It's interesting. It could be great, it could be a disaster... but at the offense's core it will be a WCO and it'll be dressed up with some spread concepts.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Nagy doesn't want 'yes men' on his staff, he wants people from different backgrounds and he wants everyone to get together, present their best ideas, and build a scheme off that knowledge to best suit Mitch Trubisky.

It's interesting. It could be great, it could be a disaster... but at the offense's core it will be a WCO and it'll be dressed up with some spread concepts.

I had to wait and ponder on him a bit before I made up my mind. He honestly never came up in any of my time wondering who the OC could be. But I have really come to like the signing.  

I love it because Nagy will help develop Trubisky into a pro QB, but Helfrich offers a lot of concepts that involve RPOs, mismatches, hurry-up offenses, etc that tie closely to what Mitch did at UNC. Loggains stupidly refused to adapt and let him gradually work on pro concepts during most games, but Helfrich should be able to get him in a rhythm and use what methods he is already comfortable with.

Look at Mariota. He was fantastic with playaction as a college player, and he was great on Sundays early due to using so much of what he was successful with in college. They tried to make him more of a pocket passer after the injury, and his play tailed off. But look at his stats with playaction, still high end. If we can use what allows Trubisky to succeed now, and work on slowly adding more in so he has mare facets to his arsenal, he can enjoy a lot of success. Gradually lower the amount of shotgun snaps, don't do one man reads but don't hesitate to add flood concepts so there are just two guys to read and make a throw to the open one or a dump off (like PHI does so well), slowly add more option routes as he gets more in sync with receivers, etc.

Seems like a really smart hiring IMO.

Archived