kurgan's mock 2018 draft-- 1.0 (two versions)

kurgan

Ok... so I wanted to do this in two ways... one with the status quo and then one with a Ben retiring ala Bettis after he wins the SB.

Status Quo:

1) Rashaan Evans, ILB Alabama   6'3"  231

I think that UGA stud Roquan Smith will be gone and Evans will be here when we pick.  Hyper athletic, big hitter, defensive leader.  Not fair to say he is replacement for Shazier, but is very similar as a player.

2) DeShon Elliott, FS Texas  6'2" 210

Big centerfielder that patrols the deep safety in the pass-happy Big 12.  Sat out the bowl game.  Thorpe winner and national leader in picks, but also can come up and bring the wood when needs be.  Can take over for Mitchell when he gets the boot after the season.

3) Lorenzo Carter, OLB Georgia  6'6" 242

My UGA homer pick!!  But, a need that can turn the tide in the Bud Dupree issue.  A top 5 high school senior coming out, 5 star, 4 year player.  Monster pass rusher, leader.  Can be taken out of the game by elite tackles, but always makes plays.  Also a factor on special teams on kick block, kick return and kick coverage.

5 (SF)  Chris Herndon, TE Miami (FL)  6'4" 252

Actually got more snaps than Njoku two years ago.  The more steady and versatile guy.  Above average blocker, great route runner, can get separation at the top of routes.  Sneaky good in red zone.  With McDonald maybe gone next year, could push Grimble as the developmental guy.

5)  Bentley Spain, OT/OG  North Carolina  6'6" 300

Old Mother Hubbard will take the money and run, so we need a developmental swing OT/OG.  Kid is strong, already good as a blocker, and has played all 5 spots.  Has nice feet and can run and seal.

7)  Ralph Webb, RB Vanderbilt  5'10 202

Flyer pick to push Fitz/Watson.  Runs a bit like Bell with a shiftiness wiggle, but behind a garbage OL.  Also a factor on special teams with return ability.

Ben rides out on top after SB win:

1)  Josh Allen, QB  Wyoming  6'5" 222

Ok, so Ben is gone and this is really the only QB that I like thus far that I think will be here.  I like Rudolph but I am not sure if this is too soon or what.  Also like Falk.  I will pass on Jackson and Mayfield.  So, this kid is raw as hell, needs mechanics fixed, and has some issues with level of comp.  I like his swagger, size and arm.  I am not sure how it would work with Jones as a bridge to Allen/Dobbs, but seems good to me.

2)  Hayden Hurst, TE  South Carolina 6'5" 250

While getting a new QB, may as well get a new best friend for the man.  In this scenario, the Steelers will spend Ben's money on getting a FS and ILB to shore up the D, and rebuild the O.  So, Hurst can be taken here as the new future TE.  Will be 25, but has a lot of good years left.  Big, tough and athletic as hell.  Plus, played for the Pirates in the minor leagues, so there is already a connection.

3)  Nick Deluca, ILB  North Dakota State  6'3" 245

Whatever stopgap will be bought next year, Deluca can take over after that.  Straight up plugger.  Tackle machine.  Not sure about coverage abilities, but would be the straight up gap blaster.

5 (SF)  Davin Bellamy, OLB  Georgia  6'5" 240

Gotta get my homer pick!!!  Maybe a better NFL prospect than Carter, is way more defensively versatile.  Can play some DE, even a bit at ILB in packages.  Better run stuffer than pass rusher, but is good at everything.

5) Jamari Summers, FS/CB  UConn  6' 190

Younger, faster Wille Gay.  Can play on a man, or over top.  Not the fastest, but can come up and system sound.  Not a long term FS prospect, but a tool to use in the coverage system we have, and maybe someone to look at as a TE eraser.

7)  Martez Ivey, OT/OG Florida  6'5" 300

Top 10 recruit coming out of high school, got screwed in college.  Committed to Muschamp, lived through the McElwain debacle, and never had a real OL coach.  Thrust into starting as a true freshman, just never developed.  As the tools and desire to be a real pro, can be a project player.  Probably best as a OG, but can play OT and has snapped.

Evans could be a decent "replacement" for Shaz but I'm wondering if the Steelers will shy away from drafting a ILB in the 1st Rd out of respect for Shazier. I know that sounds crazy. Not exactly the smartest move strategically. A team needs to take the BPA that helps them succeed but waiting a round or 2 before trying to replace him this year seems Steelers-esque. 

I've been toying around with this idea and I figured I'd bring it out and let you guys hear it.

I don't think there's any realistic way to replace Shazier with a similar impact player so I propose not trying. We could draft a Evans type ILB and play him next to Vince and bolster our run defense. SInce we have a 1-gapping d-line this would maybe make sense. This entire thing hinges on our ability to get a CF type of FS, though. We need someone who can cover our butts on the back end. We have ridiculously athletic OLB's that can be our new "rover" guys. This might also allow some more disguising. What does everyone think?

Sorry to hijack your mock drafts @kurgan

Thanks for the feedback, guys...

I spent way more time on #1 than on #2.  That was a harder one, beacause I didn't really like any of the guys there.  I am not an Allen fan. 

@3rivers I see it that way, yea.  I mean, we have to make a decision on Dupree soon.  We have to decide if we are going to pay him in year 5.  I could see Carter taking his spot.  Also, I missed the Bell post before I posted it.

@Chieferific I see what you are saying.  I am not sure that they are willing to hamstring the franchise if the right guy is there, but that is a real Steelers thing to do.

@MOSteelers56 I actually tried to draft it that way.  I am not a Mitchell fan, and it would make me sick to pay him $5 m next year, so we have to replace him anyway.  I just cant, at this point, project a FS to us at the end of the 1st.  The gap is from Fitzpatrick who will be way gone, to Eliot, who is a  second rounder.  Things may change, but for now, I see the needs as FS and ILB and there are several ILBs that are good enough to be there when we pick.  The FS market is down.  Now, maybe things will change, but I like what you are thinking.

Eric Reid is UFA, but SS. Do you sign him ,let NKM walked move existing  players to SS?  Maybe get Hilton on the field al the time at Safety.  Right now the secondary could improve, how to do it though is going to take time to put together. Even Run has his moments, but not playing like RD1 CB  but better than dupree and the clock is ticking for dupree as a starter if the D wants to keep getting better. Maybe the team is complacent with the D, wait and see. 

With the emergence of JuJU, and James being solid old school TE, will they try to draft a Kelce type TE? It would be a threat to defences, and could be a great pick if the player is not able to be covered by LB's. How do we try to stop  Gronk for example>:(

These playoffs will reveal team needs as we are playing the better teams and possibly the teams we would have to play in future years in the playoffs.  

OG and especially C don't get drafted as early as other positions , so this is a good year to draft OL , RB and maybe edge but I doubt they give up on dupree this year. 

As usual the offseason will have much activity. I don't expect Shazier back and for his sake he better decide that there is life after football. No way should he play again , has a player ever (first)  healed and  got out of a wheelchair injury, then to play again? I can't remember,  and lets hope he regains health.  What a tragic injury, it's been a few years since something like this has taken place. 

Archived