This is Horror Talk

MacReady

Twilight: a young teen comes to grips with feeling an attraction to a lethal weapon, a vampire who could tear her to pieces in a millisecond all the while her lifelong friend is a lethal weapon himself, poised to kill vampires or anyone that dare choose to associate with them. 

13 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If Wikipedia called Ben Roethlisberger a ballerina, would you take it as fact, or would you take it as Wikipedia? 

It's not a horror movie.  They can call it a horror movie all they want, but it's not a horror movie.  If you think it is, you also have to call Memento a horror movie, not a thriller.  Silence of the Lambs is horror, not a thriller.  No Country for Old Men is a horror, not a thriller.  Night Crawler, Mystic River, The Usual Suspects, Hannibal, Fatal Attraction, Vertigo, all of Hitchcock's movies... They're all thrillers.  None of them are horror.  By the same definition, The Others is a thriller, not a horror.

You're calling it a horror based on the faulty definition of a horror where the line is drawn based on whether or not the ANTAGONIST or the PROTAGONIST create the action.  If the protagonist did nothing, would there be a movie?  If the answer is no, it's a thriller.  If the answer is yes, it's a horror.  But the problem with that definition is that it doesn't work in dozens of scenarios. 

If you think two paragraphs is too much to read, I could literally carry this conversation on for thirty paragraphs.  Don't Breathe isn't a horror movie, it's a thriller.  If  you disagree, No Country for Old Men is a horror.  Same logic. 

548727841befd2d5735515f92046439e.jpg

I can see you're very passionate about this.  

Just now, JLambert58 said:

I can see you're very passionate about this.  

I also turn into a little bit of a jerk about it, too.  Sorry about that.  Yes, I am very passionate about it.  Just a little bit of a soapbox issue of mine, the difference between horror/thriller. 

30 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, that's what I heard.  I won't fall for that one again.  The Village nearly ruined me. 

No joke.  That ending was so ridiculous I wanted to rewind it back and make up my own.  Anything I came up with would have been better than the actual "twist" ending.

Edited by FosterTheSkins

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I thought the witch was excellent. 

I also don't think Get Out is a horrible flick. Seems like more of a thriller to me.

Yea the witch just didn’t do it for me. Get Out was pretty solid but like you said it’s not really horror, more thriller which is perfectly fine because I like both.

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yea the witch just didn’t do it for me. Get Out was pretty solid but like you said it’s not really horror, more thriller which is perfectly fine because I like both.

I'd suggest rewatching the witch. I caught a LOT more dialogue the 2nd time through. 

And agreed Get Out was really well done.