~*~*~ BlaZeN37’s 2018 Jets Mock Off-Season V.2 ~*~*~

BlaZeN37

Please note that this is what I’d do if I were the GM, not what I expect to happen (while trying to remain as realistic as possible). Without further ado...

Starting Cap Room - $74.58M

CUTS

Matt Forte ($3M in Savings)

James Carpenter ($4.7M in Savings)

Ben Ijalana ($4.75M in Savings)

Buster Skrine ($6M in Savings)

Mo Wilkerson ($17M in Savings; Post-June Cut)

Current Cap Room - $110.03M

RE-SIGNINGS & RFA TENDERS 

Demario Davis - 2 years; $15M; $9M Guaranteed ($7M First Year Cap Hit)

Kony Ealy - 2 years; $10M; $6.5M Guaranteed ($5M First Year Cap Hit)

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - 2 years; $10M; $6.5M Guaranteed ($5M First Year Cap Hit)

Chandler Cantanzaro - 2 years; $3.5M; $2M Guaranteed ($1.5M First Year Cap Hit)

Quincy Enunwa [RFA] - 2nd Round Tender ($2.75M First Year Cap Hit)

Top 53 Min. Contracts: Julian Stanford, Terrance Brooks, Doug Middleton, David Bass, Dakota Dozier, Eric Tomlinson, Lucky Whitehead, Deon Simon 

Current Cap Room - $88.78M

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS 

QB Kirk Cousins - 5 years; $150M; $100M Guaranteed ($32M Cap Hit)

OG Justin Pugh - 4 years; $42M; $21M Guaranteed ($9M Cap Hit)

CB Aaron Colvin - 4 years; $35M; $19M Guaranteed ($9M Cap Hit)

C Ryan Jensen - 3 years; $27M; $16M Guaranteed ($8M Cap Hit)

CB Kyle Fuller - 3 years; $24M; 14.5M Guaranteed ($7M Cap Hit) 

WR Terrelle Pryor - 1 year; $5.5M Guaranteed ($5.5M Cap Hit)

EDGE Jerry Attaochu - 1 year; $2.5M Guaranteed ($2.5M Cap Hit) 

Final Cap Room$17.28M

THE DRAFT 

*{NYJ trade the 6th overall pick to Arizona for the 15th overall pick and 47th overall pick}*

(1) 15th Pick - Josh Jackson; CB; Iowa

(2) 37th Pick - Ronald Jones II; RB; USC

(2) 47th Pick - Martinas Rankin; OT; Mississippi State

(2) 49th Pick - Kemoko Turay; EDGE; Rutgers 

(3) 72nd Pick - Deon Caine; WR; Clemson

(4) 103rd Pick - Duke Dawson; CB; Florida 

(5) 148th Pick - Dalton Schultz; TE; Stanford

(6) 165th Pick - Dimitri Flowers; FB; Oklahoma 

DEPTH CHART

QB - Kirk Cousins/Bryce Petty/Christian Hackenberg

RB - Ronald Jones II/Bilal Powell/Elijah McGuire 

FB - Dimitri Flowers

WR - Terrelle Pryor/Robby Anderson/Jermaine Kearse/Chad Hansen/Deon Caine

Slot WR - Quincy Enunwa/ArDarius Stewart/Jalin Marshall/Lucky Whitehead

TE - ASJ/Jordan Leggett/Dalton Schultz/Eric Tomlinson 

OT - Kelvin Beachum/Brandon Shell/Martinas Rankin/Brent Qvale 

OG - Justin Pugh/Brian Winters/Dakota Dozier/Jonotthan Harrison

C - Ryan Jensen/Wesley Johnson

DE - Leonard Williams/Kony Ealy/Mike Pennel/Xavier Cooper

DT - Steve McClendon/Deon Simon

EDGE - Kemoko Turay/Jerry Attaochu/Dylan Donahue/Lorenzo Mauldin

SOLB - Jordan Jenkins/Josh Martin/David Bass

ILB - Demario Davis/Darren Lee/Julian Stanford/Bruce Carter

CB - Josh Jackson/Kyle Fuller/Darryl Roberts/Rashard Robinson/Jeremy Clark/Derrick Jones 

Nickel - Aaron Colvin/Duke Dawson

S - Jamal Adams/Marcus Maye/Rontez Miles/Terrance Brooks/Doug Middleton 

K - Chandler Cantanzaro

P - Lachlan Edwards

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I like this, but 12 mil for Leveon?  Give me a guy in the draft

exactly. i want chubb so bad. hell i want both chubbs. omg if we got both chubbs i think i would get a chubb. y'all can quote me on that in april haha.

Just now, ekill08x said:

exactly. i want chubb so bad. hell i want both chubbs. omg if we got both chubbs i think i would get a chubb. y'all can quote me on that in april haha.

Random Fact: Bradley and Nick Chubb are cousins.

Always appreciate people who make the effort. Would this be great on paper? Sure. That said, it's not smart business... look at where the Giants are after their historic 2016 Free Agency.

Despite how great our cash situation is, there is absolutely no way ownership would sign off on spending $200 million guaranteed in one offseason. It doesn't make sense... 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Always appreciate people who make the effort. Would this be great on paper? Sure. That said, it's not smart business... look at where the Giants are after their historic 2016 Free Agency.

Despite how great our cash situation is, there is absolutely no way ownership would sign off on spending $200 million guaranteed in one offseason. It doesn't make sense... 

Completely understand where you are coming from, and while I agree ownership probably wouldn’t sign off, I don’t agree that it’s bad business. With the increase in cap room, free agency has become a legitimate team building tool. Beyond that, the Jets literally have to spend that kind of money this season or else they will be forced to next year. What better way to spend the money than on two elite offensive skill positions in their prime. I definitely recommend reading these two articles...

https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/9/16867564/playoffs-salary-cap-free-agent-spending-jaguars-eagles-patriots

www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2017/11/16/16664906/ny-jets-the-cheapest-team-in-the-nfl

You mentioned the Giants, but how about the success of the Jaguars spending spree on one side of the ball? My thought process behind this free agency mock is to transform the offense into a top 10 unit while potentially being able to add three top 50 picks to the already young and growing defense.

Cousins and Bell’s contracts are glorified 3 year deals while Jensen, Fuller, and Burton’s would only be glorified 2 year deals. As the first article above hits on, its near impossible to get into cap trouble like the Jets did in 2011.

Love any mock with us getting Cousins and Jensen. 

I’m firmly in the boat of just one of Cousins or Bell not both. Obviously with Cousins being the QB he is without doubt the priority.

The only thing I would say is that even before all the draft capital we have as well (should add some top players) I can guarantee this board would be bouncing come September. 

I didn’t have a profile here for the 09 & 10 seasons with Rex but I can’t ever remember feeling the optimism and anticipation leading into a season like this mock would have us feel so **** it why not ?? 

I think it would be incredibly dumb to give Cousins all that cash, but even worse would be to do so and also cut Jermaine Kearse. The latter move makes zero sense to me. Kearse is productive, comes from a winning program, and is still young enough to contribute moving forward. What exactly merits getting cut?

That a lot of money being thrown out for 2 players in Cousins and Bell. Trust me I’d like everyone love to see either of them on this team never mind both. But I don’t see it happening. Macc is very careful with his contracts, I can see him shelling out 1 big contract, but probably not 2. But you never know. It’s hard to not like it in paper though.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

That a lot of money being thrown out for 2 players in Cousins and Bell. Trust me I’d like everyone love to see either of them on this team never mind both. But I don’t see it happening. Macc is very careful with his contracts, I can see him shelling out 1 big contract, but probably not 2. But you never know. It’s hard to not like it in paper though.

Except when it came to giving Winters and the other scrub OL their contracts. If we want Cousins, its going to be pricey, but why not? It FINALLY solidifies a position that we have literally never had solidified. I love Baker Mayfield in this draft but there is not a single QB that can be considered a sure thing, just happens to be a lot of them that COULD be good. Our first goal still should be to solidify the position with someone proven.

Bell just isnt smart anyway you look at it. I'll take cheap labor at a position that you can find talent literally anywhere in the draft. 10 mil for RB is just crazy.

@jetskid007 while I agree with you on the guaranteed money, I except them to spend a lot. Macs job is on the line as is Bowles' and ownership knows they need to make the playoffs next year. Giants are a bad example because they were truly awesome in 16 especially on D where they spent the most. This year...no offensive line help, OBJ down in week 5 same for Marshall, and they dealt with a ton of drama. The majority of the playoff teams this year spent the most in FA. I expect them to be the most active they've ever been. Doesn't mean giving out crazy contracts, but I expect a lot of decent players coming in. I am excited to see this roster going into camp. Its now or never for Mac and Bowles...no excuses they say, well lets see it. 

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Except when it came to giving Winters and the other scrub OL their contracts. If we want Cousins, its going to be pricey, but why not? It FINALLY solidifies a position that we have literally never had solidified. I love Baker Mayfield in this draft but there is not a single QB that can be considered a sure thing, just happens to be a lot of them that COULD be good. Our first goal still should be to solidify the position with someone proven.

Bell just isnt smart anyway you look at it. I'll take cheap labor at a position that you can find talent literally anywhere in the draft. 10 mil for RB is just crazy.

@jetskid007 while I agree with you on the guaranteed money, I except them to spend a lot. Macs job is on the line as is Bowles' and ownership knows they need to make the playoffs next year. Giants are a bad example because they were truly awesome in 16 especially on D where they spent the most. This year...no offensive line help, OBJ down in week 5 same for Marshall, and they dealt with a ton of drama. The majority of the playoff teams this year spent the most in FA. I expect them to be the most active they've ever been. Doesn't mean giving out crazy contracts, but I expect a lot of decent players coming in. I am excited to see this roster going into camp. Its now or never for Mac and Bowles...no excuses they say, well lets see it. 

I wasn't a big fan of those contracts either. But they were far from "big" contracts. I'm talking contracts like what we gave Wilkerson and have given Revis... contracts like that. Bc that's what it will take to get Cousins and/or Bell. Break the bank highest paid among their position contracts. Winters is 16th highest paid OG and Beachum the 19th highest paid OT.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I wasn't a big fan of those contracts either. But they were far from "big" contracts. I'm talking contracts like what we gave Wilkerson and have given Revis... contracts like that. Bc that's what it will take to get Cousins and/or Bell. Break the bank highest paid among their position contracts. Winters is 16th highest paid OG and Beachum the 19th highest paid OT.

I would be more inclined to do it for cousins than bell, even though cousins will get 3 times as much. I just think we have to be the team that pays for the QB since we literally have no idea how to develop or, or how to hire anyone that can. Nope just pay for the sure thing and see if you can build a better defense and supporting cast than he had in Washington. Worth a shot at this point. I do like that the team seems awfully motivated going into next season. God I just hope we dont mess up this offseason.

Archived