Nick Perry?

TheOnlyThing

11 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Nick Perry is on pace for 3 sacks this season, the same as undrafted free agent Reggie Gilbert.

Kyler Fackrell is on pace for 8 sacks and Clay for 5.

Elite production? 

How about simply mediocre play from a guy counting $10.7M against the cap?

Perry's play has been abysmal in Pettine's scheme in 2018 and unless it improves dramatically in the second half of the season he may well be another long time veteran who Gute sends packing this offseason despite the dead cap number associated with such a move.

Kyler Fackrell had 3 of his sacks in run out the clock pressure package time in one game. The starters weren't playing because it was over. Come on. 

We have 4 edge rushers and none of them are getting sacks. The reason isn't that they're all worthless. This is a decently talented group of guys, it's just hard to get sacks if you're not getting any help from the scheme. 

I'm in the camp of just taking the hit next year if he doesn't restructure. As things sit, we have 43M in cap space with nobody to resign. If we had to take a hit, next year seems like a logical year to do it. We will have some big deals in 2020/2021 with Clark and Blake.

With that said, I'd keep Perry, if he brought his non-guaranteed portion of his deal down to 4M. That is what mediocre rushers are going for today.

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We have 4 edge rushers and none of them are getting sacks. The reason isn't that they're all worthless. This is a decently talented group of guys, it's just hard to get sacks if you're not getting any help from the scheme. 

Thats an interesting point - one which I've seen you make before and support with video proofs.

But where does that indicate we're taking this? As an organization - if we're "scheming" the talent we've got out of the play - or out of effectively offering consistent pass rush - what are we going to do? Whats the plan?  Is there a different EDGE type player we'll be looking to pick up to replace the current crew - that fits the scheme? Do you have any example of current NFL players that would fit our current scheme better than the guys we've got? In other words - whats the plan moving forward?

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats an interesting point - one which I've seen you make before and support with video proofs.

But where does that indicate we're taking this? As an organization - if we're "scheming" the talent we've got out of the play - or out of effectively offering consistent pass rush - what are we going to do? Whats the plan?  Is there a different EDGE type player we'll be looking to pick up to replace the current crew - that fits the scheme? Do you have any example of current NFL players that would fit our current scheme better than the guys we've got? In other words - whats the plan moving forward?

The plan moving forward is very likely: continue to scheme pressure for the DL and blitzers. 

In a very real sense, guys like Perry and Gilbert who have the pop to walk guys back and to play off the Ends are what you're looking for here. You want to collapse the pocket and make the QB uncomfortable with the bodies in close proximity so he'll take his eyes off the receivers and give the blitzers time to get home

One of the advantages that this scheme offers you from a team building perspective is that you can afford to go cheap on your edge rushers. But that money needs to get spent on the DL and secondary because you're going to be playing with very light boxes and playing a lot of man coverage with the amount you're going to blitz. 

The way the money on this Packers team is currently distributed is all wrong for Pettine's defense. The role currently being played by Whitehead is arguably the most important role on this defense that isn't either the 3-tech or the #1 CB. Unfortunately, that position is being manned by Whitehead.

We are also really missing a 3rd stud Dlineman. Lowry is the guy arguably being put in position for pressures among the DL, god help us all. Daniels is giving it his all, but man this isn't his game in a lot of ways. Length matters in this scheme. Everybody after Clark and Daniels presents their own real problems. Wilkerson wasn't perfect, but man he was a step up from what we've got now and he was born to play in this scheme. 

I think a lot of people are going to be shocked when the first round picks next year don't get spent one edge rushers and instead go to a DE and a DB

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The plan moving forward is very likely: continue to scheme pressure for the DL and blitzers. 

In a very real sense, guys like Perry and Gilbert who have the pop to walk guys back and to play off the Ends are what you're looking for here. You want to collapse the pocket and make the QB uncomfortable with the bodies in close proximity so he'll take his eyes off the receivers and give the blitzers time to get home

One of the advantages that this scheme offers you from a team building perspective is that you can afford to go cheap on your edge rushers. But that money needs to get spent on the DL and secondary because you're going to be playing with very light boxes and playing a lot of man coverage with the amount you're going to blitz. 

The way the money on this Packers team is currently distributed is all wrong for Pettine's defense. The role currently being played by Whitehead is arguably the most important role on this defense that isn't either the 3-tech or the #1 CB. Unfortunately, that position is being manned by Whitehead.

We are also really missing a 3rd stud Dlineman. Lowry is the guy arguably being put in position for pressures among the DL, god help us all. Daniels is giving it his all, but man this isn't his game in a lot of ways. Length matters in this scheme. Everybody after Clark and Daniels presents their own real problems. Wilkerson wasn't perfect, but man he was a step up from what we've got now and he was born to play in this scheme. 

Good post. Thanks for that. Sounds like we're "in between" things at this stage. The secondary's coming together - but the up front package still needs tweaking.
Here's an interesting video clip. DL Clark and Daniels bring it. Perry, CM & Martinez drop into coverage and Josh Jones is the designated blitzer (third rusher) off off the edge.

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think a lot of people are going to be shocked when the first round picks next year don't get spent one edge rushers and instead go to a DE and a DB

So........Raekwon Davis (Alabama, 6'7", 306) with the first, round 1 pick, or maybe Derrick Brown (Auburn 6'4", 322) with the second round 1, and perhaps Safety Marvell Tell III (USC 6'2", 195) with the round 2  ???

56 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Kyler Fackrell had 3 of his sacks in run out the clock pressure package time in one game. The starters weren't playing because it was over. Come on. 

AG, what about pressure. We are blitzing well but why isn't Perry winning any one on one battles? Obviously you can't answer that. Seems that we just can't win those one on one battles. CM is struggling there, i understand the scheme doesn't set them up. But Perry is invisible.

57 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

So........Raekwon Davis (Alabama, 6'7", 306) with the first, round 1 pick, or maybe Derrick Brown (Auburn 6'4", 322) with the second round 1, and perhaps Safety Marvell Tell III (USC 6'2", 195) with the round 2  ???

I'll say this, this is the year to be picking for that guy. We're looking for Leonard Williams.

Quennin Williams probably won't be there at 15.

Jeffrey Simmons if you can stomach his off the field issues.

Rashan Gary if you're confident he's gonna be able to hold weight.

Ed Oliver is probably a little small if it's true he's playing at 6'1 285

Dre'Mont Jones will get some looks.

Zach Allen will get some looks, but I'm really not a fan, (So he'll be JJ Watt)

Gerald Willis is a guy that's gonna be interesting to look at with a few off the field things. One year wonder.

+++

Davis, Tillery, Wilkerson, Buggs, and Lawrence, are all the bigger NT types. 

This safety class is rough. We should be looking for a vet or a CB to transfer to Safety.

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'll say this, this is the year to be picking for that guy. We're looking for Leonard Williams.

Quennin Williams probably won't be there at 15.

Jeffrey Simmons if you can stomach his off the field issues.

Rashan Gary if you're confident he's gonna be able to hold weight.

Ed Oliver is probably a little small if it's true he's playing at 6'1 285

Dre'Mont Jones will get some looks.

Zach Allen will get some looks, but I'm really not a fan, (So he'll be JJ Watt)

Gerald Willis is a guy that's gonna be interesting to look at with a few off the field things. One year wonder.

+++

Davis, Tillery, Wilkerson, Buggs, and Lawrence, are all the bigger NT types. 

This safety class is rough. We should be looking for a vet or a CB to transfer to Safety.

Raekwon Davis and Jerry Tillery are mirror images, 6'7" 310.  I'll take Tillery of the two.

Jeffrey Simmons had ONE incident. Yes, he hit a woman, but MState looked into it and it let him play. The incident was him defending his sister.  Don't let a 10 second video be the last word on things.

Look up Terry Beckner Jr.- Mizzou  6'4" 295.  Looks like a tub of jelly but he's one year removed from a knee injury and seems to play his a** off. @ThatJerkDave, can you help us out on that one?

My wish for a safety is Grant Delpit from LSU.  The kid looks like a game changer.  He's a sophomore and could come out. 6'3" 205.

2 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Raekwon Davis and Jerry Tillery are mirror images, 6'7" 310.  I'll take Tillery of the two.

Jeffrey Simmons had ONE incident. Yes, he hit a woman, but MState looked into it and it let him play. The incident was him defending his sister.  Don't let a 10 second video be the last word on things.

Look up Terry Beckner Jr.- Mizzou  6'4" 295.  Looks like a tub of jelly but he's one year removed from a knee injury and seems to play his a** off. @ThatJerkDave, can you help us out on that one?

My wish for a safety is Grant Delpit from LSU.  The kid looks like a game changer.  He's a sophomore and could come out. 6'3" 205.

Tillery is better than Davis. Guy has been a stud for Notre Dame for a while, though I think he also has some off the field red.

The woman Simmons hit was laying on the ground and he was hitting her while his sister (I believe) was kicking her. This was a ghetto street fight that he got involved in. 

10 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

6'3" 205.

Image result for tell me more meme

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Tillery is better than Davis. Guy has been a stud for Notre Dame for a while, though I think he also has some off the field red.

The woman Simmons hit was laying on the ground and he was hitting her while his sister (I believe) was kicking her. This was a ghetto street fight that he got involved in. 

Yes he was.  But again, 10 seconds of video and Miss State investigated and still let him play.  As long as that was the only instance I'm good with it.  I'd bet the 30 seconds before that 10 seconds was some wild a** stuff going on.

Archived