Le'Veon Bell Contemplating Retirement

RuskieTitan

1 minute ago, Blitzburgh said:

Bell was offered a deal which averaged $12 million dollars a year, $30 million to be delivered in the first two years, and $42 million over the first three years, and the deal was reportedly for 5-years.

It’s not like the Steelers are low balling him or something.  His ego might be getting the best of him.  

But what were the terms. Pretty classic sleez ball move is to offer good money and put a terrible clause in it so its rejected and they can say “we offered him a great deal”. Dk if thats happening here but easily could be.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I honestly think the Steelers let him walk. They've gotten everything out of him that they could. Let someone else pay for the eventual decline in production.

He's 25 and arguably been the best running back in the NFL for years now.  He has amazing vision, great patience and is a tremendous receiver.  I'm sure teams will be lining up to acquire a player like that at his age.

24 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

Bell was offered a deal which averaged $12 million dollars a year, $30 million to be delivered in the first two years, and $42 million over the first three years, and the deal was reportedly for 5-years.

It’s not like the Steelers are low balling him or something.  His ego might be getting the best of him.  

Let him go and see what he gets on the open market. 9_9 The NFLPA really needs to fight the franchise tag when the next CBA negotiations are up.

It's a joke how teams are able to tag players multiple times. Either pay the player what he wants or let him go.

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

O9Z0k.gif

...Although if he got a 4-6 year deal with 15M/year, I'm fairly certain he would sign that.

He feels he's proven, time and again, what his value is, and he's tired of the Steelers yanking him around with 1 year deals.

He was already offered a 5 year deal this last year that would have paid him over 12 mil per. That is 4 mil more per year than the 2nd highest paid rb. It also had over 30 mil in guarantees, and paid him 42 mil over 1st 3 years of the deal. It was good enough for him to agree to it when his agent said to take it, but in the last hour of the day he called his agent to reject it. Steelers haven't been yanking him around on 1 year deals and have offered well above what the leagues market value is. He will get franchised again and probably offered a similar long term deal again. If he wants to retire or decline the deal its all good to do what he feels is right for him. But he is far from a martyr or being done wrong.

58 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Let him go and see what he gets on the open market. 9_9 The NFLPA really needs to fight the franchise tag when the next CBA negotiations are up.

It's a joke how teams are able to tag players multiple times. Either pay the player what he wants or let him go.

Yea I understand them wanting to franchise but i feel like there needs to be some sort of escalation if you are franchised again

15 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea I understand them wanting to franchise but i feel like there needs to be some sort of escalation if you are franchised again

there already is an escalation in pay when you tag someone back to back seasons. This years tag was 12.1 mil and if tagged again it goes up to 14.5 mil.

3 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Well he has a promising rap career waiting for him if $15M/year isn't enough.  

Agree, but he can rap and play, just play for another team. Maybe 6 teams in the league that would seriously consider his deal, and of them, how many are contenders? IN this nfl, RB's just aren't going to get that kind of salary but if he does, then  good for him and wish him well.  If we had the cap space, I am sure they would sign him or try a bit more so. If he tears the league up in the playoffs and gets SB MVP, then he will be playing next year somewhere. If we tag him, can he be traded? How does that all work?

What teams do you think would consider him? Most teams already have their #1 RB, but might as well add to this threadO.o

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

It's mostly posturing, undoubtedly, but a second franchise tag wouldn't be bad for him. He'd double his career earnings in one more season and hit free agency again in his prime, at 26 years. Obviously a longer-term deal with more guaranteed money would be preferable but he'd still make a killing.

The problem really comes down to the RB position and health. They get hit more than anyone and can get career ending injuries just like that (can happen to everyone, but RB's get hit way more). If he get the deal he wants, and plays a few years, he will have much more than taking advice above and these athletes definition of a killing is a bit different than ours isn't it :$.

Also consider the fact he has been injured a few times, and that could also influence his view towards all this. If he never had any injuries nor any nicks etc, maybe he would think he is invincible and have no issues with the franchise and THEN get his new better deal. It could work out for the better, suppose an MVP or 2 hypothetically would raise his deal. 

If this would have been in the 80's or 90's he would get much more than any RB. The market today just isn't RB friendly is it, I mean $15M a year isn't good is it:S

I forgot something rather important . Bell is running behind one of the best OL's maybe in the top 3 and that makes life much nicer for RB's. With his style he should succeed elsewhere, but the OL might not be near as good . The what about the QB and team in general.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

He's 25 and arguably been the best running back in the NFL for years now.  He has amazing vision, great patience and is a tremendous receiver.  I'm sure teams will be lining up to acquire a player like that at his age.

what teams though? Many teams could have cap restraints, and already have their featured back. Someone here broke it down a while back, showing that most teams already have their #1RB , might be ~7 teams that don't   IIRC.

2 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

agree, 1 tag and then that is it. The league /union  need to take care of this. Also remove thursday night games, as everyone agrees they are a waste .

2 hours ago, showtime said:

I've been snakebit by Arian Foster; A talented runner in his mid 20s, got a ton of work early and then just collapsed under the constant usage...

Bell could buck the trend, but... we'll see.

Archived