Offseason news/rumours

KimuraGod

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'm curious to see how Dak is moving forward.  I think he's fools gold to an extent.  People want him to be Wilson and he's not.  That team is going to start crumbling around him which it already is and it'll be interesting to see if he takes his game to the next level like Wilson or if he falls flat.  

I think if they can keep that OLine together and Elliott that Dak is just set up to succeed. I still don’t think he’s a good QB, I just think he’s in a great situation. But let’s be honest it’s a good situation to surround a young QB in. We saw Oakland do it similar with Carr. They built up the OLine to help him out but more in FA. Still a great game plan to attack developing a young QB. The big thing is to not let those pieces around fall off too early. We tried something similar with Sanchez. But we let all the pieces leave before he completed his development. That’s not me saying Sanchez could have been a great franchise QB, it’s me saying we had a good game plan early in his career, but then got off track. I’d like to see us go back to that. Build up the OLine and get a very good RB via draft or Bell in FA to groom a young QB.

We can't build up the O-line AND get the young RB and get the young QB. We have to make choices. The O line, while not great, could have four returning starters (which would not be a bad thing, imo). If we can solidify the center position, I think we'll be alright. Not a great O line, but decent. As long as they can run-block, I'll take my chances with the pass-blocking--especially if we have a mobile QB. Even McCown survived for most of the season with this O line this past season, and he was an injury waiting to happen everywhere else he played in his career. So, there is hope.

This O line + a new veteran center might not be good enough for a stationary, pocket-passer type, but with a young, mobile QB I think we should be OK.

The real key will be to add the QB and RB this off-season.

I'd take bell. The things he can do is hard to find in the draft. With him growing up as a Jets fan, he comes in with a different attitude than the average free agent. 

Bring him, Jensen, Graham/Eifert, pick a vet QB, and then draft a QB .  We could still have $50-60M left 

The surrounding looks like

RB: Bell.Powell

WR: Enunwa.Anderson.Kearse

TE: Graham/Eifert 

If we don't go with Bell, it's fine. Can pull in Crowell or draft someone which saves money but still gives us talent there. I want to spread some of this money out. We have the cap space and picks to fill our gaps with potential talent. 

25 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'd take bell. The things he can do is hard to find in the draft. With him growing up as a Jets fan, he comes in with a different attitude than the average free agent. 

Bring him, Jensen, Graham/Eifert, pick a vet QB, and then draft a QB .  We could still have $50-60M left 

The surrounding looks like

RB: Bell.Powell

WR: Enunwa.Anderson.Kearse

TE: Graham/Eifert 

If we don't go with Bell, it's fine. Can pull in Crowell or draft someone which saves money but still gives us talent there. I want to spread some of this money out. We have the cap space and picks to fill our gaps with potential talent. 

We won't have 50-60 mil left bud after all of those guys and re-signing our own.  Him, Jensen, Graham/Eifert, and a vet QB will likely run us at least 40 mil.  It'll take prob 30 to re-sign all of our guys.  Figuring in the draft, we'd likely have about 30 left (still solid either way).  

39 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

We can't build up the O-line AND get the young RB and get the young QB. We have to make choices. The O line, while not great, could have four returning starters (which would not be a bad thing, imo). If we can solidify the center position, I think we'll be alright. Not a great O line, but decent. As long as they can run-block, I'll take my chances with the pass-blocking--especially if we have a mobile QB. Even McCown survived for most of the season with this O line this past season, and he was an injury waiting to happen everywhere else he played in his career. So, there is hope.

This O line + a new veteran center might not be good enough for a stationary, pocket-passer type, but with a young, mobile QB I think we should be OK.

In all honesty, there's no reason why we can sign Jensen and then go Mayfield, Michel, I. Wynn in the draft.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think if they can keep that OLine together and Elliott that Dak is just set up to succeed. I still don’t think he’s a good QB, I just think he’s in a great situation. But let’s be honest it’s a good situation to surround a young QB in. We saw Oakland do it similar with Carr. They built up the OLine to help him out but more in FA. Still a great game plan to attack developing a young QB. The big thing is to not let those pieces around fall off too early. We tried something similar with Sanchez. But we let all the pieces leave before he completed his development. That’s not me saying Sanchez could have been a great franchise QB, it’s me saying we had a good game plan early in his career, but then got off track. I’d like to see us go back to that. Build up the OLine and get a very good RB via draft or Bell in FA to groom a young QB.

It's a good point because as the running game and defense took a step back this year so did Carr, Dak and so did Sanchez when we had to move on from Braylon Edwards.  Some guys are good QB's when in the right spots like Sanchez, Carr, Dak etc and some are just studs like Wilson, Brady, Brees, Wentz etc.  I'd love to have a stud that can elevate their team but at this point I'd settle for just a good QB at this point.

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

It's a good point because as the running game and defense took a step back this year so did Carr, Dak and so did Sanchez when we had to move on from Braylon Edwards.  Some guys are good QB's when in the right spots like Sanchez, Carr, Dak etc and some are just studs like Wilson, Brady, Brees, Wentz etc.  I'd love to have a stud that can elevate their team but at this point I'd settle for just a good QB at this point.

Well obviously, but it’s not the only way to get a franchise QB. Wilson wasn’t a star from the get go either, neither was Wentz (he struggled last season). Almost every QB has a learning curve. But if you can build a foundation around the QB it helps develop them. So you can take a average to good QB and develop them into a franchise great QB. What happens is, you give the QB more and more to do each year. You need a strong OLine and run game to allow this. The problem that a lot of teams do is throw a QB right into a bad situation and ruin them (us with Geno). Not every team is in a situation like ours where we can hit a lot of needs with 4 quality draft picks and 100mill in cap space. I’d love to see us come into camp with an upgrade at QB via Cousins or a drafted QB, a new very good C, possibly even an upgrade at OG and a go to RB. If we can do that on offense we have a nice foundation going forward.

3 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

We won't have 50-60 mil left bud after all of those guys and re-signing our own.  Him, Jensen, Graham/Eifert, and a vet QB will likely run us at least 40 mil.  It'll take prob 30 to re-sign all of our guys.  Figuring in the draft, we'd likely have about 30 left (still solid either way).  

I was saying we would have that much after we sign the guys I listed. We have a chance to hit $110M in cap space after cuts. But to have $60M + Draft picks after picking up those guys is a great situation to be in. We don't have a lot of players we have to resign. So anything can happen with that. 

4 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head, that is my feeling also. With the draft picks we got to go along with money we will have we could do big things in the offseason. It is going to be very tricky, and it is going to take a little luck, but it could be done.

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

I was saying we would have that much after we sign the guys I listed. We have a chance to hit $110M in cap space after cuts. But to have $60M + Draft picks after picking up those guys is a great situation to be in. We don't have a lot of players we have to resign. So anything can happen with that. 

Ah, got it.  Agreed.

2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I would love to sign cousins, but I like the idea of spreading our cap space as well. I'd be happy either way. 

The reason he rejected the offer from Redskins was the contract that would allow Redskins to cut him loose after 2018. Jets could commit him for 4 solid seasons (out of 5 or 6 years) of 22-24m on first year with 31m at peak.

Archived