Le'Veon Bell Contemplating Retirement

RuskieTitan

Just now, 3rivers said:

I read that he was a jets fan but if he wants to win I think the 49ers are on the way with a good QB and a recent  history of having a OL. Indy has and for the longest time has had a bad OL. Cleveland, possibly treated like a plague right now, not sure if any 5th year RB wants to go there during this rebuilding stage. 

Oh for sure, really depends on what he wants the most to be honest. If it's just about being paid what he's worth, he may have to settle for a team that isn't all that great. I think in the end, he and Pitt come to an agreement, but I was more or less just pointing out that there are potential landing spots that could pay him a crazy sum. 

I don't expect steelers to be able to pay him what he wants. Unless they compromise other areas of the team, as they have cap problems as usual. When free agency first started players would leave a winning team for a losing team for more money. Today, it might not be quite like that, but wait and see with Bell. I think the 49ers are a team on the rise, Lynch will put together a winner.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think in the end, he and Pitt come to an agreement

I don't think they will unless Bell dials back his demands. Significantly

Here's Pro Football Weekly on the topic

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/01/12/way-we-hear-it-is-leveon-bell-entering-his-final-run-with-pittsburgh-steelers/aypuci6/

"The franchise tender earned Bell $12.1 million this season, which was the highest base salary (not accounting for bonus money) at the position in the NFL by nearly $6 million. His cap hit for the same amount was nearly $2 million more than the next highest-paid back. "

17 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I don't think they will unless Bell dials back his demands. Significantly

Here's Pro Football Weekly on the topic

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/01/12/way-we-hear-it-is-leveon-bell-entering-his-final-run-with-pittsburgh-steelers/aypuci6/

"The franchise tender earned Bell $12.1 million this season, which was the highest base salary (not accounting for bonus money) at the position in the NFL by nearly $6 million. His cap hit for the same amount was nearly $2 million more than the next highest-paid back. "

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I mentioned teams that could certainly throw the money he wants at him, but I don't know if any of them actually would. If he finds a tepid market unwilling to acquiesce to his demands, which I think has at least a decent possibility of happening, I think Pitt would be back up toward the top, particularly if they are willing to inch up on the deal that they offered last year. 

There's more than $600 million in un-spent cap space sitting around. Cleveland is sitting on $100 M of it

Bell will have to decide what he really wants: Very good money + winning in Pitt or obscene money + more losing in Cleveland (among others)

I hope he chooses wisely.... B|

(they almost always choose the cash over winning)

12 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

As they should, championship windows open and close so quickly in the NFL, not to mention the dozens of moving parts the players have no real control over. It's not often we see true playoff mercenaries like Revis.

This comes down to what is the best business decision for him. It may be the best thing for him to threaten to retire if tagged again or hold out and play the minimum amount of games to have the season count. 

The best business decision for the steelers is to tag him again. At this  point I wouldn't offer the same deal he  had last year. I would prefer to tag him 1 more time and get what you  can out of him. After next season you let him walk and accept the compensatory 3rd they would get in the following draft. I love bell and with him on the roster this has the making of a special offense, but it would just be bad business to give him a 5 year deal after a 400 touch season. 

1 hour ago, Big Snack said:

This comes down to what is the best business decision for him. It may be the best thing for him to threaten to retire if tagged again or hold out and play the minimum amount of games to have the season count. 

The best business decision for the steelers is to tag him again. At this  point I wouldn't offer the same deal he  had last year. I would prefer to tag him 1 more time and get what you  can out of him. After next season you let him walk and accept the compensatory 3rd they would get in the following draft. I love bell and with him on the roster this has the making of a special offense, but it would just be bad business to give him a 5 year deal after a 400 touch season. 

The best strategy Bell can use to negate a 2nd tag - pull a Duane Brown, and hold out for the max time allowed and report once you are forced to (otherwise the service time clock doesn't toll) - you lose those game cheques, but save your body from another 400+ touches, and get, say 220+.  

The tag next year becomes 14.5M+, he'd lose half by doing that but also would only get half the touches.  Bell would still get the service time, and then would be far more likely to still get paid the next year, when the tag is impractical, and he has less mileage.   

When players say it's not about the money...it's about the money.  In this case, Bell looking to secure a long-term deal before the mileage robs him of elite status.   The above would accomplish the same goal.

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

There's more than $600 million in un-spent cap space sitting around. Cleveland is sitting on $100 M of it

Bell will have to decide what he really wants: Very good money + winning in Pitt or obscene money + more losing in Cleveland (among others)

I hope he chooses wisely.... B|

hey...hey...hey...

On paper, the Browns have one looks like a very solid FO. Not just a solid GM, Dorsey has surrounded himself with a lot well respected FO members. They will spend the money and do what it takes to give the Browns the talent they need to compete.

Browns biggest issue is Hue Jackson. Biggest Hypocrite I have seen from an NFL HC.

It would be nice to see the Browns sign Cousin and Bell this offseason and maybe even add Landry as well 

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The best strategy Bell can use to negate a 2nd tag - pull a Duane Brown, and hold out for the max time allowed and report once you are forced to (otherwise the service time clock doesn't toll) - you lose those game cheques, but save your body from another 400+ touches, and get, say 220+.  

The tag next year becomes 14.5M+, he'd lose half by doing that but also would only get half the touches.  Bell would still get the service time, and then would be far more likely to still get paid the next year, when the tag is impractical, and he has less mileage.   

When players say it's not about the money...it's about the money.  In this case, Bell looking to secure a long-term deal before the mileage robs him of elite status.   The above would accomplish the same goal.

and I believe the tag would be the teams best move as well. even if bell does sit the max time allowed and plays it out the same as Duane Brown.

On 1/12/2018 at 12:28 AM, berlin calling said:

what is it with Steelers players and their constant mumbling about retirement? exaggarating here, but i am really getting tired of hearing the same ish from Big Ben and now Bell every offseason. get your ish straight guys, your either in it or your not.

Silly post.  

Ben is getting older and this past offseason was the first time he mentioned the possibility of retirement..  It would be a dead issue if not for the media and fans beating a dead horse and speculating about when he actually WILL retire.. 

This is the first time Bell has mentioned retirement, and its obvious its just trying to force the Steelers hand into not tagging him again.

Either way, not sure why it bothers you so much.   First off....who cares?   Secondly, it doesnt happen nearly as much as you insinuate.  

Archived