Offseason news/rumours

KimuraGod

20 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

We don't really need him at this point, but Mychal Kendricks was cut.

Damn always thought he was good but yeah doubt we go for him unless they want to me be Lee to a limited role which I doubt

28 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its a mistake that Bridgewater isn't starting in the OTAs already.

Ok... i am hoping for the best for Teddy, but i think the #3 overall pick needs the reps more.  Also Teddy is a bright experienced guy, he does't need as many reps as Sam

44 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its a mistake that Bridgewater isn't starting in the OTAs already.

Teddy I think should start Week 1. Imo starting McCown is a complete waste of time. He’s a player coach right now. Only reason why I think we maybe signed him for the amount we did, was to make sure we hit the cap floor. Ideally for me Teddy plays the 1st 1/2 of the year and then we give it over to Darnold. Teddy and Darnold we won’t rush. For different reasons. One is still trying to get back healthy and to game speed while the other is just learning in general. Both are very smart minds so I like the smarts being in the QB room.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Teddy I think should start Week 1. Imo starting McCown is a complete waste of time. He’s a player coach right now. Only reason why I think we maybe signed him for the amount we did, was to make sure we hit the cap floor. Ideally for me Teddy plays the 1st 1/2 of the year and then we give it over to Darnold. Teddy and Darnold we won’t rush. For different reasons. One is still trying to get back healthy and to game speed while the other is just learning in general. Both are very smart minds so I like the smarts being in the QB room.

If even a tiny part of giving McCown 10 million dollars was to hit the cap floor then everyone should be fired.  Seriously we could have just offered Allen Robinson 10 million more per year and made sure we got him (I'm not really suggesting that).  But think about the guys we apparently missed out on but pursued this offseason.  Offer each a bit more than we did out of that 10 mill we have McCown and we land all of them probably.

The reason we signed McCown to any amount that makes the most sense to me that i have heard is that he is basically a QB coach who doesn't have the time restrictions to work with Sam that the actual coaching staff has to adhere too.  Also he is a competent enough QB that if Sam isn't 100% ready then he can win you some games.  Remember he was signed before we landed Bridgewater so we didn't actually know we were going to have another young guy. 

10 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

If even a tiny part of giving McCown 10 million dollars was to hit the cap floor then everyone should be fired.  Seriously we could have just offered Allen Robinson 10 million more per year and made sure we got him (I'm not really suggesting that).  But think about the guys we apparently missed out on but pursued this offseason.  Offer each a bit more than we did out of that 10 mill we have McCown and we land all of them probably.

The reason we signed McCown to any amount that makes the most sense to me that i have heard is that he is basically a QB coach who doesn't have the time restrictions to work with Sam that the actual coaching staff has to adhere too.  Also he is a competent enough QB that if Sam isn't 100% ready then he can win you some games.  Remember he was signed before we landed Bridgewater so we didn't actually know we were going to have another young guy. 

I think in hindsight we wouldn't have brought him back as a player. He would have been asked to coach. We gave him starter money and then brought in 2 better options than him post him signing. With a hell of a lot more upside as well. My main point is that he shouldn't start any games this year really. If Teddy is healthy he should start the season (unless Darnold looks ready, which I doubt). Then hand over the reigns to Darnold at about 5-8 games into the season. McCown starting doesn't help this franchise in any kind of way.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think in hindsight we wouldn't have brought him back as a player. He would have been asked to coach. We gave him starter money and then brought in 2 better options than him post him signing. With a hell of a lot more upside as well. My main point is that he shouldn't start any games this year really. If Teddy is healthy he should start the season (unless Darnold looks ready, which I doubt). Then hand over the reigns to Darnold at about 5-8 games into the season. McCown starting doesn't help this franchise in any kind of way.

Best case scenario is probably that Teddy wins the starting job BARELY over Sam.  Sam continues to progress and takes over.  Teddy becomes a tradeable commodity this year like Garappolo was last year.  We also get a 2nd rounder out of Teddy to make up for the one we traded away in 2019.  Sam goes on to destroy the league.

4 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Best case scenario is probably that Teddy wins the starting job BARELY over Sam.  Sam continues to progress and takes over.  Teddy becomes a tradeable commodity this year like Garappolo was last year.  We also get a 2nd rounder out of Teddy to make up for the one we traded away in 2019.  Sam goes on to destroy the league.

Both you and Bobby have good points, the only sticker with me is the 10 million we are paying Mc Cown.  But we are in the best shape we are in for many years. We have to let this whole thing play out and be  patient.

$10M for a QB is the cheapest contract for a veteran starter. Only guys making less are on their rookie deals. If we went into the draft with Teddy, Hack, and Petty we probably would have given up an extra pick or two to swap with the giants just to avoid the fan outcry if we missed our guy. 

Our QB situation looks is great at the moment. Looks like Teddy is healthy and ready to ball out. Sounds like Darnold is out there competing and learning. He’ll go through a learning curve. 

I thought Darnold would start week 1 because I think he’ll be out McCown but I didn’t factor in that Teddy would be this far along. I think both will beat McCown and Teddy will get the week 1 start. 

Teddy is the best QB at the moment I think that’s clear especially if he’s healthy. 

Darnold is clearly the future but he didn’t look good against the vets yesterday but nothing outlandish to where they wrote negative articles obviously it’s day 1 of year 1 for him. 

We have no incentive to rush him, our best case scenario is both Bridgewater and Darnold balling out to where we have the ability to move Teddy for a 1st or 2nd this year or next year via Franchise Tag and Darnold becomes an All-Pro caliber QB. 

If Alex Smith can net KC a 3rd and stud CB then Teddy if healthy and playing well will net us something good.

We had 1 #%^@ing OTA and Teddy Bridgewater is the best QB. Everyone needs to relax a second. OTA! Not even mini camp or training camp. Pump the breaks. Remember Geno Smith was a HOFer in practice, just saying, and again, we aren't even in camp. 

39 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

We had 1 #%^@ing OTA and Teddy Bridgewater is the best QB. Everyone needs to relax a second. OTA! Not even mini camp or training camp. Pump the breaks. Remember Geno Smith was a HOFer in practice, just saying, and again, we aren't even in camp. 

Bridgewater has shown he can play in this league though. Health is his only issue. So if he shows he is his old self. He is the best QB atm. He’s not the future here being that we drafted Darnold... but I’d like to see him start over mccown.

Archived