-Unrealistic- Kirk Cousins idea

Slappy Mc

So with the jury out I figured I would pose to you one of the more unlikely (and unrealistic) potential scenarios.

So it is my opinion that the Redskins best option at this point is to Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag Kirk.

Why? Kirk Cousins wants to test free agency. He has said it many times that he wants to know his market and find somewhere he is truly valued. So we give him that option with the non exclusive tag. He can negotiate with ANY team that may want to sign him, with the understanding that if he accept a deal from that team, we can match; or we let him go and receive two first round picks in return.

Lets view a few potential scenarios:

Lets say the baseline deal Kirk will receive is 5 years at 28-29 per year (why would he accept less) with at least 100 mill guaranteed.

Who are potential suitors? Teams currently linked to Cousins are: Broncos, Browns, Jaguars and Jets.

So say those teams offer this contract, this is how I feel we should respond.

Broncos: Don’t match, receive #5 overall and 2019 1st.

Browns: Don’t match, receive #1 and #4 overall (unless they can choose and delegate to #4 and 2019 1st)

Jaguars: Match, the Jaguars are going to be good for some time, meaning their 1st round pick will be more or less considered a 2nd. And I know most of you would kill to even receive 2 2nds for Cousins, but I think Cousins should come back. The contract offered isn’t outrageous and the only reason we don’t match is that the return puts us in a better chance to be successful in the future.

Jets: Don’t match, receive #6 overall and 2019 1st.

Now assuming the extraordinary happens and any of these scenarios (besides the Jags one) we should be in great shape for the long run.

Of course the Browns would be our ideal offer because of the potential return, but the top end talent in this draft and potentially having two firsts in next years draft would put us in a situation to have abundant talent.

Sorry to create another Cousins thread, but honestly this is the best case scenario for us (besides him actually resigning to a reasonable contract).

There are a lot of reasons that teams would not negotiate a deal with Cousins knowing the price tag (2 1sts and a huge contract) but it puts the ball back in Kirks court, which is where he wants it. With teams hungry enough for a QB in his prime, I would think they might take the chance.

Thoughts?

A couple of problems. 

- First, there was that random report that there's an odd rule where players on a 3rd Tag can't be traded, but I haven't been able to confirm this so I don't know if its true. I haven't found any major media sources talking about it so it probably isn't true.  

- Second, Cousins would immediately cost $34 mil against our cap.  I'm assuming we would try to extend Cousins right up until the deadline to tag him, that deadline is March 6.  NFL free agency starts on March 14.  I think its very unlikely we find a trade partner for Cousins between March 6 and March 14.  So we'd be entering free agency with a huge burden on our salary cap.  

- Third, why would anyone trade us that much for Cousins?  If we tag him at $34 mil we are at Cousins' mercy.  We cannot tag him a 4th time (its against the rules) and any team we'd deal him to would have to take on the risk of Cousins not being willing to extend either.  A team would also have to take on a 30-year QB that wants a 100+ mil contract.  Who's going to pay two first round picks and then shell out $100+ mil?  No one.  A 2nd round pick or MAYBE a single late first is maximum value you could get for him.  I doubt we could even get that.  

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

A couple of problems. 

- First, there was that random report that there's an odd rule where players on a 3rd Tag can't be traded, but I haven't been able to confirm this so I don't know if its true. I haven't found any major media sources talking about it so it probably isn't true.  

- Second, Cousins would immediately cost $34 mil against our cap.  I'm assuming we would try to extend Cousins right up until the deadline to tag him, that deadline is March 6.  NFL free agency starts on March 14.  I think its very unlikely we find a trade partner for Cousins between March 6 and March 14.  So we'd be entering free agency with a huge burden on our salary cap.  

- Third, why would anyone trade us that much for Cousins?  If we tag him at $34 mil we are at Cousins' mercy.  We cannot tag him a 4th time (its against the rules) and any team we'd deal him to would have to take on the risk of Cousins not being willing to extend either.  A team would also have to take on a 30-year QB that wants a 100+ mil contract.  Who's going to pay two first round picks and then shell out $100+ mil?  No one.  A 2nd round pick or MAYBE a single late first is maximum value you could get for him.  I doubt we could even get that.  

They can be traded. But the 3rd Franchise the CANNOT be non-exclusive. So if we Franchise him, it as to be on the exclusive tag

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

They can be traded. But the 3rd Franchise the CANNOT be non-exclusive. So if we Franchise him, it as to be on the exclusive tag

Really? Damn. So we can’t tag and trade him?

@MKnight82, you can tag a player a 4th time but Kirk would cost $40 something million for one season so it’s not something we’d do.

I hate reruns and this is a rerun

you all may recall I really like and value Kirks contribution to our team. But; I’m weary of the BS associated with this issue.

theres an old saying my grandpappy told a young Doc Draper during his formative years:

divers-main.jpg

“xxxx or get off the pot” ( Thai and Woz- you have no idea how hard it was to not cause you fine fellows a problem with this post lol ) @Thaiphoon @Woz

lets try to be intelligient grown ups. I know it’s boring and hard, but it’s the right thing to do in this case. 

<deleted -- Bruce Allen> make an offer to Kirk that’s higher than Matt Stafford’s contract with guaranteed money. Tell Kirk’s agent <deleted - reference to Kirk's agent> he has 72 hours from receiving the offer to accept, reject or not respond. If they don’t accept this fair offer, release Kirk and move on.

jay, yeah I still think he’s a dumbsss, the teammates and most importantly the fans need to move on if he doesn’t accept. You can’t put your coach and team in limbo until may on who your quarterback is. If he doesn’t want a fair offer to play here, wish him well, depart as friends ( I have done this and it’s enabled considerably goodwill <deleted>  who are never happy with their new “greener grass” and get yourself in a position to move forward to a brighter future. 

Really, I’m happy to never see another thread or post on this drama associated with our current QB

doc’s words of wisdom- be an adult when you need to be, but also be a energetic late teen when you can be- and you’ll ( and your ex) will always smile 

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

We can tag and trade him. We just won't be getting 2 x 1sts. 

Oh ok. I was about to say, I hadn’t heard that and yeah, I’ve never ever thought we’d get two firsts for Cousins, even if we had allowed him to shop around the last two years. Teams just weren’t going to give up two first round picks and then have to sign Kirk to the most expensive contract in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

My unrealistic prediction: Redskins transition tag him. The 49ers work out a trade for Gimmy G and get a first rounder for him, then sign Cousins to a monster deal.

Plot twist.  The 49ers dupe the stupid Redskins into trading their first rounder for Jimmy G and then steal Cousins.  Jimmy G refuses to sign a long term deal here and leaves the following year.  

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Plot twist.  The 49ers dupe the stupid Redskins into trading their first rounder for Jimmy G and then steal Cousins.  Jimmy G refuses to sign a long term deal here and leaves the following year.  

This would be the ultimate Redskins thing to do.

So of COURSE its gonna happen.

20 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

So because I cannot find anything that stipulates that the third tag cannot be non-exclusive can you provide me with a link?

i remember reading an article a while back about doing just this (non-exclusive tag). I’ll look it up.

-edit- found it www.nbcsports.com/Washington/redskins/if-redskins-cant-get-long-term-deal-done-Kirk-Cousins-one-option-makes-most-sense

18 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

So because I cannot find anything that stipulates that the third tag cannot be non-exclusive can you provide me with a link?

i remember reading an article a while back about doing just this (non-exclusive tag). I’ll look it up.

-edit- found it www.nbcsports.com/Washington/redskins/if-redskins-cant-get-long-term-deal-done-Kirk-Cousins-one-option-makes-most-sense

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

The CBA states:

If the Club designates the player as a Franchise Player for the third time, the designating Club shall be the only Club with which the player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract.

Which basically means that all 3rd year franchise tags are automatically of the Exclusive variety

Archived