Bell thread in the news section

3rivers

14 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

if you are replacing Bell, you are replacing a tier 1 RB and a WR#2  in terms of production.  how many touches? how many scrimmage yards?

you have to evaluate that (and his injury risk) into any contract scenario.

Bell's not going anywhere. 

On 1/12/2018 at 7:10 AM, jebrick said:

The Browns will pay him 15M per year.  The 49'ers will pay him $15M per year.  Those two teams have over 100M in cap space.  I think the Jets could make a run at it.

Great.  Let them.  Then he can run for 950 yds, catch for about 250 yds, and fade away into medocrity...but he'll have his money, and to some, that's all that matters.

I don't even care about the timing of this...well, I do, but what's more annoying is the fact that he was given a fair contract offer; one that would have 'reset' the market, even if it wsan't exactly what he had in mind.  At this point, he's being greedy.

He can try to sugar-coat it with "I'm trying to win a 7th for my brothers' and 'I'm trying to help those that come after me' and 'I've made enough money, it's wear I'm valued that matters'...well, why don't you let Gurley, Ezekiel, and Fournette...you know, the guy that's moving on to next week, worry about their own contracts, and you worry about yours.

I tell you what. If it's not about the money...meaning, if you'd REALLY be happy with a lot less money, and it's really about the 'value' of the contract, prove it to me, and donate half of your contract to homeless veterans, kids with cancer, animal protection groups...whoever, and then I'll 'believe' it's not about the money, only the 'value'.

Please, PLEASE, Colbert and Tomlin; move on from this joker, and get a new RB in the draft, and spend that money on some folks who know how to TACKLE RBs, instead...oh, and draft one or two as well.  I don't blame the team for the loss.  It was close. Ben fumbled away a TD, so that's unfortunate, but other than that, the Steelers fairly dominated the game offensively.  Just more of the same, and Bell's situation, AB not being 100%, and Shazier being lost, and our Offensive Coordinator being allergic to running the ball, were all major factors, unfortunately.

24 minutes ago, August4th said:

hope we didn't see his last game as a steeler...he was so great today

Really?  He avg'd 4 YPR this season behind one of the best OL in the NFL.  He was hardly the tops in Receiving as RBs go...Kamara, Duke Johnson, and Gurley had more, McCaffrey was equal, just about, and 3 others with over 450 yds. Of those with 380+ Receiving yds, all but 1 (12) had at least as many TDs, and there were quite a few with 4, 5, or 6. 

Colbert made a fair offer to him, regardless of the guaranteed money, so on and so forth, it would have 'reset' the market as he asked, and 'valued' him higher than anyone ever as a RB; he turned it down and got greedy.  

I know I'm in the minority, but my goodness, we have bigger issues we need to address then to stroke a RB's ego. Look up at what I just stated. 12 RBs had at least 380 yds Receiving and 2 TDs. the Draft promises to have about another 8 or so that can do the same...for a lot less.  And at least half of these these guys did it without a future HOF QB, and another 1/2 of those did it without an OL as good as ours. 

We need to be good stewards our Cap, and $14M on Bell, that could be spent on a 3/4 solution at RB, at least, and likely 2 add'l Defensive upgrades , to me, is a smarter move. AB is special. He has one of the best work ethics in the business, and other than being a diva from time to time, he certainly takes care of business and accepts contracts that are offered and fair.

You may have heard that AB is the highest paid WR in the NFL.  True.  Do you want to know where he ranks in guaranteed money on that fat contract he signed??  #21 right behind Rookie Mike Williams, the #7 overall pick from Clemson last year, and his 4yr / $19,749,928M  contract.  DeAndre Hopkins signed a 5 yr(s) / $81,000,000M on 31 Aug, 2017, with $49M guaranteed.

Bell was offered $30M over 2yrs, $42M over 3yrs, likely with a similar deal AB had, where the $12.1M would be guaranteed, with a roster bonus in 2018 and 2019, which would be guaranteed within days into the new year, but that isn't good enough for him, and actually, I'm glad he turned it down, and I can only hope, hope, hope and pray that the Steelers realize that he's not THAT special. Gurley, Fournette, Ezekiel, etc. will have an easier time getting their guarantees than Bell ever will; that's not the point. He was offered the ability to 'reset' the market as he asked...$14M/yr for 3 yrs for a RB is INSANE.  He turned it down.  Good riddance is what I have to say.  All the while, AB will get his $17.7M a few days after the new year , STILL be the highest paid...or close, WR in the NFL, and life will move on, and he will be revered in Steeler Nation forever.  Bell??  Well, that's up to him.

14 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Really?  He avg'd 4 YPR this season behind one of the best OL in the NFL.  He was hardly the tops in Receiving as RBs go...Kamara, Duke Johnson, and Gurley had more, McCaffrey was equal, just about, and 3 others with over 450 yds. Of those with 380+ Receiving yds, all but 1 (12) had at least as many TDs, and there were quite a few with 4, 5, or 6. 

Colbert made a fair offer to him, regardless of the guaranteed money, so on and so forth, it would have 'reset' the market as he asked, and 'valued' him higher than anyone ever as a RB; he turned it down and got greedy.  

I know I'm in the minority, but my goodness, we have bigger issues we need to address then to stroke a RB's ego. Look up at what I just stated. 12 RBs had at least 380 yds Receiving and 2 TDs. the Draft promises to have about another 8 or so that can do the same...for a lot less.  And at least half of these these guys did it without a future HOF QB, and another 1/2 of those did it without an OL as good as ours. 

We need to be good stewards our Cap, and $14M on Bell, that could be spent on a 3/4 solution at RB, at least, and likely 2 add'l Defensive upgrades , to me, is a smarter move. AB is special. He has one of the best work ethics in the business, and other than being a diva from time to time, he certainly takes care of business and accepts contracts that are offered and fair.

You may have heard that AB is the highest paid WR in the NFL.  True.  Do you want to know where he ranks in guaranteed money on that fat contract he signed??  #21 right behind Rookie Mike Williams, the #7 overall pick from Clemson last year, and his 4yr / $19,749,928M  contract.  DeAndre Hopkins signed a 5 yr(s) / $81,000,000M on 31 Aug, 2017, with $49M guaranteed.

Bell was offered $30M over 2yrs, $42M over 3yrs, likely with a similar deal AB had, where the $12.1M would be guaranteed, with a roster bonus in 2018 and 2019, which would be guaranteed within days into the new year, but that isn't good enough for him, and actually, I'm glad he turned it down, and I can only hope, hope, hope and pray that the Steelers realize that he's not THAT special. Gurley, Fournette, Ezekiel, etc. will have an easier time getting their guarantees than Bell ever will; that's not the point. He was offered the ability to 'reset' the market as he asked...$14M/yr for 3 yrs for a RB is INSANE.  He turned it down.  Good riddance is what I have to say.  All the while, AB will get his $17.7M a few days after the new year , STILL be the highest paid...or close, WR in the NFL, and life will move on, and he will be revered in Steeler Nation forever.  Bell??  Well, that's up to him.

if the draft regularly has 8 guys who can meet that metric, and the average shelf life of an RB is 4-5 years, every team should have a player that can meet those metrics, not just 12 teams.

7 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

if the draft regularly has 8 guys who can meet that metric, and the average shelf life of an RB is 4-5 years, every team should have a player that can meet those metrics, not just 12 teams.

The draft cannot 'regularly' meet that...just this year.  This year is a special crop, which is why I hope the Steelers take advantage of it.  Usually, there's only 2-4.

Here's Kiper's Top 10 from a few days ago:

1. * Saquon Barkley, Penn State 
2. * Bryce Love, Stanford 
3. * Derrius Guice, LSU 
4. * Ronald Jones II, USC 
5. * Damien Harris, Alabama 
6. Nick Chubb, Georgia 
7. * Kerryon Johnson, Auburn 
8. Rashaad Penny, San Diego State 
9. Royce Freeman, Oregon 
10. Sony Michel, Georgia

Here's a Top 50 Big Board from another site from 4 days ago as well...9 RBs

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/1/10/16873270/2018-nfl-draft-big-board-top-50-college-football-scouting-josh-rosen-baker-mayfield-los-angeles-rams

This year is special at the RB; that's my point.

5 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

The draft cannot 'regularly' meet that...just this year.  This year is a special crop, which is why I hope the Steelers take advantage of it.  Usually, there's only 2-4.

Here's Kiper's Top 10 from a few days ago:

1. * Saquon Barkley, Penn State 
2. * Bryce Love, Stanford 
3. * Derrius Guice, LSU 
4. * Ronald Jones II, USC 
5. * Damien Harris, Alabama 
6. Nick Chubb, Georgia 
7. * Kerryon Johnson, Auburn 
8. Rashaad Penny, San Diego State 
9. Royce Freeman, Oregon 
10. Sony Michel, Georgia

Here's a Top 50 Big Board from another site from 4 days ago as well...9 RBs

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/1/10/16873270/2018-nfl-draft-big-board-top-50-college-football-scouting-josh-rosen-baker-mayfield-los-angeles-rams

This year is special at the RB; that's my point.

I'll add some lesser knowns...

Akrum Wadley Iowa

Ralph Webb Vandy

John Kelly Tennessee (Gotta have a my Vol)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-blew-off-steelers-walkthrough-before-jaguars-loss/

So Bell shows up five minutes before the end of the walkthrough and the game itself.

Tomlin wants players to report in the locker room two hours before the game. The article says that was continually ignored by players and a coach or two.

So issue with tag and trade:

That creates a lot of dead cap for us. So you would need to come up with something that’s tag, trade, with new contract agreed to by both sides that puts no burden on the Steelers. 

I wish we did the non-exclusive all along now so we had the ability to match or get picks. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So issue with tag and trade:

That creates a lot of dead cap for us. So you would need to come up with something that’s tag, trade, with new contract agreed to by both sides that puts no burden on the Steelers.

I wish we did the non-exclusive all along now so we had the ability to match or get picks. 

Ah, I see. I didn't know that.

Most likely next season will be his last year. Such a talented player but continued distractions from him.

10 hours ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

If you were Colbert would you trade Bell and get some high draft picks or keep him for another year for another run? He's not getting a long term deal after turning down their offer last season. RB is pretty deep in this year's draft.

I would non exclusive tag him and let him sit out or trade him once tagged. I have had enough of his BS especially since we need help on D much more than this . A good RB with our OL with our QB and WR's should be more than enough on offence. The D is where we need to improve. 

Archived