Le'Veon Bell Contemplating Retirement

RuskieTitan

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Nah. I just don't feel sorry for him and if he retired I just say BYE!

Thats a low brow way of saying “this topic is uninteresting to me” then. 

Bell doesnt give a piglets tail about you saying bye nor are you in position to say bye. But id get a mirror because your jealousy is showing. 

1 minute ago, eagles101 said:

Thats a low brow way of saying “this topic is uninteresting to me” then. 

Bell doesnt give a piglets tail about you saying bye nor are you in position to say bye. But id get a mirror because your jealousy is showing. 

Well if it were me I sure as hell wouldn't be crying about my millions before my team plays in a huge playoff game.

13 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Yea, a team should only be able to use the franchise tag on a player one time. After that, get a deal done or let the guy walk. 

Or just keep increasing the pay for every year they tag. For example if you want to tag someone a second straight year, then the salary is equal to the single highest paid player at that position. If you want to tag a third year, it's 10% more than the highest paid at the position. This will really discourage teams to use it multiple years in a row on the same player.

3 minutes ago, w4rrior723 said:

Or just keep increasing the pay for every year they tag. For example if you want to tag someone a second straight year, then the salary is equal to the single highest paid player at that position. If you want to tag a third year, it's 10% more than the highest paid at the position. This will really discourage teams to use it multiple years in a row on the same player.

They do that already. Year two it's a 20% increase from the previous year, year three it's a 44% increase from the previous year. Kirk Cousins is the most recent example.

No real incentive for the Steelers not to call his bluff.  If they don't want to go higher than what they've offered what's the difference between him retiring or going to another team to them?  With the retirement option, he doesn't make any of their potential rivals better.  If he doesn't take a deal around 5/$60M, then he'll get tagged again.

13 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I said it during the season, get as much as you can out of Bell this year and then let him walk.  He probably has 1-2 more 'good to elite' years left and then your stuck overpaying a RB or with some dead money if you cut him. 

Also, while Bell is an elite talent that OL of the Steelers with another RB will be fine.  I also think this is one of those lose-lose situations.  Bells patient running style works when you have a damn good OL blocking in front of you.  Won't look as great if he goes to an OK run blocking team.  Not saying he's going to be JAG, but just not as elite as he is now...

Yeah he shows no signs of slowing down so I do believe he would produce elsewhere and I don’t blame him for wanting security after being arguably the best RB in the league since he got to the NFL. His value to the team is great and I think he wants big money and long term whereas the life span of a running back is short. Especially one of his caliber who touches the ball a ton in that offense. In the end they will come to an agreement but I do believe it will be on the Steelers terms. They aren’t afraid of getting rid of valuebale players with good years left. I think Ego is getting in the way for Bell and eventually he will come to a agreement because the deal that was rumored was a good one when considering what other Great running backs have been paid.

He's still fairly young for a RB but has a ton of wear and tear on him. The smart move for Pittsburgh is probably to let him go.

That said, his (likely rapid) decline in year 3 or 4 of the contract will probably coincide with the Steelers needing a new QB. So maybe they just bite the bullet, sign Bell for 5 years knowing that their window is likely 2-3 years and the back end of the deal will likely be paid when the team is rebuilding/retooling anyway. 

As good as Bell is, big money for RB -especially well used RB- is a questionable at best move. 

2 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

I don’t know exactly how it is now but I do know it does escalate. Not sure by how much or how it works exactly. 

4 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Steelers players sure contemplate retirement a lot.  

Seems like every time they do, they crank it up a notch and blow that talk out of the water, too.

So, 250 total yards from Bell this weekend?

16 hours ago, 3rivers said:

what teams though? Many teams could have cap restraints, and already have their featured back. Someone here broke it down a while back, showing that most teams already have their #1RB , might be ~7 teams that don't   IIRC.

While this is true, the top 4 teams that have the most cap space, Cleveland, SF, Indy and the Jets, do have a need for a #1 running back with Crowell and Hyde scheduled to hit free agency, only Marlon Mack in Indy, and the Jets with Powell and McGuire (who are decent pieces, but not what I would consider RB1 types). Would any of those teams really shell out the type of money that Bell wants? I don't know. Shanny and his father have thrived with draft after thoughts for the most part, so I don't know what kind of emphasis he has on that position to shell out that kind of capital 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

While this is true, the top 4 teams that have the most cap space, Cleveland, SF, Indy and the Jets, do have a need for a #1 running back with Crowell and Hyde scheduled to hit free agency, only Marlon Mack in Indy, and the Jets with Powell and McGuire (who are decent pieces, but not what I would consider RB1 types). Would any of those teams really shell out the type of money that Bell wants? I don't know. Shanny and his father have thrived with draft after thoughts for the most part, so I don't know what kind of emphasis he has on that position to shell out that kind of capital 

I read that he was a jets fan but if he wants to win I think the 49ers are on the way with a good QB and a recent  history of having a OL. Indy has and for the longest time has had a bad OL. Cleveland, possibly treated like a plague right now, not sure if any 5th year RB wants to go there during this rebuilding stage. 

Archived