2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

44 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, here's the dilemma from my perspective. We can sign  FA QB for about $20 million, draft around him, and hope the guys good enough. We can draft a QB at 5 and throw him to the wolves but have him for 5 years cheap or we can combine the two, FA QB spaceholder and a top draft pick.

Haven't got a clue what the best option is.

Well the think is if we go rookie plus veteran you have to make sure the match bodes well. Like if Lamar Jackson absorbs what a smart qb like Case Keenum that would bode extremely well for our long term aspects. In this scenario comes to fufillment we could pick a huge impact player at 5 or trade down and fill a bunch of holes.

Scenario 2 is we trade up for Rosen I'm not in favor of trading up 3 spots and including an extra first. If we got a deal similar to the bears and gave up 2 3rds we wouldn't even notice that. We will still have a comp 3rd, plus picks we aquire with other trades. We can also spend the money in free agency to replace talib and get other value signings.  This is a 10 year move but with Josh Rosens injury history it scares me. 

Or stay at 5 and draft Baker. A lot of options. If we got Baker or Allen I prefer throwing them to the wolves the stop gap only makes sense if a guys a ways away,and at 5 thats not ideal.

8 hours ago, FireVanceJoseph said:

Trade up to 1 and take the best QB instead of one with more questions than answers at 5. That is the best option.

you cannot trade up to 1. it will cost you way too much. im not a fan of giving up our 1st 2nd 3rd and next year's 1. we need our picks. gotta go bpa 

7 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Well the think is if we go rookie plus veteran you have to make sure the match bodes well. Like if Lamar Jackson absorbs what a smart qb like Case Keenum that would bode extremely well for our long term aspects. In this scenario comes to fufillment we could pick a huge impact player at 5 or trade down and fill a bunch of holes.

Scenario 2 is we trade up for Rosen I'm not in favor of trading up 3 spots and including an extra first. If we got a deal similar to the bears and gave up 2 3rds we wouldn't even notice that. We will still have a comp 3rd, plus picks we aquire with other trades. We can also spend the money in free agency to replace talib and get other value signings.  This is a 10 year move but with Josh Rosens injury history it scares me. 

Or stay at 5 and draft Baker. A lot of options. If we got Baker or Allen I prefer throwing them to the wolves the stop gap only makes sense if a guys a ways away,and at 5 thats not ideal.

I'll take option 3. wouldn't mind trading down but love nelson. or fitzpatrick to add to great defense

13 minutes ago, FireVanceJoseph said:

You can and must trade up to 1 if you can't sign Cousins. Being cheap is what got us where we are right now.

I agree it's great to land your guy.  But we are here for way more reasons than cheap. Elway traded up to take lynch in round 1 he gave up a 3rd. Elway just is poor at evaluating qbs hopefully kubiak can help.  Elway should of never hitched himself to the Brock is the successor band wagon. But being Brock was raw that was always the plan a dumb plan. We could of had Kirk already, or Russel Wilson.

I still don't believe in trading up future first for roster building it only worked for the rams because of the Washington and Bradford trade, and philly because they flipped bradford for a 1st.

25 minutes ago, FireVanceJoseph said:

You can and must trade up to 1 if you can't sign Cousins. Being cheap is what got us where we are right now.

What?... We spent tons of money on Manning, Ward, Talib, Ware, Stewart and Sanders. That's not including extensions to Harris, DT, Anderson and Von. We went to two superbowls and won one... Our team got picked apart and Our FAs given large deals. That's what happens when you're a successful team. We're in the position we're in because of poor drafting, not because of being cheap. 

50 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

What?... We spent tons of money on Manning, Ward, Talib, Ware, Stewart and Sanders. That's not including extensions to Harris, DT, Anderson and Von. We went to two superbowls and won one... Our team got picked apart and Our FAs given large deals. That's what happens when you're a successful team. We're in the position we're in because of poor drafting, not because of being cheap. 

Way to miss the point.

8 hours ago, FireVanceJoseph said:

To move up to #1 takes all of our picks this year and a few more next. Just who is it that you see being that valuable?

20 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

To move up to #1 takes all of our picks this year and a few more next. Just who is it that you see being that valuable?

I'm all for staying put and picking a qb who you can best get a system for. Hell even trade down and get Allen who has traits similar to flacco. At best we trade a,3rd to move up to 3. I really don't wanna move up. I want to make our o line top 5. 

Trade down get Nelson, select a,rt in round 2 and jackson. Round 3 get the bpa rb like a John Kelly or insert crazy runner here. We improve tremendously. 

I'm talking rich mans,buffalo.

I just don't get this forum for all the beatings elway takes very few on this forum analyze things in a vacuum.

1) anyone think it's odd Elway got two 3 4 des in back to back years round 2? I think it's because he trusts bill collar. Even though its a redshirt year.  Does anyone have doubts Walker will be worth that pick?

2) Mike Mccoy got fired for the offense being too complicated so did the wr coach . This is also odd. Maybe it's because Carlos Henderson an A+ prospect for the slot and kick return didn't see the field.

3) we hate the Bolles pick but Foster keeps looking like a dud off the field. So pairing Bolles with Butt at te in the 5th is,very smart.  Butt is a better value in round 5 than ingram or howard in round 1.

4) Special Teams coordinator gone. I'm not blaming him for Isiah Mckenzie but when a rookie gets rattled its a deep hole to dig out of on the fly. He needed to be sat,down longer.

5) Henderson didn't see the field the rb and when he did in the pre season and regular season he was an explosive bowling ball.

6) the Langley pick was understandable after the development of webster, roby, and harris. I think a yr is too early  to give up on a corner. 

Bottom line, this organization is terrible at developing talent and I don't think a majority is pick related.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

If we got a guard, rb, rt, maybe even te in this draft. And having dt come back, carlos henderson, jake butt. Maybe even sign a decent wr in free agency.

If all this happened what is stopping Lamar Jackson from having a rookie year as good as Dak?

Now that's kind of a interesting  point.

46 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Now that's kind of a interesting  point.

Guy is electric and Vance Joseph a former dual threat qb could teach him how to protect himself. Plus for as skinny as his frame is he was never injured in college. We could have a dominant ball control offense.

Ball control offense is so important because 95% of the time top is critical look at the superbowl. Tom Brady didn't have clock eating sustained drives that killed new england.

We all say Dak is a product of the situation drafted in. My ? Is why does that matter? He's getting better and experience he is one of the best qbs on a rookie deal due to situation. Jackson can be the same way. Scary part is he got better and more efficient every year as a passer. He also has a high football iq and louisville had him do everything literally dependent on him like panthers with cam or the colts with Manning.

My dream depth chart in 2018 on o

Qb) Lamar Jackson, Chad Kelly, Paxton Lynch

Rb) John Kelly, Deangello Henderson, Devonte Booker

Wr) Dt, Rookie wr, or vet option with free agent money from cousins ala Paul Richardon, Carlos Henderson, Cody Latimer

Te) Butt, rookie te, I'm drawing a blank on that young te that looked good in limited action.

Lt) Bolles

LG) Leary 

C) Paradis, Mcgovern

Rg) Quentin Nelson

Rt) guy scouted at senior bowl

Thats a top 15 offense top 10 time of possession offense. This team would have an identity besides an elite d, this offense would have an identity for the first time since 2014 when Peyton was playing well. THREE YEARS WE'VE GONE. When dt gets old and done we'd have a Dallas cowboys type offense from 2016 .

Archived