Nick Perry?

TheOnlyThing

There has been quite a bit of discussion about Clay Matthews and his role at OLB, which is understandable given Clay's (i) age, (ii) "productivity", (iii) injury history, (iv) salary, and (v) the need for more production out of the position.

But how do people view Nick Perry? 

He will be 28 when the 2018 season begins. He finished tied for 40th in sacks this season with 7 (.5 behind Clay -- and with 3 of those sacks coming in 1 game when Trubisky pretty much ran into at least a couple of the sacks). 

Perry, who was resigned to a not-insignificant contract last offseason, was also injured and missed quite a bit of time in 2017. Again. I think Perry's injury history, both in terms of games lost and the sheer variety of injuries to different parts of the body, stacks up with anyone on the Packers the past decade.

I don't see any chance that a player like Perry, who just singed a big deal, is in his prime ,and plays a marquee position, is any danger of losing his spot on the roster.

On the other hand, can the Packers really rely upon Perry to give them the type of production they so desperately need at OLB/DE?

Other than hoping he remains healthy, I guess there is not much the Pack can do regarding Perry, but if the D is going to improve in 2018, Nick's production has got to increase next season.

I'd adore it if he was a surprise trade this offseason.  In the NFL, your best ability is your availability.  And that's true in spite of how lame that saying is, which says a lot.  Perry only missed 4 games this year, but it felt like he missed half the season.  More than the new GM, more than the new DC, more than all the changes, I want this to be the year we radically change our pass rush. 

When Perry is healthy he's basically unblockable. Gotta get another GOOD EDGE Rusher, try to keep him more fresh and healthy. Look at what Perry has done in the playoffs too, we just need another impact guy (Marcus Davenport) to keep Clay and Nick healthy/fresh.

I think he's an ok player but he's very inconsistent and unreliable.  It's pretty clear that he will never approach his 2016 season again.  I    know it will never happen but we really need Perry to stay healthy.  He's getting paid substantially too much for season's like last year.  IMO he was part of our problem last year when it came to our inability to get to the passer.

He's a very frustrating player.  Some games he looks unblockable.  Other games he gets man handled and humiliated by 4th strong caliber tackles.  

46 minutes ago, SSG said:

I think he's an ok player but he's very inconsistent and unreliable.  It's pretty clear that he will never approach his 2016 season again. 

How so?

46 minutes ago, SSG said:

He's a very frustrating player.  Some games he looks unblockable.  Other games he gets man handled and humiliated by 4th strong caliber tackles.  

What game did he get man handled by a 4th string OT? I'd like to go back and look at the film. Thanks!

52 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

How so?

What game did he get man handled by a 4th string OT? I'd like to go back and look at the film. Thanks!

I  think he's unreliable because he's shown to be completely incapable of staying on the field.  He's yet to play a full season as a pro.  You can't rely on a guy who can't stay on the field.  As far as the inconstancies go, he's got one season in his entire NFL career where he showed that he could be a consistent pass rusher.  Far too often he provides very little as a pass rusher.  Last year he got almost half his sacks on the season in one game.  Far too often he was easily blocked.

The game that comes to my mind immediately is the first Detroit game.  They were on their 3rd or 4th string LT and he absolutely dominated Nick Perry.  He might as well have sat on the bench.  

He's being paid like he's en elite edge rusher and thus far through one year of his deal he hasn't been that guy.  He had one great game last year and was rather mediocre for the vast majority of it. 

22 minutes ago, SSG said:

I  think he's unreliable because he's shown to be completely incapable of staying on the field.  He's yet to play a full season as a pro.  You can't rely on a guy who can't stay on the field.  As far as the inconstancies go, he's got one season in his entire NFL career where he showed that he could be a consistent pass rusher.  Far too often he provides very little as a pass rusher.  Last year he got almost half his sacks on the season in one game.  Far too often he was easily blocked.

The game that comes to my mind immediately is the first Detroit game.  They were on their 3rd or 4th string LT and he absolutely dominated Nick Perry.  He might as well have sat on the bench.  

He's being paid like he's en elite edge rusher and thus far through one year of his deal he hasn't been that guy.  He had one great game last year and was rather mediocre for the vast majority of it. 

Ok, I get it, you're a Nick Perry hater. "Had 1 great game" ??? ?

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

"when Perry is healthy..."

We need more pass rushers so we can rotate Perry so he stays healthy. That goes for Clay too. There's a reason the Eagles DL has been so effective this year

Yep, they are really good players, but depth is king.

3 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

"when Perry is healthy..."

We need more pass rushers so we can rotate Perry so he stays healthy. That goes for Clay too. There's a reason the Eagles DL has been so effective this year

This is where I'm at. Letting Peppers walk was the right move at the time but he would have helped a lot this year. They haven't restocked EDGE enough, but maybe I'm off base with my obsession. In the last 5 drafts they've only drafted three true EDGE players (Biegel, Fackrell, Palmer). Hopefully that changes under Gutey

Archived