2017 Divisional Round

Leader

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It will be interesting to see how NE holds up next season after (presumably) losing both coordinators, retaining a 41-year-old Brady at QB, and possessing a defense that is not especially talented.  ESPN articles aside, there are plenty of reasons to think the NE dynasty could be nearing its end.  It seems there is still plenty of denial about how crazy good their run has been

I dont take anything away from NE's record - I just wish their Division wasnt infested with disorganized, inefficient Bozo's like the NYJs, MIA & BUF who have failed to cut and paste together any semblance of "consistent" balance and competitiveness. I've no hassle with NE - I'd just like somebody to give them more of a run for the money. Make life a little bit harder for them - more than once every other decade. 

Just now, squire12 said:

Used 1999, as I thought that is when Brady entered the NFL. 

Nice.  For the record, I didn't start the division argument.  Now look up strength of schedule for Brady and Rodgers.  Don't use SoS from the previous seasons.  Show how easy each schedule was based on the teams played THAT  year.  I know for a fact the Patriots had a top 10 easy schedule this year.  We didn't.

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Used 1999, as I thought that is when Brady entered the NFL.  I will post the 2001 to 2017 span since that is when he started playing for NE more

AFC East (not NE)  wins = 367    losses = 449

NFC North (not GB)  wins = 364   losses = 451 ties = 1

Since Rodgers became starter in GB

AFC East (not NE)  wins = 219   losses = 261

NFC North (not GB)  wins = 222   losses = 257 ties = 1

Really good stats, but here is what I would say about that. 

Where would you rank Lions/Vikings in the AFC East division? 2 and 3 easy. 

What powerhouse teams has the AFC has had other than the Patriots, the Colts for a few years, don't even get me started on Peytons AFC South years! 

Just now, squire12 said:

https://www.ryansleeper.com/50-years-of-afc-vs-nfc-matchups/

For the early part of NE time with Brady at the QB, the AFC was by far the dominate conference.  It has shifted some in the last few years to the NFC, but this narrative that NE benefits from having a really easy division/conference in the Brady error is just sour grapes.

No.  It's not.  This is AFC teams versus NFC teams, it is not strength of schedule.  The Patriots have had close to the easiest schedule in the NFL the past five years at least.  Prove me wrong.  Don't muddy the topic with statistics that don't have any relation to what I'm talking about. 

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

https://www.ryansleeper.com/50-years-of-afc-vs-nfc-matchups/

For the early part of NE time with Brady at the QB, the AFC was by far the dominate conference.  It has shifted some in the last few years to the NFC, but this narrative that NE benefits from having a really easy division/conference in the Brady error is just sour grapes.

I disagree.

The NYJs had a 1-2 year run some time back in Sanchez's time. Before then? Since?

BUF just got into the playoffs for the first time since WWII.

MIA?

Come on. Hardly "rough competition" IMO. More like perpetual drowning victims. They come up for a short, brief gasp of air.....only to go back under again.

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No.  It's not.  This is AFC teams versus NFC teams, it is not strength of schedule.  The Patriots have had close to the easiest schedule in the NFL the past five years at least.  Prove me wrong.  Don't muddy the topic with statistics that don't have any relation to what I'm talking about. 

They have had an easier schedule the last 3 years, over the course of Brady's career the NE SoS is around league average

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

I disagree.

The NYJs had a 1-2 year run some time back in Sanchez's time. Before then? Since?

MIA?

Come on. Hardly "rough competition" IMO. More like perpetual drowning victims. They come up for a short, brief gasp of air.....only to go back under again.

Are you claiming the NFC north is a power house in the last 10 years?

Just now, squire12 said:

Are you claiming the NFC north is a power house in the last 10 years?

Listen - I've no issue with NE - nor do I get off discussing them a great deal. Every team/Division/Conference goes thru ebbs and flows.

That said the AFCLeast has been top heavy for a good long while. Poorly run organizations IMO.

Thats the point I'm making - NOT - how it compares to some other chosen Division.

Just now, Leader said:

Listen - I've no issue with NE - nor do I get off discussing them a great deal. Every team/Division/Conference goes thru ebbs and flows.

That said the AFCLeast has been top heavy for a good long while. Poorly run organizations IMO.

Thats the point I'm making - NOT - how it compares to some other chosen Division.

Then I think we agree.  Both the NFC North and the AFC East have been pretty inept outside of NE and GB respectively.  

25 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Nice.  For the record, I didn't start the division argument.  Now look up strength of schedule for Brady and Rodgers.  Don't use SoS from the previous seasons.  Show how easy each schedule was based on the teams played THAT  year.  I know for a fact the Patriots had a top 10 easy schedule this year.  We didn't.

Here you go.     Looks to be pretty even over the course of the full time and not a lot different in the Rodgers era.  The data I found only went back to 2003.  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2018-01-14

End of season SoS rank

NE GB
2003 10 20
2004 1 29
2005 6 19
2006 4 18
2007 8 21
2008 28 21
2009 4 24
2010 5 2
2011 15 19
2012 20 13
2013 10 19
2014 4 6
2015 17 5
2016 23 12
2017 29 4

average -all 12.26666667 15.46666667
avg 2008 - 2017 15.5 12.5

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Then I think we agree.  Both the NFC North and the AFC East have been pretty inept outside of NE and GB respectively.  

I'm smelling bait........(looking around and sniffing.....).....anybody else smell bait?   :)

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

I disagree.

MIA?

There a several Patriot fans in my neighborhood down here and if I even hint that the AFCLeast was a cakewalk for them they cry foul and tell me how tough they have it!  lol

The difference between GB and NE during the Rodgers era isn't the strength of their respective divisions.  Both teams have made the playoffs in virtually every season.  The big difference has been what happens in the playoffs.  The NE teams have generally been more complete teams, and the playoff results speak directly to the truth of that.  The idea that the overall AFC field has been consistently inferior to the NFC field is some damn fine wishful thinking.

Archived