Offseason news/rumours

KimuraGod

I just read that a independent reporter Shawn King is saying that some unnamed star players are trying to get at least 25% of the players to sit out the season till Reid & Kap get signed. Like always this maggot King never gives names, he is just another guy who wants to start trouble &  ruined the season. 

No way this happens. First off if he says star I'm thinking of a guy that makes 10 plus mill a year. No way a guy would risk that money and be out of the league. The NFL can do what every they want because those 32 guys own the company. They have had in the rules for years that all players must stay with their right hand over their heart and the helmet in their left hand. You break the rules that the union agreed on years ago you can lose your job. All these cases will be thrown out that Kap is trying to do. I would never want Kap on the jets because he sucks. The guy is just not a good football player anymore. 

8 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

No way this happens. First off if he says star I'm thinking of a guy that makes 10 plus mill a year. No way a guy would risk that money and be out of the league. The NFL can do what every they want because those 32 guys own the company. They have had in the rules for years that all players must stay with their right hand over their heart and the helmet in their left hand. You break the rules that the union agreed on years ago you can lose your job. All these cases will be thrown out that Kap is trying to do. I would never want Kap on the jets because he sucks. The guy is just not a good football player anymore. 

I agree that it probably won’t happen because of the risk factors for players if it goes wrong for them. They could lose their fortune they’ve earnt through all the years. It’s just too much money! 

However I must disagree about Kap. He without doubt doesn’t ‘suck’. In fact with good pieces around him he could of continued to be a good qb. He got left out to dry in SF and if you can honestly say that last year we were  a better football team with Petty as our QB  than what we would of been with Kap then I really don’t know what else I can say. 

He is good enough to be employed to be a professional football player. Without question. It’s not even a debate. What is a debate is “is he good enough a football player that can make up for the drama and ****storm that would surround him”.

I don't think Kap is that good. I think there are better options out there. I think RG3 is better than him and he was out of the league last year too. You have to remember that most teams only carry 2 QB now most teams don't carry 3 so that is less jobs out there. I also would like to bring up that the jets wanted young guys last year and Kap was too old and would only take reps from the young guys. The jets had their vet in McCown who I think is a lot better than Kap and a GREAT team player. 

On 5/25/2018 at 1:55 PM, Bobby816 said:

I’d only be ok with trading him if it were to start Darnold. Not start McCown for 8 games then go to a Darnold. It’s so hard as a fan to watch these 35-40yr olds QB this team. It’s been too many years for us as fans to have to deal with. So if keeping TB around us enough to not start McCown then yes I can careless about that 2nd Rounder. We can’t seem to draft well there anyway. So I’d rather atleast jeep ya as fans excited for the team each week with not trading TB rather than add that 2nd. Now if trading TB means Darnold starts immediately... then yes trade TB. To sum up... I think we’re completely wasting the team and fans time by starting McCown in any way this year. Unless an emergency pops up. 

Guess I agree overall but I'm not worried about McCown if a team is offering up a high 2nd for TB.  Take it and start McCown for 3-4 games if need be to ease Darnold in.  

I agree if Darnold looks way behind in his readiness then trading TB and playing McCown all year is a bad idea.  Gaining a 2nd though and playing McCown 3-4 games isn't the worst thing in the world when you can gain a valuable pick basically for free.

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Guess I agree overall but I'm not worried about McCown if a team is offering up a high 2nd for TB.  Take it and start McCown for 3-4 games if need be to ease Darnold in.  

I agree if Darnold looks way behind in his readiness then trading TB and playing McCown all year is a bad idea.  Gaining a 2nd though and playing McCown 3-4 games isn't the worst thing in the world when you can gain a valuable pick basically for free.

The issue that I have with this is how much easier our schedule is to start the season. So I could see us winning a few of those games and not benching McCown bc “he gives us the best chance to win.” Same stuff we’ve had to deal with for a few years now.

Josh McCown is a 38yr old journeyman QB who had a good half-season before getting hurt like the rest of the career. Let's be clear Josh McCown is a backup QB on good team.    I don't care how much money the Jets are wasting on him this year.  If Teddy Bridgewater is the best QB on the field I expect Coach Bowles to play him. There is no rush to trade Teddy Bridgwater if he is playing well.   The Jets can play Bridgewater this year and let him walk after the season for a compensatory pick if they feel Sam Darnold is ready to go. If not re-sign Teddy on a short-term deal to give Darnold more time to development. Sam is only 20. 

OUCH!!

Encouraged that Darnold already is looking smoother and more natural in the offense after only a week.  Also really happy with the consistent rave reviews about Hansen.  I had really high hopes for him last year, but he missed camp and it is hard for a rookie to get out of the blocks after an injury to start the year.

20 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't think Kap is that good. I think there are better options out there. I think RG3 is better than him and he was out of the league last year too. You have to remember that most teams only carry 2 QB now most teams don't carry 3 so that is less jobs out there. I also would like to bring up that the jets wanted young guys last year and Kap was too old and would only take reps from the young guys. The jets had their vet in McCown who I think is a lot better than Kap and a GREAT team player. 

You’ve not really answered my question though. You feel Kap “is that good”. But who is that in comparison of? Is it Brady/Brees (franchise QBs) or Petty/Hoyer (backup bums). 

Compared to Brady your right he’s not that good. Compared to Petty and he’s like Joe Montana. The real fact if the matter is if he just played football and didn’t kneel he would still have a job in the NFL. 

I’m not saying we should sign him or anything like that but when the likes of Hoyer and Weeden and the likes continue to have jobs it makes you question.

3 hours ago, xenajets said:

You’ve not really answered my question though. You feel Kap “is that good”. But who is that in comparison of? Is it Brady/Brees (franchise QBs) or Petty/Hoyer (backup bums). 

Compared to Brady your right he’s not that good. Compared to Petty and he’s like Joe Montana. The real fact if the matter is if he just played football and didn’t kneel he would still have a job in the NFL. 

I’m not saying we should sign him or anything like that but when the likes of Hoyer and Weeden and the likes continue to have jobs it makes you question.

He’s a distraction. Whether you agree with it don’t agree with what he’s standing (kneeling) up for... it’s a distraction. And clearly teams don’t want that. We also have no clue what type of contract he has been demanding. Maybe a couple teams have had serious interest but he wants starter money (this is just a guess). But it’s really the distraction issue. In comparison... it’s really no different than the how talented a player is with off the field issues topic. Tom Brady kneels and he’s on s roster. Bc he’s a great QB. Kaep while he probably should be on a team... isn’t worth it for teams bc the talent level isn’t high enough for the distraction. Jalin Marshall does drugs you cut him. Robby Anderson gets arrested twice and he’s still on the roster. Bc of talent. So he’s worth the risk of a longer string. Kaep isn’t worth that longer string talent wise with his distractions.

Anyone feel like Darnold has less pressure on him than recent guys like Hack, Geno(both 2nd Round picks)

Even Sanchez seemed to have more pressure.

Everything surrounding Darnold has been really easy going. Even his turnover issue from the draft process has seemed to be thrown out the window. The picks he's thrown in OTA's so far have gotten limited coverage as well.

Makes me think the media was more focused on highlighting negatives from more polarizing guys than just simply reporting things as they happened. 

12 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Anyone feel like Darnold has less pressure on him than recent guys like Hack, Geno(both 2nd Round picks)

Even Sanchez seemed to have more pressure.

Everything surrounding Darnold has been really easy going. Even his turnover issue from the draft process has seemed to be thrown out the window. The picks he's thrown in OTA's so far have gotten limited coverage as well.

Makes me think the media was more focused on highlighting negatives from more polarizing guys than just simply reporting things as they happened. 

I think it’s bc the roster still isn’t very good. I feel like Sanchez had pressure bc we had a top defense, a good OLine and a run game with a few weapons. But he actually QBd our team to 2 AFCCGs so it was hard to complain. It was post that where the pressure came.

I feel like Geno didn’t have a lot of pressure. He wasn’t supposed to start as a rookie. And the fact that he QBd us to 8-8 was a miracle quite frankly. It was that following season where he had higher  cowcatiojs after an overachieving season.

Our roster right now isn’t that great. Most guys still peg is as a bottom 5 team or so in the NFL, so of course there’s no pressure. Which I think is good. The part I don’t like is that our schedule to finish the year is difficult. So Darnold if thrown in there will have to play some tough teams to finding the season. He doesn’t play well and it will hurt his confidence. I don’t think enough to affect much, but will hurt it.

17 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s a distraction. Whether you agree with it don’t agree with what he’s standing (kneeling) up for... it’s a distraction. And clearly teams don’t want that. We also have no clue what type of contract he has been demanding. Maybe a couple teams have had serious interest but he wants starter money (this is just a guess). But it’s really the distraction issue. In comparison... it’s really no different than the how talented a player is with off the field issues topic. Tom Brady kneels and he’s on s roster. Bc he’s a great QB. Kaep while he probably should be on a team... isn’t worth it for teams bc the talent level isn’t high enough for the distraction. Jalin Marshall does drugs you cut him. Robby Anderson gets arrested twice and he’s still on the roster. Bc of talent. So he’s worth the risk of a longer string. Kaep isn’t worth that longer string talent wise with his distractions.

It’s nothing to do with the kneeling issue. I don’t have enough knowledge on that situation to give a debate over it. I’m just responding to someone saying “he sucks” and isn’t good enough to play in the NFL. That’s incorrect in my opinion as he’s talent is good enough to be on a roster. 

As far as being a distraction I can easily see why teams won’t sign him. But that’s not what I was responding to. Will be interesting to see if he gets signed this year because if not it would be tough to come back after two years out of the game. 

Kap does suck

His last 10 starts 0-10. He also has thrown a TON on ints in his last few games. I would also like to add that some teams have reported a few years ago if he was even committed to the game. So ya he sucks in my book and should not be on anyone roster. 

Archived