Bell thread in the news section

3rivers

What a time for this,  and this isn't crapaport eitherO.o 

Bell might not realize this, but it could be his last chance at the SB this year. I doubt a team that can pay him what he wants will hav the other pieces to make a champion due to the cap and the fact many teams already have their RB or flex+RB 9_9

2 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

What a selfish player to make a statement like that before a big playoff game.

What are the rules around the tag? How many games can he sit out and still have the year count?

10.  VJax did it for a long time.  Problem is we're going to tag him in order to negotiate a contract.  So if he retires out of spite because of that then screw him.

I have thought for years that the NFL should have a standard contract for all players (or perhaps positions) with a standard base salary.  These agreements could be loaded up with incentives and demerits and a player's salary would depend ultimately on how he performed.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

10.  VJax did it for a long time.  Problem is we're going to tag him in order to negotiate a contract.  So if he retires out of spite because of that then screw him.

Can we let him walk and get compensation picks ? 

2 hours ago, TpeSteel said:

I have thought for years that the NFL should have a standard contract for all players (or perhaps positions) with a standard base salary.  These agreements could be loaded up with incentives and demerits and a player's salary would depend ultimately on how he performed.

This would make sense,  but players could then complain about not getting the chance to pad their stats. In the end, if they want to complain or always want more, that's what will go on. 

Unless his is unanimous playoff MVP and SB MVP (real SB MVP not last play MVP), I am starting to agree with those that say let him walk.  If we had capspace , maybe overpay him and front load the deal, but I doubt that happens. 

What team would sign him? I ask since it was pointed out that most teams already have their #1 RB , cap restraints etc, so who is out there that can sign him and get him the 400+ chances  etc.?

I gotta be honest, I dont know how this makes him a selfish player. For starters he was asked the question. This wasn't a random, "hey, Im gonna talk about this today" in an open forum. Secondly, the franchise tag is awful for the players. Sure he will be paid well for one season, but this is a gruesome sport and he plays a position with a short enough shelf life. The loss of future insurance for the player is pretty absurd. 

I know every fan thinks that they would happily play for 1 year at $15M if they were in his shoes...but no you wouldn't. If it came down to $15M for one year in this blood sport or the chance at $15M per for 5 years....you would resent the tag too. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I gotta be honest, I dont know how this makes him a selfish player. For starters he was asked the question. This wasn't a random, "hey, Im gonna talk about this today" in an open forum. Secondly, the franchise tag is awful for the players. Sure he will be paid well for one season, but this is a gruesome sport and he plays a position with a short enough shelf life. The loss of future insurance for the player is pretty absurd. 

I know every fan thinks that they would happily play for 1 year at $15M if they were in his shoes...but no you wouldn't. If it came down to $15M for one year in this blood sport or the chance at $15M per for 5 years....you would resent the tag too. 

Eh. Most players rush to get contracts with the most guaranteed money to begin with. And then they rarely get most of what those contracts are sold as and end up making less than if they had just taken a bit less.

In the case of Bell, I really doubt any team would pay him what he wants. The Steelers offered him a contract that was frankly above his market value. He's deluded. I don't begrudge him. I just think he's not that bright and an egomaniac. As a Steelers fan, I think he's protecting the team from itself (sort of like Mike Wallace did). The deal they offered him wouldn't have worked out. Bell is very replaceable - especially as he starts to wind down. And I already see signs that.

A year off actually may be good for him. RB is a position where guys missing a season and then returning has seemed to breathe some new life into them.

Biggest thing I'm scared of if the team loses Bell is that Tomlin has some weird taste in RB's. Even in the case of Bell, he wasn't Bell until the team had him lose significant weight. Tomlin is more infatuated with heavier RB's than Cowher ever was. It's like he's vehemently opposed to having a RB with breakaway speed unless that guy is 170 lb's.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

The way players are today with social media etc, fans can expect inappropriate comments from players as well as reporters asking for such content, thats our current era it seems.  There was a time when the player most likely would have said " right now I'm concentrating on our game this week and all contract talks will resume in the spring" , but that era is gone and won't return . 

The RB takes more physical contact that the other players. OL take contact every down, but the RB when hit is more severe. As a result, I don't blame him for wanting what he is worth and he has the stats and work ethic to back it up ,no doubt one of the best in this generation.  If Bell leaves, I wish him the best, but too bad if he leaves us but we can't keep everyone. 

10 minutes ago, Neumatic said:

Yawn...just propaganda. That’s all the media is, fans gobble it up though. I really don’t care what interviewers pried out of any players, all they want is a story.

I wouldn't doubt it, if crapaport has a job then they just make up crap and create drama.  We will see in the spring how this goes. If Bell won't sign the tag, can we trade him to a team that guarantees the deal he wants? How does all that work? Is the compensatory pick only a RD1 pick ?

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

Eh. Most players rush to get contracts with the most guaranteed money to begin with. And then they rarely get most of what those contracts are sold as and end up making less than if they had just taken a bit less.

In the case of Bell, I really doubt any team would pay him what he wants. The Steelers offered him a contract that was frankly above his market value. He's deluded. I don't begrudge him. I just think he's not that bright and an egomaniac. As a Steelers fan, I think he's protecting the team from itself (sort of like Mike Wallace did). The deal they offered him wouldn't have worked out. Bell is very replaceable - especially as he starts to wind down. And I already see signs that.

A year off actually may be good for him. RB is a position where guys missing a season and then returning has seemed to breathe some new life into them.

Biggest thing I'm scared of if the team loses Bell is that Tomlin has some weird taste in RB's. Even in the case of Bell, he wasn't Bell until the team had him lose significant weight. Tomlin is more infatuated with heavier RB's than Cowher ever was. It's like he's vehemently opposed to having a RB with breakaway speed unless that guy is 170 lb's.

Bell seems heavier and slower this year, yet still effective, but not like last year or other years. Maybe the injuries have taken a toll but currently I think it is more weight related. When he was lighter/faster and healthy, I could see a team paying him his deal, but the injuries kept happening (part of the risk with his way of running) .  He could be delusional or listening to the commentators always say he is the best.  Usually there is some competition, but most of the time they say Bell is the best. That doesn't help either  does it.

I too am not sure of Tomlins RB selection. Mendy was so/so but why not have 2 different players of different games. Archer was a waste.   Connor could be good and then maybe a more speedy shifty RB. Keep making the OL better, keep Finney and draft/UFA quality reserves.  I don't care about breakaway speed unless the RB can also play between the tackles and is good for every down. Breakaway speed means nothing if they never get out there (drivers archer?), and I don't see vids on youtube for the next Bo :ph34r:

Is there a site that lists all the UFA RB's after this season? We could look that over and factor that in mocks I suppose for the draft board here. Some have claimed this draft really good for RB too, and that can help the FO make it's stance in the spring. 

6 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

He is selfish bc he made a comment like this before a playoff game.  He could have easily gave a non answer to avoid any additional drama or distraction before a big game.

It is obviously more about him and his money than the team and winning Super Bowls.

14 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Ridiculous. He's making himself out to be some sort of martyr or Trailblazer. No, you're a greedy prick.

No he isn't, look what happened to Shazier. These players should be demanding the most money possible. It also helps every other player in the league when he gets paid more. If he gets a monster contract than guys like gurley and david Johnson get to resign and they have to use Bell's salary as a starting point. Then the RBs are getting paid so much that WRs and TEs like Gronk and Kelce and such get to say that they should be paid more for producing so much on offense, and it goes from there. Its selfish of players to take huge paycuts tbh because that hurts the market for other players.

NFL owners make millions upon millions for nothing. What has Art Rooney the second ever done in his life to deserve this? Be the grandson of a guy who built an NFL team and graduate law school? Half this damn forum could graduate law school if they had been raised by millionaires and given the proper education. And then you got guys like Jed York who are in the same situation but can't even run the damn team because they are so incompetent. There ARE people on this forum more qualified to run a team than that guy.

Then you've got the players, who take on all the actual risk with their bodies and minds who make way less money than the owners and who (most of the time) come from poor to middle class families or families that have never even sent someone to college much less had money, and you call them greedy for wanting market value?

Look at the tickets for this weekends game https://www.stubhub.com/pittsburgh-steelers-tickets-pittsburgh-steelers-pittsburgh-heinz-field-1-14-2018/event/103299460/?sort=value+desc 

Good seats are running at least $250 a piece. Some of them are nearly twice that. How many friends you got in Pittsburgh who can reasonably afford $1000-$2000 just for tickets to take a family of 4 to a football game? Not to mention parking, concessions, maybe souvenirs. Is Art Rooney saying that the playoffs are an important time for the fans, and that he recognizes the fans are the only reason he has anything in his life, and offering to drop tickets to $20 a seat? No, because the market dictates that he can sell them for $250 a piece instead. Is he a greedy prick? Maybe, but he isn't putting his health on the line to give those fans something to watch on sunday like Bell is, and he won't be watching the game from a wheelchair like Shazier will be.

Lastly, if none of that has convinced you, if you could go work somewhere else for 25% more money, would you tell them no thanks, or would you tell your boss he needs to match it or you will be leaving?

6 hours ago, Neumatic said:

Yawn...just propaganda. That’s all the media is, fans gobble it up though. I really don’t care what interviewers pried out of any players, all they want is a story.

Do you know what propaganda is? I think the word you're looking for might be clickbait.

Archived