2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

While free agency doesn't really begin until mid-March, I wanted to create a thread for us to talk about potential free agents we should target, ones we should avoid and all that. 

To start, there's a good 101 here on contract re-structuring, which has an effect on cap space and thus potential moves in free agency, as well as some Broncos candidates for contract restructuring/re-negotiation. 

Would someone smarter than I care to lay out the Broncos cap space going into 2018? I see on Spotrac that we have about $26 Million of space. Rookies will need to be factored in, and obvious cuts (cya Watson). 

I think the wild card weekend games got me off the Tyrod train, I would be a fan of bringing in Bridgewater although I have no idea what kinda contract he will demand.

Figured I’d add this to this thread since it’s about the current team and where Denver is at.

Its the player Pro Football Focus rankings for the main pieces this year for the Broncos.

Ill add, I do like some of PFFs analytics, but it also has some flaws as well.  Further I know 2 guys that work for them, one does DB analysis for them and he is by no means a sports or even football guy.

QB:

Trevor Siemian- 53.3 overall.  Poor.

Brock Osweiler- 47.7 overall.  Poor.

Paxton Lynch-  42.3 overall. Poor.

RB:

CJ Anderson- 85.9 overall. High Quality.

Jamaal Charles- 51.0 overall. Poor.

Devontae Booker- 72.8 overall. Average.

FB:

Andy Janovich- 56.9. Poor.

WR:

Demaryius Thomas- 75.3 overall.  Average.

Emmanuel Sanders- 70.7 overall. Average.

Cody Latimer- 76.1 overall.  Average.

Bennie Fowler- 47.9 overall. Poor.

Jordan Taylor- 65.7 overall. Below Average

Isaiah McKenzie- 47.8 overall. Poor.

TE:

Virgil Green- 43.1 overall. Poor.

Austin Traylor- 69.9 overall. Below Average

Jeff Heuerman- 73.6 overall.  Average.

OT:

Garett Bolles- 68.8 overall. Below Average

Menelik Watson- 38.9 overall. Poor.

Allen Barbre- 44.3 overall. Poor.

Donald Stephenson- 42.5 overall. Poor.

OG:

Max Garcia- 41.2 overall. Poor.

Ron Leary- 81.2 overall. Above Average

Connor McGovern- 40.2 overall. Poor.

OC:

Matt Paradis- 75.2 overall. Average.

DE:

Derek Wolfe- 78.0 overall.  Average.

Adam Gotsis- 77.1 overall. Average.

Zach Kerr- 80.1 overall.  Above Average.

Shelby Harris- 81.2 overall. Above Average

DT:

Domata Peko- 80.0 overall. Above Average

OLB:

Von Miller- 95.0 overall. Elite.

Shane Ray- 50.7 overall. Poor.

Shaq Barrett- 82.1 overall. Above Average

DeMarcus Walker- 75.2 overall. Average.

ILB:

Brandon Marshall- 54.6 overall. Poor.

Todd Davis- 77.1 overall. Average.

Zaire Anderson-66.7overall.Below Average

CB:

Chris Harris- 83.5 overall. Above Average

Aqib Talib- 86.2 overall. High quality.

Bradley Roby- 84.0 overall. Above Average

S:

Darian Stewart- 70.3 overall. Average.

Justin Simmons-80.2 overall.Above Average

Will Parks- 47.5 overall. Poor.

Hopefully I didn’t miss anyone too important.  If I did let me know.  It doesn’t take a subscription to see the info, though.

As much as flack PFF gets their top 10 position players list is pretty spot on this year imo and I think the list you laid out was pretty accurate as well. 

Thats a pretty mediocre team right there even with a good qb. I know having a good qb would mask some of our problems but man we lack talent.

6 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

As much as flack PFF gets their top 10 position players list is pretty spot on this year imo and I think the list you laid out was pretty accurate as well. 

Thats a pretty mediocre team right there even with a good qb. I know having a good qb would mask some of our problems but man we lack talent.

Which is why I don't want to get rid of some of the pieces we already have just to sign a high priced QB who won't be worth the money.

1 hour ago, BroncoSojia said:

Which is why I don't want to get rid of some of the pieces we already have just to sign a high priced QB who won't be worth the money.

I mean I'm not gonna lie a transcendent qb and a stud rb makes the offense rate better. And the defense having good field position and staying off the field helps the defensive ratings. But... Cousins is not that transcendent qb.

People think Denver does a quick rebuild for a multitude of reasons. Games like the one against the Jets make people think we're on the doorsteps of title contending.  Than we see Cousins light up a bad team and think lets gamble on him and all will be well.

I'm happy that Elways end of the presser didn't sound as optimistic as years prior. Shows hes not taking the 1 player away approach.  In the end this approach nets the best results. The eagles front office prior to this year said they weren't there yet. 

That's when good things happen.  Heck who knows if we draft a qb maybe the team can have a portion of success the raiders had a year prior. Except, 10 and 6 12 and 4 is such a tall task for a rookie or a bridge qb.

Hell 10 and 6 is a stretch even for a guy like Kirk. We won't get much better besides the draft. We'll probably lose some talent via cuts, Free agency.

The fact is there is no such thing as a rebuild that term is made up like a unicorn. You either draft well or you don't, you either sign free agents that perform up too or past their value or you don't . You build the team one piece at a time one step at a time so it has a strong foundation. Cousins isn't a golden goose just like in the terminator movies skynet didn't stop the virus skynet was the virus. PEYTON MANNING or Drew Brees are the exception not the norm. Throwing 30 million a year to a guy that isn't a golden goose isn't smart.

We are in a drought guys a majority of you can drink the water filled with pesticides because you're thirsty.  Me and some others are gonna boil in first.

On 1/13/2018 at 11:11 PM, thebestever6 said:

We are in a drought guys a majority of you can drink the water filled with pesticides because you're thirsty.  Me and some others are gonna boil in first.

Edited Saturday at 11:59 PM by thebestever6

Man we just won the super bowl a few years ago if this is a drought what are teams like browns experiencing. I totally agree that drafting well is the most important thing for turning this team around and hitting on such a high draft pick along with the rest of the draft will put us right back in contention.

6 minutes ago, MillerTime81 said:

Man we just won the super bowl a few years ago if this is a drought what are teams like browns experiencing. I totally agree that drafting well is the most important thing for turning this team around and hitting on such a high draft pick along with the rest of the draft will put us right back in contention.

To be honest and I’ve said it multiple times, if Denver had a competent QB this year they’d have been in the playoffs.

The biggest worry is that Denver’s defense likely continues to slide slowly.  Especially if they go out and sign a guy like Cousins for $25-30 million a year.

27 minutes ago, MillerTime81 said:

It's a drought because we are going from Peyton Manning an all time great to the worst qb play in the nfl. You're not moving on from Orton, tebow, Plummer.  Nothing to do with being spoiled.

12 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

It's a drought because we are going from Peyton Manning an all time great to the worst qb play in the nfl. You're not moving on from Orton, tebow, Plummer.  Nothing to do with being spoiled.

It’s beyond QB.  OL DE ILB 3rd WR TE (Butt is only guy with any upside) and soon CB will be needed.   It’s no real mystery our draft well ran dry and our bargains stopped being bargains on their 2nd contract.  

It starts with QB but the well has run dry in our overall depth.   A good to great QB is worth about 4W a year.   That’s just enough to make us mediocre.   Best case one and done worst case not quite good enough to make the playoffs.  

The outlook isn’t all bleak - if we could actually address our draft problems.   Ideally FA is where you address the biggest short term problems but long term depth and stability is all draft.  Why the 2011 draft set us up for a 4-5 year run (like NO’s 2017 draft has them in great shape even with cap issues).  

Sadly we didn’t address how we draft though it’s just the status quo with Matt Russell. Until then it’s hard to see Elway draft his way out of our current mess.  

20 minutes ago, germ-x said:

No one has talked about it yet and I am by no means a strict PFF guy, but what did people think about their end of the year player rankings for Denver?

I explained my point a qb helps mask a lot of issues on offense. Plus butt and Henderson come back. And better offense and field position help the d play better because they are rested.

54 minutes ago, germ-x said:

No one has talked about it yet and I am by no means a strict PFF guy, but what did people think about their end of the year player rankings for Denver?

PFF isn’t perfect (biggest issue is that they treat each opponent similarly so who you face isn’t factored in well).   But it’s a sobering outlook for sure.   The part that’s worrisome is the career trajectory for our best players too.   If we are lucky Paradis, Ray and Marshall bounce back from injuries.   Barbre and Walker were asked to play from their ideal position (and Walker needs to bulk up).  

The awful part was how much PT we gave to Garcia and JC when better players were available.   In JC’s case literally 2.6M we could have saved and given both Booker and D-Henderson more time.  And it wasn’t hindsight in either case that was the call from the get go.  SMH.    

The young guys could in theory get better but yeah in 2 words....no bueno.   

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It’s beyond QB.  OL DE ILB 3rd WR TE (Butt is only guy with any upside) and soon CB will be needed.   It’s no real mystery our draft well ran dry and our bargains stopped being bargains on their 2nd contract.  

It starts with QB but the well has run dry in our overall depth.   A good to great QB is worth about 4W a year.   That’s just enough to make us mediocre.   Best case one and done worst case not quite good enough to make the playoffs.  

The outlook isn’t all bleak - if we could actually address our draft problems.   Ideally FA is where you address the biggest short term problems but long term depth and stability is all draft.  Why the 2011 draft set us up for a 4-5 year run (like NO’s 2017 draft has them in great shape even with cap issues).  

Sadly we didn’t address how we draft though it’s just the status quo with Matt Russell. Until then it’s hard to see Elway draft his way out of our current mess.  

I don't think that's true. Just the other day Elway talked about an expanded role for Kubiak in the personnel department, both FA's and college players. That hardly seems like an endorsement of the status quo.

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think that's true. Just the other day Elway talked about an expanded role for Kubiak in the personnel department, both FA's and college players. That hardly seems like an endorsement of the status quo.

I just worry we are relying in a guy like Kubiak to do a job he's never done. I know he was instrumental to getting Darian Stewart here so that's one player unless theres more to the story.

Archived