Le'Veon Bell Contemplating Retirement

RuskieTitan

I'm going to leave out the personal considerations here, viz. that Le'Veon Bell at age 25 is already earning almost as much money as I do.

What bothers me is the attrition rate for running backs, especially those with 300+ carries in a season, for which there is an interesting history:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/what-happens-after-300-carries-revisited/

"Last summer we took a look at what happens to running backs in the season following a 300+ carry campaign and applied the data to the five ball-carriers who entered 2013 one year after a 300+ carry effort. From a fantasy football perspective, all five running backs (Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson, Doug Martin, Marshawn Lynch and Alfred Morris) who fit the bill saw a decrease in fantasy output last season, with four of those players (Foster, Peterson, Martin and Morris) experiencing a drop of at least 50 fantasy points from 2012 to 2013.

Since 2002, there have been 82 instances in which an NFL running back recorded 300 or more carries in a season. For the purposes of this analysis, we’re going to eliminate two of those players (Ricky Williams and Tiki Barber) because they retired following their 300+ carry season. Of the 80 remaining players, 60 (75 percent) came back the year after recording 300+ carries to produce fewer fantasy points. In addition, 44 (55 percent) of those 80 running backs saw a decrease in fantasy production of at least 50 points from one season to the next."

- Isn't there also an unofficial "rule" that running backs who have carried 370 times in one season almost inevitably suffer a drop-off the next year, and a general decline for the rest of their careers? Bell's 321 rushes and 85 receptions (talk about production!) approach that.

I can understand Bell's wanting to make the most money he can during the peak of his career- no doubt he's aware of the short window of time a running back has, owing to all those hits. But surely the Steelers are also aware of that attrition rate, and want to do what's fiscally responsible for the team.

2 hours ago, Big Snack said:

and I believe the tag would be the teams best move as well. even if bell does sit the max time allowed and plays it out the same as Duane Brown.

It’s definitely the only way that PIT can avoid long term $ commitment.   Sitting out like Brown did is the only way Bell can avoid a season with a mega workload too. Thus the impending potential showdown.  

I get why they aren't committed to him long term.

Injury history, previous suspensions, and just the overall length of a runningback life in the NFL.
They are making him the highest paid RB in the league with the tag every year by almost double.

I also get why Bell wants his pay, for how well he has played.

I just think Bell & the Steelers come to an end this year.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

If Bell leaves or sits out, what compensation pick(s) do the steelers get? If we franchise him, can another team sign him but cough up RD1 pick? 

Im not 100% on this but I believe teams can use a unexclusive franchise tag that allows the player to negotiate with other teams. If the tagging team does not match the other teams offer the tagging team receives 2 firsts. Like I said, I’m really not 100% on that.

2 hours ago, Neumatic said:

Im not 100% on this but I believe teams can use a unexclusive franchise tag that allows the player to negotiate with other teams. If the tagging team does not match the other teams offer the tagging team receives 2 firsts. Like I said, I’m really not 100% on that.

This sounds decent, but waiting for confirmation from one of the people in the know here.  If we got 2 RD1 picks, that could easily help move up in the draft. 

I think the Steelers have offered him fair and viable compensation. He’s chosen to hold out for more and it resulted in a tag. It’s all about the money. I don’t blame him. I’d try to every dollar I could too but you’re not going to get Cleveland Money and play for a year in, year out contender like Pittsburgh. 

400 touches is almost always the kiss of death. No way you give him 40-50 million guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Sure because the rest of us could quit our jobs if we didn't get the money we want and live happily ever after. Poor LeVeon Bell.

No, but we could find a job with another company that pays better.

I'd let him walk in FA. He wants to get PAID and another 'tag' really isn't fair for someone who plays his position. He's the best and wants the security with that contract. Steelers should be looking for the rebuild pieces this next Draft. They drafted Bell's replacement this season now they need to look at a QB behind Ben. Brown/JuJu and the Oline are set so keep working on the D and if a QB falls it might be wise to get the future secured. If Bell turned down 12 mil a season for 5 years it's not going to look much better in FA.

3 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Sure because the rest of us could quit our jobs if we didn't get the money we want and live happily ever after. Poor LeVeon Bell.

what does it matter what the rest of us could or couldn't do? he's seeking fair compensation relative to his peers.

Archived