Nick Perry?

TheOnlyThing

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

We could have.....but did he want to stay?

Been on a podcast kick lately. Forget who it was, maybe Wilde. His take was yes. His take was also that the way MM spoke so glowingly about him before the Carolina game that maybe Peppers was one of the many reasons MM was pissed off at the roster. IIRC we didn't offer Peppers anything

46 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Been on a podcast kick lately. Forget who it was, maybe Wilde. His take was yes. His take was also that the way MM spoke so glowingly about him before the Carolina game that maybe Peppers was one of the many reasons MM was pissed off at the roster. IIRC we didn't offer Peppers anything

You're correct. We did not and I'm sure there was a debate here at one point over it. 

When Perry is healthy, he's easily a reliable pass rusher....

.....when he is healthy...

58 minutes ago, Leader said:

We could have.....but did he want to stay?

I think we didn’t keep Peppers was because the hope was there was hope someone would step up between Fackrell, Biegel, and J Elliot. Biegel got hurt, Fackrell was a disappointment, J Elliot was seem as worse than Fackrell and was traded/cut. A Brooks was a camp cap cut by SF and was seem a stop gap.

4 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I think we didn’t keep Peppers was because the hope was there was hope someone would step up between Fackrell, Biegel, and J Elliot. Biegel got hurt, Fackrell was a disappointment, J Elliot was seem as worse than Fackrell and was traded/cut. A Brooks was a camp cap cut by SF and was seem a stop gap.

Which further pissed off some I'm sure. Next man up hasn't worked in quite a while now. I have been trying to connect the dots in my head since the fireworks started. I may be wrong, but I have most of the dots connected I'd like to think

8 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Peppers was gone before Biegel was even drafted.   

I am guessing the hope was improvement from Fackrell and Elliott.  Possibly a EDGE rusher was desired earlier in the draft, but a good amount of them were gone by the mid 2nd IIRC.  

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Which further pissed off some I'm sure. Next man up hasn't worked in quite a while now. I have been trying to connect the dots in my head since the fireworks started. I may be wrong, but I have most of the dots connected I'd like to think

I’m not debating this. I completely agree. Especially pass rushers, it is kind of wishful thinking to think you’ll strike gold.

http://m.espn.com/nfl/leagueleaders?groupId=9&season=2017&seasonType=3&statgroup=defense&category=sacks

Looking at players who finished in the top 30 in sacks, only like 6 players were taken outside the top 70 (C Lawson, G Adkins, E Griffen all had character flags or would have gone higher... cam wake, m Bennett,  and M Addison were 3 of about 2000  undrafted players a year)

If you have a 7+ potential sack guy, you kind of have to keep him. It’s also wishful thinking to think average athlete Biegel, Fackrell, Elliot will come out of nowhere 

19 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Peppers was gone before Biegel was even drafted.   

I am guessing the hope was improvement from Fackrell and Elliott.  Possibly a EDGE rusher was desired earlier in the draft, but a good amount of them were gone by the mid 2nd IIRC.  

Still they knew they were going to take one in the first several rounds (likely not round 1 since they could have taken Watt but passed and the board didn’t have a ton of rushers late 1-2

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know if this is accurate from Demovsky's piece below?

"After the 2018 season, the Packers could move on from Perry and actually gain salary-cap space."

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/37824/nick-perrys-contract-with-packers-not-as-monstrous-as-it-seems

There is nothing I'd like more for this never should have been drafted, overpaid, nothingburger to be sent on his way along with Clay after this season, but I'm not sure its correct.

3 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

"After the 2018 season, the Packers could move on from Perry and actually gain salary-cap space."

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/37824/nick-perrys-contract-with-packers-not-as-monstrous-as-it-seems

There is nothing I'd like more for this never should have been drafted, overpaid, nothingburger to be sent on his way along with Clay after this season, but I'm not sure its correct.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/nick-perry-9838/

12 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

If we don't cut him, we have a 14.7M cap hit for him. If we do, it's 11.1M.

So yeah, we save 3.6M minus whatever his replacement makes.

Archived