The Travel Help Thread

Texansfan713

On 1/13/2018 at 6:17 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:
On 1/13/2018 at 5:56 PM, Dingo18287 said:

Is paying the premium worth it?

I believe so. I wasn't for the first few months, but you get so many more emails and the mistake fares sent to you with the premium. And you can pick exact airports with the premium instead of region. We ended up getting tickets for my sister-in-law Seattle to Manila for ~400 so it's already paid for itself.

Is it worth it for one trip?

We're thinking about doing a trip later this summer, but that'll probably be it for another couple years.  At least, that'll be it for flights.

17 hours ago, MrDrew said:

You're thinking about it wrong. It's not that she doesn't do well on long car rides, it's that you haven't tried things to make the ride easier. If you have to make a long drive, kep her up longer tha usual, and leave at night after bedtime. Sucks you have to drive while everybody sleeps, but it makes it easier. 

Rotating you and mom in the back with her also works if it has to be during the day. Wake her up early, and pushing out nap time is another trick.

Don't stop living because you have a kid. You may have to change the way you would normally do things, but it can be done. If I could make the drive back and forth from CO to CA with a 2yr old, and a 6yr old, anybody can do it.

Yeah taking kids in the car is really not that bad.  Now, i wouldn't want to fly with small ones.  Not only because they would have trouble with it, but the expense as well.  But we've done a lot of 3-10 hr trips with our 4 year old, and a few on the shorter range with our 6 month old.  

We're probably waiting a few more years before we do a flight with the kids.

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

Is it worth it for one trip?

We're thinking about doing a trip later this summer, but that'll probably be it for another couple years.  At least, that'll be it for flights.

Depends on where you're thinking of flying, when, how flexible you are in where you go. You could sign up for just a few months and see what pops up. Think a 3 month sign up is 15 dollars. 

Some examples I have gotten in the last week, Seattle to Dublin 400, Seattle to Iceland for 390, LAX to Venice for 390, Seoul to Chicago for 575. 

Just now, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Depends on where you're thinking of flying, when, how flexible you are in where you go. You could sign up for just a few months and see what pops up. Think a 3 month sign up is 15 dollars. 

Some examples I have gotten in the last week, Seattle to Dublin 400, Seattle to Iceland for 390, LAX to Venice for 390, Seoul to Chicago for 575. 

We're pretty flexible on where we go.  We had been thinking of going out west somewhere, Oregon being one our top choices, but it doesn't really matter.  When is another thing though.  It almost has to be early August or late July due to our schedules.

In general, when is a good time period to start looking at flights?  We're about 6-7 months out right now.  This is probably too early, and July is probably too late.  Where is the sweet spot?

Just now, theJ said:

We're pretty flexible on where we go.  We had been thinking of going out west somewhere, Oregon being one our top choices, but it doesn't really matter.  When is another thing though.  It almost has to be early August or late July due to our schedules.

In general, when is a good time period to start looking at flights?  We're about 6-7 months out right now.  This is probably too early, and July is probably too late.  Where is the sweet spot?

I try to hit about 3 months out. I usually try to fly mid-week but understand that isn't always possible. Google flights and Skyscanner are my usual go-to's for flight search engines.

2 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I usually try to fly mid-week

That's a good tip, and actually we should be able to do that pretty easily i think.  She's a teacher, and my work schedule is fairly flexible.

On 1/14/2018 at 9:16 AM, bucsfan333 said:

Mine doesn't do well with long car rides. And I don't wanna fly with her. I'd never put anyone else through it.

It'll probably be a few years before we can go somewhere for vacation.

My daughter will be 14 months when we fly to Florida this fall. Please pray for my sanity...

My wife wanted to drive it. I literally lol'd in her face...

25 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

My daughter will be 14 months when we fly to Florida this fall. Please pray for my sanity...

My wife wanted to drive it. I literally lol'd in her face...

Mine is 13 months right now. My girlfriend is always wanting to go somewhere. She wants to go to Pennsylvania for Groundhog day. She wants to go to Florida again. Etc. The baby likes running around too much. No way she'd survive a flight, even if it's only a couple hours. I couldn't imagine chasing her around an airport for a couple hours before we even get on the plane.

Good luck, man.

Archived