~*~*~ BlaZeN37’s 2018 Jets Mock Off-Season V.2 ~*~*~

BlaZeN37

6 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I would be more inclined to do it for cousins than bell, even though cousins will get 3 times as much. I just think we have to be the team that pays for the QB since we literally have no idea how to develop or, or how to hire anyone that can. Nope just pay for the sure thing and see if you can build a better defense and supporting cast than he had in Washington. Worth a shot at this point. I do like that the team seems awfully motivated going into next season. God I just hope we dont mess up this offseason.

I agree. It’s alot easier to find a good RB than it is to find a franchise QB too. 

On 1/11/2018 at 6:57 PM, ekill08x said:

Except when it came to giving Winters and the other scrub OL their contracts. If we want Cousins, its going to be pricey, but why not? It FINALLY solidifies a position that we have literally never had solidified. I love Baker Mayfield in this draft but there is not a single QB that can be considered a sure thing, just happens to be a lot of them that COULD be good. Our first goal still should be to solidify the position with someone proven.

Bell just isnt smart anyway you look at it. I'll take cheap labor at a position that you can find talent literally anywhere in the draft. 10 mil for RB is just crazy.

@jetskid007 while I agree with you on the guaranteed money, I except them to spend a lot. Macs job is on the line as is Bowles' and ownership knows they need to make the playoffs next year. Giants are a bad example because they were truly awesome in 16 especially on D where they spent the most. This year...no offensive line help, OBJ down in week 5 same for Marshall, and they dealt with a ton of drama. The majority of the playoff teams this year spent the most in FA. I expect them to be the most active they've ever been. Doesn't mean giving out crazy contracts, but I expect a lot of decent players coming in. I am excited to see this roster going into camp. Its now or never for Mac and Bowles...no excuses they say, well lets see it. 

What I meant by the "not good business" comment is to shell out that much guaranteed money. I fully expect us to be big spenders, but I think we'll sign some "calculated risks" to glorified 1-2 year deals where the first year is a reasonable guaranteed salary (like we saw in the Skrine and Carpenter contracts) and the following years are larger, non-guaranteed salaries. 

I do think we'll sign 1-2 young players to "big" contracts in free agency. Many will scratch their heads, but in reality they will be a glorified 2 year deals. Kyle Fuller, Brashaud Breeland, Jerick McKinnon, Alex Okafor, Trent Murphy are some guys to keep an eye out for. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 1:45 PM, BlaZeN37 said:

Please note that this is what I’d do if I were the GM, not what I expect to happen (while trying to remain as realistic as possible). Without further ado...

Starting Cap Room - $74.58M

CUTS

Matt Forte ($3M in Savings)

James Carpenter ($4.7M in Savings)

Ben Ijalana ($4.75M in Savings)

Buster Skrine ($6M in Savings)

Mo Wilkerson ($17M in Savings; Post-June Cut)

Current Cap Room - $110.03M

RE-SIGNINGS & RFA TENDERS 

Demario Davis - 2 years; $15M; $9M Guaranteed ($7M First Year Cap Hit)

Kony Ealy - 2 years; $10M; $6.5M Guaranteed ($5M First Year Cap Hit)

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - 2 years; $10M; $6.5M Guaranteed ($5M First Year Cap Hit)

Chandler Cantanzaro - 2 years; $3.5M; $2M Guaranteed ($1.5M First Year Cap Hit)

Quincy Enunwa [RFA] - 2nd Round Tender ($2.75M First Year Cap Hit)

Top 53 Min. Contracts: Julian Stanford, Terrance Brooks, Doug Middleton, David Bass, Dakota Dozier, Eric Tomlinson, Lucky Whitehead, Deon Simon 

Current Cap Room - $88.78M

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS 

QB Kirk Cousins - 5 years; $150M; $100M Guaranteed ($32M Cap Hit)

OG Justin Pugh - 4 years; $42M; $21M Guaranteed ($9M Cap Hit)

CB Aaron Colvin - 4 years; $35M; $19M Guaranteed ($9M Cap Hit)

C Ryan Jensen - 3 years; $27M; $16M Guaranteed ($8M Cap Hit)

CB Kyle Fuller - 3 years; $24M; 14.5M Guaranteed ($7M Cap Hit) 

WR Terrelle Pryor - 1 year; $5.5M Guaranteed ($5.5M Cap Hit)

EDGE Jerry Attaochu - 1 year; $2.5M Guaranteed ($2.5M Cap Hit)

Final Cap Room$17.28M

THE DRAFT 

*{NYJ trade the 6th overall pick to Arizona for the 15th overall pick and 47th overall pick}*

(1) 15th Pick - Josh Jackson; CB; Iowa

(2) 37th Pick - Ronald Jones III; RB; USC

(2) 47th Pick - Martinas Rankin; OT; Mississippi State

(2) 49th Pick - Kemoko Turay; EDGE; Rutgers 

(3) 72nd Pick - Deon Caine; WR; Clemson

(4) 103rd Pick - Duke Dawson; CB; Florida 

(5) 148th Pick - Dalton Schultz; TE; Stanford

(6) 165th Pick - Dimitri Flowers; FB; Oklahoma 

DEPTH CHART

QB - Kirk Cousins/Bryce Petty/Christian Hackenberg

RB - Ronald Jones III/Bilal Powell/Elijah McGuire 

FB - Dimitri Flowers

WR - Terrelle Pryor/Robby Anderson/Jermaine Kearse/Chad Hansen/Deon Caine

Slot WR - Quincy Enunwa/ArDarius Stewart/Jalin Marshall/Lucky Whitehead 

TE - ASJ/Jordan Leggett/Dalton Schultz/Eric Tomlinson 

OT - Kelvin Beachum/Brandon Shell/Martinas Rankin/Brent Qvale 

OG - Justin Pugh/Brian Winters/Dakota Dozier/Jonotthan Harrison

C - Ryan Jensen/Wesley Johnson

DE - Leonard Williams/Kony Ealy/Mike Pennel/Xavier Cooper

DT - Steve McClendon/Deon Simons 

EDGE - Kemoko Turay/Jerry Attaochu/Dylan Donahue/Lorenzo Mauldin 

SOLB - Jordan Jenkins/Josh Martin/David Bass

ILB - Demario Davis/Darren Lee/Julian Stanford/Bruce Carter

CB - Josh Jackson/Kyle Fuller/Darryl Roberts/Rashard Robinson/Jeremy Clark/Derrick Jones 

Nickel - Aaron Colvin/Duke Dawson

S - Jamal Adams/Marcus Maye/Rontez Miles/Terrance Brooks/Doug Middleton 

K - Chandler Cantanzaro

P - Lachlan Edwards

Made a few changes and added the draft. 

This would be a really good offseason. I'm surprised we can fit all those FA's under the cap. But the math works. 

Not too familiar with all the draft picks, except the first two. Those two would be great pickups. Got 4 new CB's. Goes to show how weak we are at that position. I like that you not only addressed outside corner but also the nickel spot. I need to check out Turay. Seems to be coming up a lot around here lately.

Now to the more meaningful feedback... I think it's Jones II and not Jones III. 

This is a very solid mock. I’m personally not big on signing Leveon for the money he’s asking but he for sure wouldn’t hurt our offense. I think we need to address the OLB position more then you did in your mock. It’s a huge weakness on our team and depending on a 2nd rounder to change that could backfire. 

47 minutes ago, Cory Longville said:

This is a very solid mock. I’m personally not big on signing Leveon for the money he’s asking but he for sure wouldn’t hurt our offense. I think we need to address the OLB position more then you did in your mock. It’s a huge weakness on our team and depending on a 2nd rounder to change that could backfire. 

I agree that an edge rusher would be the Jets biggest need if they solve the QB position, but it’s also an incredibly hard position to fill. Demarcus Lawrence will be franchised and Bradley Chubb will more than likely be taken before 6. Outside of reaching for a Davenport or Landry in the 1st or over paying Ezikial Ansah, using a 2nd on a developmental edge is probably the best the Jets can do.

Nice job.  I am not huge on Cousins but I would not cry if we got him.  Like the OL FA signings.  Love the Jackson pick if we sign Cousins. 

One big question I have though... Why Pryor?  Him and Cousins did not click on DC not sure if they will click here.  I like him but not if we have Cousins. 

29 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

One big question I have though... Why Pryor?  Him and Cousins did not click on DC not sure if they will click here.  I like him but not if we have Cousins. 

When I watched Pryor in 2016 I didn’t see a fluke, I saw a physical specimen that in a short period of time had already learned how to leverage his size to get open. In Washington he was hampered and eventually shut down due to an ankle injury before he was able to develop chemistry with Cousins. From everything I’ve read it never seemed like they ever had any actual issues, it just didn’t click right off the bat. The Jets could really use a red zone weapon and Pryor would be low risk high reward on a one year prove it deal. 

19 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Nice work, but still think it's incredibly unrealistic

Appreciate the feedback. Could you elaborate a little? Which parts do you feel are the most unrealistic? 

I do agree that the FA class is a bit of a pipe dream, but it would work financially. The contracts I gave should be pretty close to what they get. Getting all of them is probably the most unrealistic part. It all starts with Cousins though, getting him makes the Jets a more attractive spot.

1 minute ago, BlaZeN37 said:

When I watched Pryor in 2016 I didn’t see a fluke, I saw a physical specimen that in a short period time had already learned how to leverage his size to get open. In Washington he was hampered and eventually shut down due to an ankle injury before he was able to develop chemistry with Cousins. From everything I’ve read it never seemed like they ever had any actual issues, it just didn’t click right off the bat. The Jets could really use a red zone weapon and Pryor would be low risk high reward on a one year prove it deal. 

I agree with Pryor having upside .... just concerned with the him and Cousins chemistry or lack there of.  Perhaps they would click with more work but I am skeptical personally.  I just would not couple them but think in this mock they would run that by Kirk first. Thanks. 

Archived