Bell thread in the news section

3rivers

47 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

He is selfish bc he made a comment like this before a playoff game.  He could have easily gave a non answer to avoid any additional drama or distraction before a big game.

It is obviously more about him and his money than the team and winning Super Bowls.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/12/leveon-bell-take-to-twitter-to-explain-his-earlier-comments/

7 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

In the case of Bell, I really doubt any team would pay him what he wants. The Steelers offered him a contract that was frankly above his market value. He's deluded.

How do you know what market value is for a RB of Bell's caliber? Bell is on the level of an AP or LDT, minus some injuries and suspensions, and a RB like that in his prime hasn't hit FA any time recently afaik. Why shouldn't he get to test FA?

Bell is just being prudent saying he would sit out a year. Take a franchise tag and end up Shaziered or Theismanned and never play again, or sit out and sign an even bigger deal the next year, he isn't like Kirk Cousins playing QB where the risks are lesser and the rewards are greater riding through multiple franchise tags, he has to be careful.

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

No he isn't, look what happened to Shazier. These players should be demanding the most money possible. It also helps every other player in the league when he gets paid more. If he gets a monster contract than guys like gurley and david Johnson get to resign and they have to use Bell's salary as a starting point. Then the RBs are getting paid so much that WRs and TEs like Gronk and Kelce and such get to say that they should be paid more for producing so much on offense, and it goes from there. Its selfish of players to take huge paycuts tbh because that hurts the market for other players.

NFL owners make millions upon millions for nothing. What has Art Rooney the second ever done in his life to deserve this? Be the grandson of a guy who built an NFL team and graduate law school? Half this damn forum could graduate law school if they had been raised by millionaires and given the proper education. And then you got guys like Jed York who are in the same situation but can't even run the damn team because they are so incompetent. There ARE people on this forum more qualified to run a team than that guy.

Then you've got the players, who take on all the actual risk with their bodies and minds who make way less money than the owners and who (most of the time) come from poor to middle class families or families that have never even sent someone to college much less had money, and you call them greedy for wanting market value?

Look at the tickets for this weekends game https://www.stubhub.com/pittsburgh-steelers-tickets-pittsburgh-steelers-pittsburgh-heinz-field-1-14-2018/event/103299460/?sort=value+desc 

Good seats are running at least $250 a piece. Some of them are nearly twice that. How many friends you got in Pittsburgh who can reasonably afford $1000-$2000 just for tickets to take a family of 4 to a football game? Not to mention parking, concessions, maybe souvenirs. Is Art Rooney saying that the playoffs are an important time for the fans, and that he recognizes the fans are the only reason he has anything in his life, and offering to drop tickets to $20 a seat? No, because the market dictates that he can sell them for $250 a piece instead. Is he a greedy prick? Maybe, but he isn't putting his health on the line to give those fans something to watch on sunday like Bell is, and he won't be watching the game from a wheelchair like Shazier will be.

Lastly, if none of that has convinced you, if you could go work somewhere else for 25% more money, would you tell them no thanks, or would you tell your boss he needs to match it or you will be leaving?

Blah-Blah-Blah. He "raps" about getting paid. He turned down a contract paying him more than any other RB. He says it isn't about the money but it's about his value. Then he equates value to money. Injuries are a part of the game. They don't determine how much you get paid. 

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

No he isn't, look what happened to Shazier. These players should be demanding the most money possible. It also helps every other player in the league when he gets paid more. If he gets a monster contract than guys like gurley and david Johnson get to resign and they have to use Bell's salary as a starting point. Then the RBs are getting paid so much that WRs and TEs like Gronk and Kelce and such get to say that they should be paid more for producing so much on offense, and it goes from there. Its selfish of players to take huge paycuts tbh because that hurts the market for other players.

NFL owners make millions upon millions for nothing. What has Art Rooney the second ever done in his life to deserve this? Be the grandson of a guy who built an NFL team and graduate law school? Half this damn forum could graduate law school if they had been raised by millionaires and given the proper education. And then you got guys like Jed York who are in the same situation but can't even run the damn team because they are so incompetent. There ARE people on this forum more qualified to run a team than that guy.

Then you've got the players, who take on all the actual risk with their bodies and minds who make way less money than the owners and who (most of the time) come from poor to middle class families or families that have never even sent someone to college much less had money, and you call them greedy for wanting market value?

Look at the tickets for this weekends game https://www.stubhub.com/pittsburgh-steelers-tickets-pittsburgh-steelers-pittsburgh-heinz-field-1-14-2018/event/103299460/?sort=value+desc 

Good seats are running at least $250 a piece. Some of them are nearly twice that. How many friends you got in Pittsburgh who can reasonably afford $1000-$2000 just for tickets to take a family of 4 to a football game? Not to mention parking, concessions, maybe souvenirs. Is Art Rooney saying that the playoffs are an important time for the fans, and that he recognizes the fans are the only reason he has anything in his life, and offering to drop tickets to $20 a seat? No, because the market dictates that he can sell them for $250 a piece instead. Is he a greedy prick? Maybe, but he isn't putting his health on the line to give those fans something to watch on sunday like Bell is, and he won't be watching the game from a wheelchair like Shazier will be.

Lastly, if none of that has convinced you, if you could go work somewhere else for 25% more money, would you tell them no thanks, or would you tell your boss he needs to match it or you will be leaving?

The amount that the owners are making is irrelevant when you are talking about player contracts. The individual contracts are more influenced by salary cap than by income of the team. If the salary cap went up, no matter how high, the percentage of the cap that the players would expect would be the same. Because of that, Bell holding out for "what he deserves" takes money out of another player's pocket. The market for RBs is lower now than before because the RBs can be effective by rotating multiple lower ability level RBs. Teams started replacing stars at RB because they weren't worth what they were being paid relative to other players, that is how a market works.

13 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Eh. Most players rush to get contracts with the most guaranteed money to begin with. And then they rarely get most of what those contracts are sold as and end up making less than if they had just taken a bit less.

In the case of Bell, I really doubt any team would pay him what he wants. The Steelers offered him a contract that was frankly above his market value. He's deluded. I don't begrudge him. I just think he's not that bright and an egomaniac. As a Steelers fan, I think he's protecting the team from itself (sort of like Mike Wallace did). The deal they offered him wouldn't have worked out. Bell is very replaceable - especially as he starts to wind down. And I already see signs that.

A year off actually may be good for him. RB is a position where guys missing a season and then returning has seemed to breathe some new life into them.

Biggest thing I'm scared of if the team loses Bell is that Tomlin has some weird taste in RB's. Even in the case of Bell, he wasn't Bell until the team had him lose significant weight. Tomlin is more infatuated with heavier RB's than Cowher ever was. It's like he's vehemently opposed to having a RB with breakaway speed unless that guy is 170 lb's.

I dont know if I agree with much of this. 

Sure players jump for larger Guaranteed money, but its still security that an injury happens, there are more payments on the way. If he is injured next year under a franchise tag, it can severely hinder his potential earnings the next year whereas if he hit FA and on the open market got $12-$15 per over 4-5 years, he is locked in to a contract and is no longer playing year to year and hoping to stay healthy. 

What is market value for the guys like Bell, DJ, and Zek? Not only is he a top 3 rusher in the league he also catches 60-80 balls a year. Its pretty ridiculous to hold him to RB contract standards when he is far more than just a simple RB. 

I also don't see the signs of him winding down. He isn't a speed back, so that's not a worry. His game revolves around his vision, patience, and receiving game. He is an excellent pass blocker as well. These are traits that do not diminish. He is not like a Willie Parker who was nothing without the top speed or a Mendenhall who had no vision so when the physical tools left he was a meaningless asset. Sure their will be regression, but even if his future is a late career Marshall Faulk, that is still a very beneficial asset to a team. He absolutely would still have 2-3 years of top end rushing production at least.

I cant think of anyone other than Marshawn taking a year off and coming back. And he was...average, to say the least. Not sure how much good that did him. 

And as @jebrick mentioned, there are plenty of teams that would open up the pocket books to pay a guy like Bell. The 49ers, the Colts, the Bucs, and the Texas are good teams with solid QBs who are missing that other dimension. They all have $50M plus to spend. The Browns and Jets also have a ton of Cap space to spend on a superstar like Bell to breath some life into an organization. And if the Redskins let Cousins walk, concentrating on the Running game with a back like Bell is a great start....so there are plenty of teams that would have reason to shell out what his asking price may be. I dont think that team will be the Steelers, but he absolutely has a market for the price he is asking for. 

If I'm the FO, I give Bell a 4 year deal for a boatload. I think people are greatly underestimating his impact on the offense. Sure, we can have a good offense without him but with him we have a generational offense. Our defense is not good enough to carry the team. That means the offense must, and I'm not 100% sure they can without Bell. His game will age well and we have a short window to win. 

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If I'm the FO, I give Bell a 4 year deal for a boatload. I think people are greatly underestimating his impact on the offense. Sure, we can have a good offense without him but with him we have a generational offense. Our defense is not good enough to carry the team. That means the offense must, and I'm not 100% sure they can without Bell. His game will age well and we have a short window to win. 

Couple in the fact that with our offensive line, the Running game with Bell is most likely the immediate way to stay playoff relevant post Ben. If Ben was still here for another 3 years or so....I would say we dont need Bell. But he is who we lean on now more than ever and the loss of him AND Ben would a huge step down. The transition would be pretty drastic then. 

Sign Bell, draft defense assets, and hope you can find a suitable Vet or a young guy to groom. That is our best chance at continuing excellence post Ben

7 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Do you know what propaganda is? I think the word you're looking for might be clickbait.

They are pretty close to the same thing in the media today.  There are stories that are deliberately designed to cause drama, turmoil, to turn or slant a person or their views to get people talking and or simply elicit a response from others.  This is the same thing that happened last year with AB and the FB Live drama.  I heard no one mention his FB Live after the Dolphins win.  The next week after the Chiefs play-off victory, the story was blown way out of proportion and made to look like the Steelers were so undisciplined, didn't respect their head coach and are running around out of control. Some fans and media people made comments like this: "They lost to the Patriots last year because they were focused on FB live and not beating the Patriots!" "The Patriots would never let something like this happen."

No one mentioned that Coach Tomlin was telling the team following his victory congratulations, etc. that he did not want to give any bulletin board material to the Patriots and his displeasure with the time/scheduling by the league.  The story was even slanted to what Coach Tomlin was saying.

That is football propaganda. Click bait is a more popular term today, but yes it is also the definition of propaganda by spreading rumors and using bits of quotes out of context or centered around a very small portion of what you were really talking about.  There is no longer a lot of integrity in journalism.

Definition of propaganda

1 capitalized : a congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions
2 : the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person
3 : ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect

Definition of clickbait

: something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest
  • It is difficult to remember a time when you could scroll through the social media outlet of your choice and not be bombarded with: You'll never believe what happened when … This is the cutest thing ever … This the biggest mistake you can make … Take this quiz to see which character you are on … They are all classic clickbait models.
  • —Emily Shire

I don't know that a Shanahan is going to throw big money at a running back.... I would laugh my *** off if Bell went to Cleveland for the money..... The Jets I think make the most sense especially if they are drafting a young quarterback.  I know they don't win much more than the Browns but they actually do sometimes and at least its New York where he supposedly was a fan...

I would love to bring Bell back, and I'm no cap genius,  but if it means letting Haden go and not filling holes on the defense due to lack of $$$ I would look to draft a runningback and move on unfortunately.  Now if Big Ben retires (and frees up some mula) I kick the idea of giving Bell big money around even more if we can find an adequate stop gap at QB but I don't know if its a terrible idea to try the mini tank and let Ben and Bell leave at the same time to try to get into a good position to draft a Ben replacement.

I'd be curious to know who would most likely have to be shown the door to afford Bell on a Franchise tag for another year?

4 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

That is football propaganda. Click bait is a more popular term today, but yes it is also the definition of propaganda by spreading rumors and using bits of quotes out of context or centered around a very small portion of what you were really talking about.  There is no longer a lot of integrity in journalism.

Who is this "propaganda" hurting then, and why did Bell supply the line?

At this point I think there is a real chance that lazy on Bell and Martavis Bryant are playing for new teams next season. I mean I expect them to make a major priority to get Le'Veon Bell a new contract but it really comes down to how much money he wants and I have a really big feeling he's going to want a lot more than we can afford. I will say this if we end up losing Le'Veon Bell it's going to be a major hit to our offense.

I'm going to ask a really crazy question here let's say for a second we lose Bell, does anyone think there's any chance in hell that we trade up to get saquon Barkley

10 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

At this point I think there is a real chance that lazy on Bell and Martavis Bryant are playing for new teams next season. I mean I expect them to make a major priority to get Le'Veon Bell a new contract but it really comes down to how much money he wants and I have a really big feeling he's going to want a lot more than we can afford. I will say this if we end up losing Le'Veon Bell it's going to be a major hit to our offense.

I'm going to ask a really crazy question here let's say for a second we lose Bell, does anyone think there's any chance in hell that we trade up to get saquon Barkley

He's already made it clear they can't afford him. In his mind, it's $15 Million a year or nothing at all.  I would continue to negotiate. Sweeten last year's offer a little and if he declines, call his bluff. Slap the tag on him and see if he sits. After sitting out a year he'll be about 28yo and only the crappy of crappy teams would lock him up long term to a mega deal. If that's what he wants, so be it. As far as trading up for Barkley, going from #30-#32 to top 5 is too big to pull off using just draft picks IMO. Perhaps a sign and trade with Bell. They do that a lot in the NBA but not so much in the NFL. Maybe there are rules against it? 

Just now, Chieferific said:

He's already made it clear they can't afford him. In his mind, it's $15 Million a year or nothing at all.  I would continue to negotiate. Sweeten last year's offer a little and if he declines, call his bluff. Slap the tag on him and see if he sits. After sitting out a year he'll be about 28yo and only the crappy of crappy teams would lock him up long term to a mega deal. If that's what he wants, so be it. As far as trading up for Barkley, going from #30-#32 to top 5 is too big to pull off using just draft picks IMO. Perhaps a sign and trade with Bell. They do that a lot in the NBA but not so much in the NFL. Maybe there are rules against it? 

I don't know if there are rules against it but the cap penalty if we would take in order to do such a thing would be enormous.  I agree with your method of handling it but it definitely I would say that we need to go out in the second or third round and get another running back to replace Bell because if that's the way they did handle it then in 2019 he would most definitely not be on the roster

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

He needs to worry about his Post-Season performance first. 

Agree with this 100%.   Show us that you can stay healthy and productive in the playoffs and help the team win a Super Bowl, then we'll talk about a new contract.  

Archived