Nick Perry?

TheOnlyThing

5 minutes ago, ugLymayNe said:

This is where I'm at. Letting Peppers walk was the right move at the time but he would have helped a lot this year. They haven't restocked EDGE enough, but maybe I'm off base with my obsession. In the last 5 drafts they've only drafted three true EDGE players (Biegel, Fackrell, Palmer). Hopefully that changes under Gutey

I still remember throwing my headset across my dorm room when we drafted Perry. I wanted Mercilus. 

Now I would kill for another Perry being available at 28 (?) or wherever we drafted him

2 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I still remember throwing my headset across my dorm room when we drafted Perry. I wanted Mercilus. 

Now I would kill for another Perry being available at 28 (?) or wherever we drafted him

Those were the years I was obsessed with Waldo's numbers...and I was so jacked they drafted him I bought his jersey when he was a rookie. I think that was when the Nike jerseys came out too

6 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I wasn't a Nick Perry fan, but who else was available? Perry is still good...just needs a full year of health. So far that's been elusive.

2 minutes ago, Hands said:
11 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I wasn't a Nick Perry fan, but who else was available? Perry is still good...just needs a full year of health. So far that's been elusive.

We didn't need him, but Harrison Smith :( 

1 minute ago, ugLymayNe said:
3 minutes ago, Hands said:

I wasn't a Nick Perry fan, but who else was available?

Everyone here liked Courtney Upshaw. 

I didn't like Upshaw and I didn't like Perry. I liked Mercilus who went 2 picks before

1 minute ago, ugLymayNe said:

iirc I wanted Perry, Hightower or Worthy. Jerel was such a bust.

I really liked Harrison Smith. Kinda wish we took him considering we lost Collins earlier that year. We released him days before the draft

43 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Ok, I get it, you're a Nick Perry hater. "Had 1 great game" ??? ?

Not a Nick Perry hater at all.  Like I  said earlier, he's an ok player but is extremely inconsistent and very unreliable.  Please show me the games where Nick Perry was an elite edge rusher?  For the majority of last year he was easily neutralized and often offered very little as a pass rusher.  He got almost half his sacks on the season in one game.  He was paid like he was an elite pass rusher and he was anything but last year. 

I  seem to remember him playing well in the opener, what games was Nick Perry dominate in?

15 minutes ago, SSG said:

Not a Nick Perry hater at all.  Like I  said earlier, he's an ok player but is extremely inconsistent and very unreliable.  Please show me the games where Nick Perry was an elite edge rusher?  For the majority of last year he was easily neutralized and often offered very little as a pass rusher.  He got almost half his sacks on the season in one game.  He was paid like he was an elite pass rusher and he was anything but last year. 

I  seem to remember him playing well in the opener, what games was Nick Perry dominate in?

This year or overall?

11 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

This year or overall?

This year as that was what I was referring to.  He got a monstrous contract and proceeded to give us a very mediocre season in which he put very little pressure on the QB.  As a pro, his pass rush has been extremely inconsistent something we can't afford as long as we're paying him like he's an elite edge rusher.  

23 minutes ago, SSG said:

This year as that was what I was referring to.  He got a monstrous contract and proceeded to give us a very mediocre season in which he put very little pressure on the QB.  As a pro, his pass rush has been extremely inconsistent something we can't afford as long as we're paying him like he's an elite edge rusher.  

Well we aren't paying him like he's elite. There are a lot of guys who got bigger contracts than him. Plus, Perry is an elite run defender and he is a terrific pass rushers when healthy. I don't get your beef with Perry. Both him and Matthews were victims of having 0 depth this year.

52 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Well we aren't paying him like he's elite. There are a lot of guys who got bigger contracts than him. Plus, Perry is an elite run defender and he is a terrific pass rushers when healthy. I don't get your beef with Perry. Both him and Matthews were victims of having 0 depth this year.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  FIVE 3-4 OLBs in the NFL make more money than Nick Perry.  That is my definition of elite company when it comes to contracts.  

I  don't view him as a tremendous pass rusher.  He's got 37.5 career sacks in 6 NFL seasons (79 career games RS and PO). He's got one season with double digit sacks and that season was BY FAR his the best in his career.  He's finished in the top 10 in sacks just once (tied for 8th with 5 players, last year) his best season prior to that was finishing tied for 99th.  This year he tied for 40th.  I  was going to compile the number of players who have had more sacks than Perry since he's been in the league but that number of players is so ridiculously high that it would have taken a substantial amount of time to do on just one laptop screen.  As far as being a pass rusher goes, he's got one season that is far and away better than anything he's ever done as a pro and that season was a contract season.  Whitney Mercilus has 7 more career sacks in the same number of seasons and was signed long term for almost half of what were paying Perry a season.

While depth is an issue, it hardly was a reason that Nick Perry struggled to get to the passer.  I don't think his production would have went up with fewer pass rushing opportunities.  

I don't have a beef with Nick Perry.  My beef is paying an average pass rusher like he's an all pro or a perennial pro bowler.  We can't afford our highest paid players playing like their just average starters.

Archived