Which Bears Should Be Released

WindyCity

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That's like a third of the roster. Seems a bit much. I also don't understand why everyone is giving up on Demps. His injury wasn't career ending, was it? O.o

A new coaching staff...a talent deficient roster and cap space means letting than many people walk is justified...

Demps we terrible before the injury and you don't keep guys his age around to play special teams because he isn't beating out Jackson or Amos.

I would cut Glennon, Long (yeah I said it), McPhee and Demps for starters.  Long is a great dude and great player, but Bears have managed his body into the ground by playing him hurt multiple seasons in meaningless games.  He likely won't be healthy again ever.   I am willing to make Belichick hard roster decisions though.  Bears typically don't and their fans don't usually want them to for some reason.  

I'd resign Sanchez, Meredith, Amukamara, Inman and Compton.  I don't think I would resign Fuller.  I don't trust his work ethic in a non contract year.  But if Fangio wanted him I would.  Someone will probably over pay him so I would just let him go.  

I'd sign Redskins T. Pryor to a cheap 2-3 year deal since he is coming off a very disappointing free agent season.  Still think he has good potential and love his athleticism.  Be shocked if Bears didn't go WR in first or second round.  Hopefully, they can trade down if they are targeting a WR as 8 seems a little rich for the prospects and seems to be a log jam of them in 2nd and 3rd. I wouldn't be surprised if Bears took 2 WR's in draft hoping there is strength in numbers.  

WR of Early Pick(s), Meredith, Inman, Pryor and maybe consider bringing back Kendall Wright who had some decent games.  I still think Gentry has potential to be a #3 or better in this league with development and a coach who believes in him.  Maybe White gets reborn with new coaching staff.  That or he gets cut.  Still not great on paper, but improving and has top athletic potential.  

Bears should go after a good free agent OT and OG there are some available.  Especially OT.  They have the space and its a FA position of strength.  

Make Detroit pay big for Ansah.  Put an offer out there to screw a rival and he is a good player in his prime.  Doesn't ideally fit 3-4, but he can IMO because he is big for 4-3 end.   He either comes to you or they have to pay or franchise. Ansah and Hicks on DL would give some teams some headaches.  

You need to find a good OLB.  Gone from depth strength to weakness in a hurry.

2 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Grasu isn't getting cut.  He fits a ZBS fairly well and you can bet the fact that he's an oregon alum is going to make Helfrich pound the table for him to stay on the roster, even as a backup.  Hell, if we cut Sitton it wouldn't surprise me to see Whitehair move to guard in camp to see if Grasu has what it takes anymore, although I think most of us fans know he's a backup at best.

He is terrible.

They did everything in their power not to play him late in the year.

There is nothing to work with there.

There are a few guys here who should only be moved on from when the timing is right.

Grasu/Sitton - these guys shouldn’t be moved until the Bears are sure they have a second guy who can step in at center in an emergency. Maybe that’s Kush, maybe that’s a new add.

Sims - obviously Shaheen is the guy who we want to move into a TE1 role. But with Miller likely done, that nothing but leaves UDFA talent on the TE depth chart. Sims underwhelmed, but at least he has a meaningful amount of NFL reps.

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That's like a third of the roster. Seems a bit much. I also don't understand why everyone is giving up on Demps. His injury wasn't career ending, was it? O.o

Now that Thompson isn't controlling things any more, they just might. 

His play on the field looked career ending.

Love the tool, been using on my mocks for a while. 

Cuts

Cooper

Glennon

McPhee

Wheaton

Grasu 

Sims

Young

Bellamy (right before he becomes an UFA  lol)

I'd keep Demps if he was a leader for the young guys, if he wasn't then he'd be gone

Keeping Freeman if I believe he is committed. Too talented to toss aside for the like of Jones. Maybe let Nick rotate in more to see if he can be the long term replacement. 

I'd re-sign Fuller (at least franchise him) and offer a deal for Amukamara.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Make Detroit pay big for Ansah.  Put an offer out there to screw a rival and he is a good player in his prime.  Doesn't ideally fit 3-4, but he can IMO because he is big for 4-3 end.   He either comes to you or they have to pay or franchise. Ansah and Hicks on DL would give some teams some headaches.  

You need to find a good OLB.  Gone from depth strength to weakness in a hurry.

McPhee doesn't fit the typical 34 OLB prototype, and Ansah is FAR better of an athlete. 

Plus remember that we are in nickel almost half of our snaps, so he can still put his hand down and hunt the QB. So his change wouldn't be that big of a deal, as he isn't expected to cover TEs or anything. 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

A new coaching staff...a talent deficient roster and cap space means letting than many people walk is justified...

Demps we terrible before the injury and you don't keep guys his age around to play special teams because he isn't beating out Jackson or Amos.

Agree with the logic but we’re also talking about like 3 games, and there is zero depth behind him. We started Chris Prosinski off the street for, what, 3 games? If we let Demps go I’d want to find a comparable vet backup with similar experience at both safety spots. Guessing there aren’t a ton of those guys. 

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I think you link Cousins to any team with a QB opening.  IMO Redskins would be very very dumb to not re-sign him.

I think you have another Alshon Jeffery’s situation. I think cousins will go through the motions say the right things about the redskins but in reality has no intention of signing with a team that said he wasn’t good enough twice 

36 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

I think you have another Alshon Jeffery’s situation. I think cousins will go through the motions say the right things about the redskins but in reality has no intention of signing with a team that said he wasn’t good enough twice 

He turned down a $100+ million offer IIRC. Clearly he wants out. 

I'd franchise him and trade him to the highest bidder. Nothing against Cousins, but the best they get otherqise is a conditional 3rd at best if he just walks after another franchising.  Then he is their problem if he is still hellbent on leaving for one of his choice teams. 

27 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'd franchise him and trade him to the highest bidder. 

It's been pointed out to me, and I'm pretty sure it's right, that the CBA doesn't allow that. Trading off of a third tag.

Also, as I said earlier, Cousins was quoted recently as saying he'd wait until March to sign a new deal with the Redskins. Which is the best news the Redskins have had on that front for a while. 

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

He turned down a $100+ million offer IIRC. Clearly he wants out. 

I'd franchise him and trade him to the highest bidder. Nothing against Cousins, but the best they get otherqise is a conditional 3rd at best if he just walks after another franchising.  Then he is their problem if he is still hellbent on leaving for one of his choice teams. 

He has ALL the leverage. Especially now that the season is over and he got through healthy. Someone will make him the top paid QB in history next year, or WSH will give him like $35M just next year on the tag and over $60M over 2 seasons between 2017-18. He’s played this perfectly. WSH screwed themselves here. 

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He has ALL the leverage. Especially now that the season is over and he got through healthy. Someone will make him the top paid QB in history next year, or WSH will give him like $35M just next year on the tag and over $60M over 2 seasons between 2017-18. He’s played this perfectly. WSH screwed themselves here. 

That was my argument when in the general forum. Everyone kept saying he was stuck there, but I don't see it that way. He will have to sign franchise tags to get paid, but can deny any long term deal.

If they do a regular franchise, he can get paid the $35 mil, or if they use the transition tag he can make $28 mil or someone else makes a better deal, then WAS has to match it. He still does not have to sign any of their deal though unless I am mistaken. Say 3 long term deals are offered but Cousins wants to stay away, as WAS might match and force him to stay there for a 6 year term, he can still sign the 1 year tender I thought.

If Jacksonville really thinks they are a QB away from winning it all, I'd go all in. Cut Bortles and your cap is now $45ish mil. There is no dead cap and he is not consistent enough to even get a Flacco-like lucky run. Cut Ivory and draft a RB and you're at $48 mil. Make a monster offer, something like 1 year $40 mil. Cousins will sign it, and WAS is SOL. Either they lose and have all that allocated to a guy who wants to be there or he walks. Plus, look at the cap amount that will be owed in 2019 if they try to franchise him again. If WAS signs the major offer, Jacksonville can just sign Taylor to a big one year deal as a holdover or offer that to Eli or Smith if they are let loose. A vet QB will want a shot at winning it in JAX, even if it is a year or two deal.

All it takes is one team with a set of balls, and Cousins is theirs, this year or the next.

Archived