Fortnite

CaliforniaKid7

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

but Fortnite is the most successful game in history, period. Saying the company is trash and the executives need to be fired is ludicrous. 

The executives did nothing special to make it the most popular game, they created the idea of building and pretty much copied/lucked into everything else. From there, they've only done subpar at best, and made things worse plenty of times.

It runs very smooth on all platforms

It has hella lag on xbox for the past several weeks, including incredible fps lag if too many people are building in one area at once like in 50v50.

If you think Fortnite is plagued with bugs, I want to hear what you think of something like PUBG, Battlefield or any Bethesda game. 

I've never played PUBG but from what I've heard, most of the playerbase consider the devs to be trash, Battlefield is owned by EA and propped up by the types of people that support them so they don't have to care about bugs, same thing with Bethesda, they know fans/players will fix them for them in the modding community.

have better community engagement than any other studio

Based on what? Plenty of game companies have people who post on forums and twitter.

If anyone could make Fortnite, they would. Lots of very similar games out there, but none are even worth mentioning in the same breath as Fortnite right now.

All of the real game studios are getting into BRs now, before it was just a bunch of indie devs, unless Epic kills fortnite itself though, nobody can topple the playerbase easily. Just the simple fact that so many millions of people already play fortnite will make it impossible to take over until it kills itself off, this has been seen with plenty of other things like WoW or Facebook.

I honestly expect them to be awful due to both of their horrific DLC/loot systems. 

Of course they will be absolute trash because of greed. We are very lucky to have fortnite as it is, That's why I'm concerned about the leadership. Seriously, try to name three things about this game that make you think, "wow that's next level, only Epic could have done this"

3 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

And what BR game has anything like the playground mode?

Exactly, that's why it should have been around way before now, and should already be permanent. One of BR games' biggest flaws is the difficulty involved in actually practicing anything. And this game isn't just a BR, it was heavily influenced by games like minecraft, so the whole building aspect obviously begs for an open world free roam. On top of this, you can only play in a world for an hour, and can't save anything. Halo 3 had Forge back in 2007 where you could save map edits and play forever.

an amazing replay system

The replay system is amazing in it's ability to make machinima, sure. But most everything else about it is bad. Replays constantly have to be trashed every patch, You can't see players inventory or half their in game HUD while watching them, and it only saves a  small section of the map around you. On top of that, they still haven't allowed you to view inventories while spectating even your own teammates, and the game lacks any sort of a quick kill cam feature.

"practice arena", LTMs, etc. 

The practice mode isn't even full time, and the LTM's have been pretty much nothing but big team battle or playground for the past two months. I think they had a week of snipers only, a week of 5x20, and a week of 12 man teams, but the rest of the past 6 or 7 weeks have been nothing but 50v50 with some playground mixed in.

50v50 is broke too, almost every game I play ends at least 20-0, and >30-0 is pretty common. I don't know how to fix it, but I feel like the only reason people play it is in place of a playground mode.

IMO they need to make playground permanent and each week have a rotating big team battle mode and a rotating fun mode available in duo/squads

That way you in a given week you might have solo/duo/squad, playground, 5x20, and blitz or solid gold. Having nothing but normal and 50x50 (to play against other players in) has sucked the past month.

but this game is awesome.  

Yeah it is, I don't want them to screw it up. The 5.0 update was amazing in many ways but everything since then has been downhill. The tac SMG replacement is very strong and combined with the addition of the drumgun before and the shotgun nerfs the spray meta was crazy op. Explosives were also far too strong making large building fights very risky and in many cases a bad idea. Both of their esports tournaments the past few weeks have probably been the two most poorly run competitive esports events with their levels of prize pools or viewers (either category) in esports history. Then they add the p90 which is just beyond OP, and on such a completely obvious level too, it's by far the best gun in the game.

I just won a solo with it where every single one of the last 5 people had one and by then end I was carrying 2 looking for a third. I got a couple kills where I was just spraying into a guys wall while he turbo built and I didn't even see him before he was dead when he finally stopped.

They are in a slump of making bad decisions that are obviously bad, not just unlucky or misjudged but straight up "what are you thinking"? No team of people working together seriously for several hours a day should ever make a "what are you thinking" bad decision, much less a company pulling in $300,000,000 a month.

Playground will be permanent, they are making it LTM until they work out the major bugs and still making tweaks to the balancing aspects of gameplay in that mode.

That an unknown won their tournament is probably the best PR they could have hoped for.  If somebody like Ninja win, it makes sense.  An unknown winning gives the sense that everyone has a chance, despite the reality that about 0.001% of their player base has a shot.

Epic has been willing to take risks.  Not all of them are going to pan out.  If it were easy, someone would have done it before them.

6 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

lol that take is bad and you should feel bad. If everyone could make Fortnite, someone would've made a comparable game by now but that hasn't happened. Are you that guy who just HAS to complain about things that people love? Don't be that guy

If I am wrong, explain to me what Epic did that no other game company has ever done? Explain to me what they do that nobody else could do? I really enjoy Fortnite and think it's a great game, but the devs are clearly struggling with their success, just like Niantic did.

37 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Playground will be permanent, they are making it LTM until they work out the major bugs and still making tweaks to the balancing aspects of gameplay in that mode.

Why can't they keep it live while fixing bugs? and what balance does it need? It's not competitive, its only for playing around with friends, it's custom games mode.

38 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

That an unknown won their tournament is probably the best PR they could have hoped for.

Except he never streamed his games at all, Imagine watching the olympics and you never see Usain Bolt run, you just hear that he did and he smoked everybody, then he gets the gold. On top of that, he played with a m/kb on console and Epic came out and said that's okay, so next tournament we are going to see most other pros playing m/kb on console.

39 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Epic has been willing to take risks.  Not all of them are going to pan out.

Sure, that's what stuff like most of the regular LTM's and stuff have been for. But the p90 was obviously OP from the start, regular gamers don't need to actually play with it to see that, and game devs with years of experience surely shouldn't need to either.

43 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

If it were easy, someone would have done it before them.

They did, just not as successfully.

6 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

How so? 

Here's one example out of many many examples I can make.  C4 has been beyond broken.  It can take an entire building down in just one C4, maybe 2 at most.  That is literally done to cater to people who play this game and cannot build.  Because in a 1v1, the superior builder has such an advantage and since the average person in this game can't do anything except build a 1x1 and camp inside of it, C4 levels the playing field since the superior player also cannot build due to his buildings getting destroyed in one C4.

I mean, we can go on and on about how changes over the past 2-3 months have been catered more towards bad players to make them enjoy the game more.  And I get why this is happening, 80% of the people who play this game suck, so it's better to cater to that population than the players who are actually good at the game.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

Here's one example out of many many examples I can make.  C4 has been beyond broken.  It can take an entire building down in just one C4, maybe 2 at most.  That is literally done to cater to people who play this game and cannot build.  Because in a 1v1, the superior builder has such an advantage and since the average person in this game can't do anything except build a 1x1 and camp inside of it, C4 levels the playing field since the superior player also cannot build due to his buildings getting destroyed in one C4.

I mean, we can go on and on about how changes over the past 2-3 months have been catered more towards bad players to make them enjoy the game more.  And I get why this is happening, 80% of the people who play this game suck, so it's better to cater to that population than the players who are actually good at the game.

Yeah I disagree. C4 levels the playing field, even the top end players use it a lot. You can’t twist almost anything into “it’s for the bad players”. I mean you were arguing double pump took skill before and it’s incredibly easy to do.

C4 isn’t any better at taking down build than an RPG but no one says they put in RPGs to benefit the average player. 

8 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yeah I disagree. C4 levels the playing field, even the top end players use it a lot. You can’t twist almost anything into “it’s for the bad players”. I mean you were arguing double pump took skill before and it’s incredibly easy to do.

C4 isn’t any better at taking down build than an RPG but no one says they put in RPGs to benefit the average player. 

You can disagree.  And top end players don't use it for this purpose, though.  Also, most top end players use the same build/setup.  Shotgun, smg/tommy, AR, shields.  There really is no room for most of them to carry a C4.  They don't use that anywhere near as much as a bad player does.    It is for bad players, though.  It's so that a vastly superior player cannot build.  This causes less build fights, which is good for bad players.  And yes, C4 is much better at taking down structures than a RPG is, are you kidding me?  

There is nothing in this game that does more explosive damage than a C4, it's not even close.  One C4 is MUCH more powerful than one rocket from a RPG.

Double pump isn't easy to do.  You said that you couldn't even do it on console and you were convinced of that until I showed you a video.  In fact, the majority of people on console cannot even aim that well. 

1 hour ago, showtime said:

You can disagree.  And top end players don't use it for this purpose, though.  Also, most top end players use the same build/setup.  Shotgun, smg/tommy, AR, shields.  There really is no room for most of them to carry a C4.  They don't use that anywhere near as much as a bad player does.    It is for bad players, though.  It's so that a vastly superior player cannot build.  This causes less build fights, which is good for bad players.  And yes, C4 is much better at taking down structures than a RPG is, are you kidding me?  

There is nothing in this game that does more explosive damage than a C4, it's not even close.  One C4 is MUCH more powerful than one rocket from a RPG.

Double pump isn't easy to do.  You said that you couldn't even do it on console and you were convinced of that until I showed you a video.  In fact, the majority of people on console cannot even aim that well. 

I feel like I’ve explained this to you 3 other times but I’ll give it another go. They took out double pump, I didn’t realize it was back because really the difference isn’t that substantial. It’s very easy to double pump, being a crap shot doesn’t mean you can’t double pump. 

One RPG takes down a 1x1 if you don’t miss completely so yes it is as useful as C4 in that regard. Most people either ramp up or build up from a 1x1 so it’s essentially the same thing. Like I said, very easy to come up with an argument for every change made that’s it’s to “appease worse players”. That doesn’t mean it’s true.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

I never build much anymore. On console it just takes too much time that you can just use better shooting accurately and anticipating the other persons' movement/build

I'm not sure c4 is even useful for bad players. It's kind of pointless until end game scenario or 1x1 when someone is dug in. At that point c4, RPG, grenade launcher all do the same. Just to a varied degree.

1 minute ago, The Orca said:

I'm not sure c4 is even useful for bad players

Can confirm. If I'm top 5 and I blow up someone's build they just kill me anyway xD only situation in which it helps me is if they built so high that they take fall damage. But even then good players usually build wide enough that they'll have something to build off of as they fall.

• Like 2