Who Needs A Quarterback?

alfalcone

In thinking about the 2018 draft, I've come to the realization that their will likely be record demand for Quarterbacks, as a result of poor play, aging stars, and pending free agents, the combination of which I suspect will elevate a record number of quarterbacks into the first round, regardless of their true value.  The below list is my best guess of teams by first round draft pick that are likely to, will consider, or are set at quarterack

1 Cleveland Browns Likely    
2 New York Giants Likely    
3 Indianapolis Colts Set / Will Consider (Luck's health is variable)    
4 Cleveland Browns (from Texans) Set (Assumes number 1 pick used at QB)    
5 Denver Broncos Likely    
6 New York Jets Likely    
7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Set    
8 Chicago Bears Set    
9 San Francisco 49ers Set    
10 Oakland Raiders Set    
11 Miami Dolphins Will Consider    
12 Cincinnati Bengals Will Consider    
13 Washington Redskins Will Consider (Likely if Cousins walks, Set if resigned)    
14 Green Bay Packers Set    
15 Arizona Cardinals Likely    
16 Baltimore Ravens Will Consider    
17 Los Angeles Chargers Will Consider    
18 Seattle Seahawks Set    
19 Dallas Cowboys Set    
20 Detroit Lions Set    
21 Buffalo Bills Likely    
22 Buffalo Bills (from Chiefs) Set (Assumes prior pick is used on a QB)    
23 Los Angeles Rams Set    
24 Carolina Panthers Set    
25 Tennessee Titans Set    
26 Jacksonville Jaguars Will Consider (Free Agency a more likely avenue)    
27 Atlanta Falcons Set    
28 New Orleans Saints Will Consider (Brees is 39 and a Free Agent)    
29 Pittsburgh Steelers Will Consider    
30 Philadelphia Eagles Set    
31 New England Patriots Will Consider    
32 Minnesota Vikings Will Consider    

By my count there are 6 teams that will likely desire to use a first round pick on a quarterback, with an additional 11 teams that will consider drafting a QB at some point.  However, will strong there are questions to a certain degree among all top QB candidates; Lamar Jackson, Josh Rosen, Mason Rudolph, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, etc.  

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

It’s why I see 5 QBs taken in the 1st round. 

Darnold/Rosen/Allen/Mayfield/Jackson

I dont like Rudolph, but I could see his name being called in r1 too as these QB stocks rocket up

I'm coming around to the idea that Riley Ferguson is picked before Rudolph, possibly even a late 1st New England pick. He's a name to watch in the EW Shrine game and might cause a stir like Jimmy G did. 

30 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I had no clue he was that old. Wow.

He doesn't turn 35 until next December and he hasn't dropped 100 hints about retiring like his predecessor. Rodgers' also stated he wants many more years in the NFL. Always be careful where you get your Packers info, there are any number of baseless comments posted on the internet. The Packers will not be investing a top pick at QB in 2018.

also, kudos to alfacone for pulling together the chart, good stuff

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

He doesn't turn 35 until next December and he hasn't dropped 100 hints about retiring like his predecessor. Rodgers' also stated he wants many more years in the NFL. Always be careful where you get your Packers info, there are any number of baseless comments posted on the internet. The Packers will not be investing a top pick at QB in 2018.

I don't expect the Packers to go 1st round QB or anything, I just honestly thought ARod was like 32. I know it's 2-3 years, but that's a lot.

While not in the 1st round, the Texans are certain to draft a QB in the mid to late rounds - someone with a specific skill set to what Deshaun Watson brings to the table.

I'm thinking JT Barrett will be picked up by the Texans in the 6th round. Has similar mobility and "big moment" awareness, but really doesn't translate out to a high pick given his weaknesses at the position.

21 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

They should. Not like a first or anything, but someone in the top 3 rounds. Or they should sign a reliable back up. If I'm them, I can't trust Hundley enough to blindly give him the back up job moving forward. If he wins it in competition, fine. But there should at least be a real competition. 

On 1/11/2018 at 11:17 AM, gopherwrestler said:

Packers drafted Brett Favre's replacement when Favre was 35. Drafted this QB in the 1st round

Rodgers turns 35 in December.

Kinda amusing how you worded that.  Instead of saying he just turned 34, you just said he'll be 35 years old 11 months from now.  Just interesting.

I've done look into it, since the Packers pick at 14.  When you look at the franchises above them, you've got the teams that are going to be open to the idea of taking a QB and ones that aren't.  The only real notable wild card in that is Washington with the Kirk Cousins situation.  Obviously, Cleveland (at 1 or 4) absolutely seems poised to take a QB.  Given that Eli Manning is 37 years old, the Giants likely are open to taking a QB at 2.  Indianapolis at 3 seems unlikely to take a QB at 3 given their investment in Andrew Luck.  Denver and NY Jets at 5 and 6 seem willing to take a QB if there is value there.  If Rosen/Darnold are off the board, will they like Lamar Jackson/Baker Mayfield/Josh Allen enough to take them?  My guess is NY will hold off, but I think Denver will be impatient enough to take one.  Tampa Bay (Winston), Chicago (Trubisky), San Francisco (Garappolo), and Oakland (Carr) would be a major upset if they took a QB.  Miami is a bit of an unknown at QB and could take a QB at 11.  Cincinnati probably isn't in the market unless the value is too great.  And as I mentioned Washington might be in the market if Cousins goes elsewhere.

I've currently got 3 QBs going in the top 12 (Darnold to Cleveland, Rosen to NY Giants, and Josh Allen to Denver) in my current projections.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

They should. Not like a first or anything, but someone in the top 3 rounds. Or they should sign a reliable back up. If I'm them, I can't trust Hundley enough to blindly give him the back up job moving forward. If he wins it in competition, fine. But there should at least be a real competition. 

Not going to happen.  At best, they'll invest a Day 3 pick into the position.  I mentioned it in the Packers' forum, but there are really only two viable options for the QB situation next year.  The Packers are either going to splurge and sign a veteran FA like Matt Moore or Mark Sanchez or they're going to roll with Brett Hundley as their backup QB.  IF they go and add a veteran, I'd anticipate them trying to flip Hundley to a team for a marginal return (think late Day 3 pick).  I don't see them using anything more than a 5th round pick at best on a QB.  I've had Luke Falk pegged as a potential Packers' pick for a while now.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Not going to happen.  At best, they'll invest a Day 3 pick into the position.  I mentioned it in the Packers' forum, but there are really only two viable options for the QB situation next year.  The Packers are either going to splurge and sign a veteran FA like Matt Moore or Mark Sanchez or they're going to roll with Brett Hundley as their backup QB.  IF they go and add a veteran, I'd anticipate them trying to flip Hundley to a team for a marginal return (think late Day 3 pick).  I don't see them using anything more than a 5th round pick at best on a QB.  I've had Luke Falk pegged as a potential Packers' pick for a while now.

What about signing a guy? I'm actually not all that concerned about replacing Rodgers at this point, I'm more or less thinking about what happens if Rodgers gets banged up again. I'm thinking specifically for the purpose of having a back up quarterback. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

What about signing a guy? I'm actually not all that concerned about replacing Rodgers at this point, I'm more or less thinking about what happens if Rodgers gets banged up again. I'm thinking specifically for the purpose of having a back up quarterback. 

LIS, there's two real options.  Either sign a veteran QB (i.e. Matt Moore, Mark Sanchez, etc.) or roll with Brett Hundley as their backup QB.  The first one seems more prudent given the up and down play of Hundley, but if they do that what happens to Hundley?  He's too valuable to release, but they're not going to get much via a trade.  If they trade him, someone might give a late Day 3 pick for him.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, gopherwrestler said:

Packers drafted Brett Favre's replacement when Favre was 35. Drafted this QB in the 1st round

Rodgers turns 35 in December.

They couldn't pass on Rodgers like the dummies in front of them. Had he not been there, they would have gone in a different direction with that pick. Then drafted a QB in the next few years. They got super lucky that everyone else was asleep in the 1st round. It's too early to think replacement in GB unless some teams act stupid again.

xD looking back at that draft.  The Lions took Mike Williams. WR Matt Jones went right in front of Rodgers and Mark Clayton as well.

Archived