2018 Off-season Coaching Staff Changes

Mind Character

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

If somehow someway, Hue can pull Mike Mularkey OC, Russ Grimm OL Coach, and Sylvester Croom RB Coach, Steve Hoffman ST Coordinator from Tennesse all because of an unexpected firing of Mularkey...it would really be something to get excited about.

If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see Terry Robiskie come on as a Senior Offensive Assistant.

At this point, the Titans Coaches (offense and defense) are the most coveted assistant coaches in the league as they are all about to be able to get out of their contracts in the next few days while the rest of the prime assistant coaches won't hit the market until after the Super Bowl per rules.

I wouldn’t mind their ST coach. We cannot hire that scrub from the Broncos we just interviewed. And as long as robiskie doesn’t have any actually power I’m good with him. 

Not sure we hire their OL coach. We just hired Wylie last year and he’s one of hues boys. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I wouldn’t mind Mularkey, he’s not my first choice, but he’s better than the current guy.

Seeing as we’ve got the OL and a pair of decent backs, I wouldn’t mind a run heavy offense, especially if we have a young QB.

Hopefully he can bring the tough/physical mentality with him

I think if we hire Mularkey a combo of Barkley/Hill/Johnson would look mighty nice. I think that’s a better combo then what he had in Tennessee. Then Smith/Darnold I still think is better then what he started with in Tennessee. Then all we would have to work on is the WR spot. Maybe Gordon/Landry/Coleman/Kirk with Duke being sprinkled in the slot at times. Would do just fine. Also a thought mularkey and Gregg Williams would be a great staff for 1st time head coach like for instance Dave Toub. When Hue is fired. The only change I wish would have happened would have been to swap out Gregg Williams for Austin from Detroit when he was available but that ship has sailed. 

1 minute ago, bosko1616 said:

I think if we hire Mularkey a combo of Barkley/Hill/Johnson would look mighty nice. I think that’s a better combo then what he had in Tennessee. Then Smith/Darnold I still think is better then what he started with in Tennessee. Then all we would have to work on is the WR spot. Maybe Gordon/Landry/Coleman/Kirk with Duke being sprinkled in the slot at times. Would do just fine. Also a thought mularkey and Gregg Williams would be a great staff for 1st time head coach like for instance Dave Toub. When Hue is fired. The only change I wish would have happened would have been to swap out Gregg Williams for Austin from Detroit when he was available but that ship has sailed. 

Austin is good, but I don't think that much better than Williams though, I almost think that would be close to a lateral move. I don't Austin would have fared much better than what Williams did his first year with the guys we had, plus we wouldn't have Blake Williams who I think is doing wonderful with the LBs

10 hours ago, Mind Character said:

If somehow someway, Hue can pull Mike Mularkey OC, Russ Grimm OL Coach, and Sylvester Croom RB Coach, Steve Hoffman ST Coordinator from Tennesse all because of an unexpected firing of Mularkey...it would really be something to get excited about.

If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see Terry Robiskie come on as a Senior Offensive Assistant.

At this point, the Titans Coaches (offense and defense) are the most coveted assistant coaches in the league as they are all about to be able to get out of their contracts in the next few days while the rest of the prime assistant coaches won't hit the market until after the Super Bowl per rules.

I'd be all for a Mularkey/Croom combo hire - Dorsey has been very successful at  finding good RBs, and we can build the running game into something to hang our hat on more easily than passing in the near term. If we can bring the ST coach over, too, all the better.

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Austin is good, but I don't think that much better than Williams though, I almost think that would be close to a lateral move. I don't Austin would have fared much better than what Williams did his first year with the guys we had, plus we wouldn't have Blake Williams who I think is doing wonderful with the LBs

The difference is Austin would atleast play the Safeties up instead of incredibly far back. And the work they did with Darius Slay is amazing. I really would love too see what he can do here. But that ship has sailed 

17 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

The difference is Austin would atleast play the Safeties up instead of incredibly far back. And the work they did with Darius Slay is amazing. I really would love too see what he can do here. But that ship has sailed 

No offense bro, but Darius Slay is deserves the credit for how Darius Slay has played.

14 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

So your saying that coaching and scheme don’t play a roll in his success ? 

What I'm saying is that I am in Detroit and know whats going on with Slay and his recent success. His recent success is more attributed to him becoming more mature and more a student of the game. Slay made the conscious decision to step his game up, he wasn't schemed into success.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What I'm saying is that I am in Detroit and know whats going on with Slay and his recent success. His recent success is more attributed to him becoming more mature and more a student of the game. Slay made the conscious decision to step his game up, he wasn't schemed into success.

I’m not saying I don’t give him any credit what I’m saying is he’s not Patrick Peterson or a Jalen Ramsey so his athleticism and physical attributes can only take him so far. I think Austin did a terrific job putting his guys in prime positions to succeed. Slay is a terrific football player no doubt but I think some credit should be given to his former DC. 70-30 kinda thing

8 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I’m not saying I don’t give him any credit what I’m saying is he’s not Patrick Peterson or a Jalen Ramsey so his athleticism and physical attributes can only take him so far. I think Austin did a terrific job putting his guys in prime positions to succeed. Slay is a terrific football player no doubt but I think some credit should be given to his former DC. 70-30 kinda thing

100% Agreed

I mentioned Amos Jones from AZ a week ago as Hue and Bruce Arians have mutually respect for coaching styles and philosophies.

I hope this means we can get Harold Goodwin as well from AZ.

Something we need to always remember is that the names that come out in the media are often put out there by agents to boost their profile and perceived desirability.

Interesting that not all names that interview for the job come out in the media....usually the one's that do are younger coaches who's names aren't out there or coaches that have taken hits in the media recently.

Archived