Bills fire Rick Dennison as OC

gopherwrestler

5 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

Oh I agree that Daboll isn't a realistic hire, but he would be intriguing for sure. We took a gamble on a young up and coming head coach prospect in McDermott and that looks like it paid off so far. I would like to see us hire a young up and coming offensive mind. Chud, McCoy, and Bevell are all blah to me.

While as enticing as it is it may just be to risky to make a move like that. If we had an offensive minded head coach then I'd be all for it but McDermott is defensive minded. We need someone who has experience coaching an offense. 

Mike McCoy reportedly isn't getting the Job... So happy. Bills fans overrate him. He was good once... Before his Charger HC job in 2013. Hasn't been the same since. Dude is crap.

My top two would be Darrell Bevell or Rob Chudzinski.

I like Rob more cause he has proven success with multiple QBs. He called plays for a running QB like Cam Newton but also a pocket passer in Andrew Luck.

I could also see him bringing in Ken Dorsey as QB coach. Dorsey has McDermott connection at Carolina and had played QB for Rob Chudzinski when he was the Browns OC. I would move David Culley to WRs coach and fire Phil McGeorghan.

46 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Mike McCoy reportedly isn't getting the Job... So happy. Bills fans overrate him. He was good once... Before his Charger HC job in 2013. Hasn't been the same since. Dude is crap.

I like Rob more cause he has proven success with multiple QBs. He called plays for a running QB like Cam Newton but also a pocket passer in Andrew Luck.

I could also see him bringing in Ken Dorsey as QB coach. Dorsey has McDermott connection at Carolina and had played QB for Rob Chudzinski when he was the Browns OC. I would move David Culley to WRs coach and fire Phil McGeorghan.

It is funny you say this because I had the exact same thought. Not impressed at all with McGeorghan especially the way his man Zay Jones played. Wonder if Cully would be okay with moving back to WR coach (apparently the hardest position to fill in the NFL).

18 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

It is funny you say this because I had the exact same thought. Not impressed at all with McGeorghan especially the way his man Zay Jones played. Wonder if Cully would be okay with moving back to WR coach (apparently the hardest position to fill in the NFL).

Bet he would be fine. It's the position he has worked the most. And they're both position coaches positions so it's just a lateral move.

3 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Culley is so old, I wonder if he even relates to the players. I have someone else in mind, but doubt we could get him. I think Karl Dorrell, the Jets WR coach, is the most impressive one in the league. Yeah, I know, he's under contract with that hated team, but he gets guys to deliver, period. My backup choice would be Dave Canales from Seattle. He's even younger than Dorrell, but not likely to be pried away from that team either. Again, a guy that gets his players to step up and do their best. That's the kind of coaches I want added.

[EDIT] - I'd put Chad O'Shea (Patriots) next. If things really are that unstable over there, he might actually be someone we could snag.

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

It wasn't his fault that the OC decided to play a slot receiver out wide. It didn't take a genius to know what would happen

2 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

It wasn't his fault that the OC decided to play a slot receiver out wide. It didn't take a genius to know what would happen

He could play outwide. But he is a Split End... Same as Kelvin Benjamin. So Zay was forced to play Flanker

4 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Culley is so old, I wonder if he even relates to the players. I have someone else in mind, but doubt we could get him. I think Karl Dorrell, the Jets WR coach, is the most impressive one in the league. Yeah, I know, he's under contract with that hated team, but he gets guys to deliver, period. My backup choice would be Dave Canales from Seattle. He's even younger than Dorrell, but not likely to be pried away from that team either. Again, a guy that gets his players to step up and do their best. That's the kind of coaches I want added.

[EDIT] - I'd put Chad O'Shea (Patriots) next. If things really are that unstable over there, he might actually be someone we could snag.

Culley isn't that old...  62. Some coaches coach into there 70s. But he is flat out one of the best WRs coach in the NFL. We need to move him back to WRs coach.

And it is nice to have a nice mix of experience. The issue with young guys is they are more likely to get promotions. They could be future Coordinators and Head Coaches...while a guy like Culley likely won't ever be seen in the same light.

6 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

But the WR not running the right depth of their routes or knowing how to get off a jam effectively definitely falls on him. 

33 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Heard that Pegulas jet is in Tuscaloosa Alabama... Brian Daboll is the Alabama OC. Being brought up in NFL jobs this year.  He is a WNY Native. And both him and McDermott were at William and Mary during Seans playing day.

Born in Welland, Ontario B|

On 1/13/2018 at 2:33 PM, marshawn lynch said:

Culley isn't that old...  62. Some coaches coach into there 70s. But he is flat out one of the best WRs coach in the NFL. We need to move him back to WRs coach.

And it is nice to have a nice mix of experience. The issue with young guys is they are more likely to get promotions. They could be future Coordinators and Head Coaches...while a guy like Culley likely won't ever be seen in the same light.

With the hiring of Daboll, I don't think a young age is viewed as a negative or that we'd fear them being successful and being lured away. However, I do agree that it would be better to have a mix of experience on our coaching staff. Karl Dorrell is older than me and I'm one of the 2 oldest participating in the Bills forum! Still, at some point age differences become awkward and possibly an issue. Our coaches have to relate to the players on more than just an x's & o's level, so that they can get the players to work even when they just aren't feeling it that day.

Archived