Nick Perry?

TheOnlyThing

1 hour ago, Hands said:

I wasn't a Nick Perry fan, but who else was available? Perry is still good...just needs a full year of health. So far that's been elusive.

I also think he also needs a force coming from the opposite side to "push" the pocket his way or cause disruption he can take advantage of. Meaning, he's not a monster pass rusher in his own right. Not a dig at his abilities necessarily, there are lots of players that aren't individual game changers. 

We need a bona fide, lives for nothing other than eating QB's - pass rusher.....or two. Everybodies play will seem to elevate with such a presence.

2 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I didn't like Upshaw and I didn't like Perry. I liked Mercilus who went 2 picks before

How were you bitter about a guy us not taking a guy who was off the board :D?! I def was a Mercilus fan, was hoping he'd keep falling. Same thing with Heyward in 2011 - 1 pick away!

2 hours ago, SSG said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.  FIVE 3-4 OLBs in the NFL make more money than Nick Perry.  That is my definition of elite company when it comes to contracts.  

I  don't view him as a tremendous pass rusher.  He's got 37.5 career sacks in 6 NFL seasons (79 career games RS and PO). He's got one season with double digit sacks and that season was BY FAR his the best in his career.  He's finished in the top 10 in sacks just once (tied for 8th with 5 players, last year) his best season prior to that was finishing tied for 99th.  This year he tied for 40th.  I  was going to compile the number of players who have had more sacks than Perry since he's been in the league but that number of players is so ridiculously high that it would have taken a substantial amount of time to do on just one laptop screen.  As far as being a pass rusher goes, he's got one season that is far and away better than anything he's ever done as a pro and that season was a contract season.  Whitney Mercilus has 7 more career sacks in the same number of seasons and was signed long term for almost half of what were paying Perry a season.

While depth is an issue, it hardly was a reason that Nick Perry struggled to get to the passer.  I don't think his production would have went up with fewer pass rushing opportunities.  

I don't have a beef with Nick Perry.  My beef is paying an average pass rusher like he's an all pro or a perennial pro bowler.  We can't afford our highest paid players playing like their just average starters.

I think he actually cost us about 6m against the cap last year which puts him at like 26th for OLB (not gonna sort through just edge guys) and behind 22 defensive ends. 

5 hours ago, cannondale said:

I remember Perry saying pre-draft that he preferred playing the 4-3 so I saw no reason to draft him. Lots of fans wanted McClellin that year.

I was one of those.  Really upset when the bears got him.  I didn't like Upshaw all that much at all.  

Turns out Perry was the right choice.

I'd still love to see him rush with his hand in the dirt.  I always thought that he was more explosive out of the three point stance.  Maybe this is the year.  It looks like MP lets his edge rushers switch quite a bit.  I never really understood why Dom was so against it.

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

I remember Perry saying pre-draft that he preferred playing the 4-3 so I saw no reason to draft him. Lots of fans wanted McClellin that year.

I remember that vividly.  I remember being absolutely stoked when the Packers took him, and remember being on the other side of the McClellin argument.  I wanted nothing to do with Shea.

He's an OK first guy to have, a great second guy to have, but he can't be both. Clay and Brooks we're 3s this year. I'm just not sure what you could get for Perry, or who you'd replace him with considering I still feel as though it's difficult to convince high level FAs to come to GB. Hell it was this hard to get Perry to stay...

https://twitter.com/JuMosq/status/948755122280046595

Wasn't sure where to drop this in because it could lead in multiple different directions...  FA debates on the top 2 available edge rushers in Lawrence and Ansah... Clay clearly not as bad as some are making him out to be. (Still worth considering a restructured deal, given what he is making.)  Or the fact that Perry isn't on this list at all...

2 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

He's an OK first guy to have, a great second guy to have, but he can't be both. Clay and Brooks we're 3s this year. I'm just not sure what you could get for Perry, or who you'd replace him with considering I still feel as though it's difficult to convince high level FAs to come to GB. Hell it was this hard to get Perry to stay...

He's a #2 for me.  IF Clay were playing at his earlier career level, I'd feel more comfortable but he's more valuable being moved around.

1 hour ago, Cheech said:

Wasn't sure where to drop this in because it could lead in multiple different directions...  FA debates on the top 2 available edge rushers in Lawrence and Ansah... Clay clearly not as bad as some are making him out to be. (Still worth considering a restructured deal, given what he is making.)  Or the fact that Perry isn't on this list at all...

They'll either be re-signed prior to FA or be franchise tagged.  Quality pass rushers rarely make it to FA.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

They'll either be re-signed prior to FA or be franchise tagged.  Quality pass rushers rarely make it to FA.

It is still very early.  I'd like to hope that their agents have them hold out for a bigger deal in UFA.  Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett found their way to Seattle...

Archived